No announcement yet.

Gennady Golovkin vs David Lemiuex Does Roughly 150,000 PPV Buys

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by OnePunch View Post
    you are conflicting "legacy" with "marketability". Sure, beating Ward looks great on a Hall of Fame ballot, but the average person on the street couldnt pick Ward out of a lineup. The fight does NOTHING for GGG's marketability and exposure, which is why he desperately needs the Cotto-Canelo winner.

We will have to agree to disagree on this point.
    you mean like they could pick out GGG or Lemiuex?

Comment

you are conflicting "legacy" with "marketability". Sure, beating Ward looks great on a Hall of Fame ballot, but the average person on the street couldnt pick Ward out of a lineup. The fight does NOTHING for GGG's marketability and exposure, which is why he desperately needs the Cotto-Canelo winner.

We will have to agree to disagree on this point.
      I agree, his profile amon casuals is raised by beating Canelo or Cotto.

You think it would hurt GGG's marketability to beat the guy most people think is the best in the world when he fights on a regular basis?

GGG would be the #1 p4p fighter in the sport, with the BEST win out of any fighter in the world-beating Ward who hasn't lost since 1998.

If that hurts GGG in any way then we all need to stop watching the sport.

Obviously, I strongly disagree but you are entitled to feel the way you do.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
        I agree, his profile amon casuals is raised by beating Canelo or Cotto.

You think it would hurt GGG's marketability to beat the guy most people think is the best in the world when he fights on a regular basis?

GGG would be the #1 p4p fighter in the sport, with the BEST win out of any fighter in the world-beating Ward who hasn't lost since 1998.

If that hurts GGG in any way then we all need to stop watching the sport.

Obviously, I strongly disagree but you are entitled to feel the way you do.
        Indirectly, yes. It would impair his ability to land the kind of fights (Cotto, Canelo) that will be necessary to improve his marketability.

If beating difficult fighters with ugly styles and no fan bases was somehow the golden ticket to marketability, guys like Rigo and Ward would have people beating down their doors for a fight.

Comment

• Originally posted by anonymous2.0 View Post
          Wut. I don't believe that, its not uncommon for fighters move up for marque fights. Crawford fought hard hitting Prescott at 140 and got his career a good boost out of it.
          But that's exactly it, Ward, right now, is NOT a marquee fight. Ward has absolutely no name right now. A fight between them will not have ANY belts on the line. When hyping up that fight, you're basically hoping that the fans in America remember who Ward was 3+ years ago. Or that Froch fans developed a grudging respect for him.

Golovkin himself and his promoter has said multiple times in 2015 that Ward fight is not a PPV fight.

I personally don't think a Ward-GGG fight right now has a chance in hell of getting any (50k) PPV buys.

That's the whole point of this exercise, that's why he's chasing big names, so he can make a name for himself.

Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
          First off, fighting ward right now was a better, more important, more lucrative fight that would've appealed to more fans then the Lemuiex fight. Ward Isn't a big name, but he is bigger than Lemuiex.

WIth all due respect, you are looking at it in the worst possible way. Is that realistic?Win or lose the obstacles are still there.

If he loses, he goes back to 160 and fights for the same MW titles he wants now. The only thing is he isn't undefeated. If he wins, he goes back to 160 with an elevated status and a bigger PPV sales number, which may entice a Canelo into a fight.

GGG going to 168 to fight Ward isn't a lose/lose situation. Its more like Canelo fighting Floyd-a loss doesn't hurt you so much because you were not expected to win.

Besides, boxing has a way of rewarding those who make bold moves.
          I think what I'm looking at is realistic. If he picked Ward over Lemieux and lost, he would not have picked up another belt, and had a chance at the Canelo/Cotto fight. He certainly wouldn't generate more buzz about himself (losing rarely does).

As I said above, I disagree with you that Ward-GGG would outsell Lemieux-GGG. None of those 3 have a great name, but at least the DL-GGG had a unification/Titles thing going for it. How are you gonna promote GGG-Ward? "You don't know the Euro, and you forgot the American, but they talked a lot of trash to each other and are also two of the best fighters today"?

Beating Ward would be even worse. Let's say for the sake of the argument that GGG/Ward magically generates 250k buys. There's absolutely no way that Canelo or Cotto would ever fight him. They'll know they don't have a chance in hell, but they'll gain another excuse. "Well he fights at 168, while I fight at 154, sorry you're a bully picking on a smaller fighter". Canelo and his fans already try to say that GGG is too big for Canelo.

And no, Ward/GGG is not same thing as Canelo/Floyd. Not only will GGG be the smaller fighter, uncomfortable at the weight, but Floyd's popularity is miles and miles and miles and miles ahead of Ward's.

Comment

• Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post
            You know, I've been thinking about it and the more I consider it, I'm not convinced it does that many buys. I mean, I would love for Cotto-Canelo to do a milly or more but is there enough evidence to show that's what'll happen? Maybe we need to temper expectations a lil' bit.
            I Think ppl are forgetting that we LATINOS are the ones that buy the PPV in boxing, Mexicans are the ones that get NUMBERS UP, everybody is talking about Canelo vs Cotto, every1 wanna c this fight, i definitely see this fight doing north of 1m mark.

Comment

Indirectly, yes. It would impair his ability to land the kind of fights (Cotto, Canelo) that will be necessary to improve his marketability.

If beating difficult fighters with ugly styles and no fan bases was somehow the golden ticket to marketability, guys like Rigo and Ward would have people beating down their doors for a fight.
              He isn't getting the fights anyway FFS. Stop using that as a ****ing crutch. Beating ward will only help, not hurt.

If this is the case, you could argue losing to Ward might make them more likely to fight GGG.

Ward and Rigo do not have the same fanbases-stop it.

Ward is now backed by Jay-Z, which surely would help the fights marketing and promotion so can we stop acting like Ward has no backing.

Yes, fighting Ward is a huge risk, that's why beating him will help GGG's marketability-it eliminates the main critique of him-his resume lacks any great fighters.

How does anyone think beating the best doesn't matter in a sport where all any fan asks is that the best fight each other?

Comment

• Originally posted by PrBoxing88 View Post
                I Think ppl are forgetting that we LATINOS are the ones that buy the PPV in boxing, Mexicans are the ones that get NUMBERS UP, everybody is talking about Canelo vs Cotto, every1 wanna c this fight, i definitely see this fight doing north of 1m mark.
                If that were the case then Cotto-Margarito would have done a million because that was as hyped as this bout. It did 525K. So no it doesn't work like that.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
                  He isn't getting the fights anyway FFS. Stop using that as a ****ing crutch. Beating ward will only help, not hurt.

If this is the case, you could argue losing to Ward might make them more likely to fight GGG.

Ward and Rigo do not have the same fanbases-stop it.

Ward is now backed by Jay-Z, which surely would help the fights marketing and promotion so can we stop acting like Ward has no backing.

Yes, fighting Ward is a huge risk, that's why beating him will help GGG's marketability-it eliminates the main critique of him-his resume lacks any great fighters.

How does anyone think beating the best doesn't matter in a sport where all any fan asks is that the best fight each other?

And thats starting to change. He just sold out the Garden, and we'll know in a month whether the Cotto-Canelo winner will fight him or vacate instead.

If the Cotto-Canelo winner vacates, and GGG cant get the final unification with Lee, then at THAT point it probably makes sense for him to consider moving up. But everything they have been trying to line up for the past 3 years is now finally within reach. They would have been fools to set that aside for a Ward fight.

But like I said before, we simply disagree on this. Yet you still keep trying to convince me. Can you not accept that some people have a different opinion than you?

Comment

• Ppvs aren't great just because one demographic or the other. They are great Beavis they appeal to all demograpbics. Hispanic, black, white, women, young adults etc. U guys have such a simplistic view of how television is marketed. The major ppv stars will always be those who cross demographics. Floyd did, manny did. Oscar did, Tyson did. Canelo hasn't neither has Cotto. Golovkin never will. He doesn't appeal to any demographic bit hardcore boxing fans who have a hard time understanding that they are, in fact a huge minority of ppv buyers.

Comment

• 500,000 viewers is the preliminary estimate for viewers in Poland on PolSat TV.

GGG is an international star.

Comment

Working...
                      X