No announcement yet.

Gennady Golovkin vs David Lemiuex Does Roughly 150,000 PPV Buys

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by carloscruz10009 View Post
    I think Floyd-Judah is probably a fairer comparison. Because with Gatti, many will argue that Floyd was the B-side. Even though history can make the argument that Floyd was never a true B-side, even against Oscar. Because Floyd is all of his opponents biggest number. Either way, Floyd's first PPV as the unquestioned A-side was Judah, which I believe did about 375K.

Either way, history shows that a guy needs to conquer the hardcore community before trying to crossover. GGG seems to have believed he could crossover without any substance to the hype. If hardcore fans question your legitimately, history shows that casual fans will totally ignore you. It's not over for GGG. But, he needs to step up and prove he's worthy of the hype. Hopefully, this is a wake up call.
    Floyd absolutely was the b-side to Gatti and ODH IMO even though he was favored to beat both.

I just think maybe GGG fans jumped the gun a bit and put crazy expectations on him. The reality is he may never be a star like Floyd or Manny. He may fall short of Cotto and Canelo.

He chose Lemeuiex over Ward and fans responded by not buying as much as we all thought or hoped. Hopefully, its a lesson learned.

Comment

• Originally posted by LacedUp View Post
      You obviously didn't get my post.
      Then why would you say "Whats your point?" in the earlier post.You compared Ward's ratings vs Smigga with the PPV buy rate of GGG-Lemeiux.

Comment

• Originally posted by Deevel916 View Post
        So you dont agree that it takes for a great fighter to beat a star/s in order to become a star himself? Especially a foreign one?

I never put much stock into this ppv doing well. You have a Kazakh fighting a Canadian in NYC. This fight should have been on regular HBO.
        Those are not th topics for this thread. If you make a thread to discuss those, I will go in and agree with you.

Just don't deflect. GGG didn't meet expectations. Lets as fans have a civil discussion about real reasons why and then move on.

You should stop with deflecting and excuse making. According to guys like you, those are traits of a certain group of fans that guys are (allegedly) not.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
          Floyd absolutely was the b-side to Gatti and ODH IMO even though he was favored to beat both.

I just think maybe GGG fans jumped the gun a bit and put crazy expectations on him. The reality is he may never be a star like Floyd or Manny. He may fall short of Cotto and Canelo.

He chose Lemeuiex over Ward and fans responded by not buying as much as we all thought or hoped. Hopefully, its a lesson learned.
          And completely ignores the fact that Ward went on the record to say that he will need 3 tune-ups before facing GGG. Ward/GGG would have never happened last week even if GGG moved up to 168 to get it done.

Ward is facing a #30 ranked Aussie journeyman in his next fight yet you feel he would have taken the GGG fight? LOL. Yeah ok!

Comment

Those are not th topics for this thread. If you make a thread to discuss those, I will go in and agree with you.

Just don't deflect. GGG didn't meet expectations. Lets as fans have a civil discussion about real reasons why and then move on.

You should stop with deflecting and excuse making. According to guys like you, those are traits of a certain group of fans that guys are (allegedly) not.
            Yet when people use the excuse of baseball, WNBA, time of season, etc being a reason why PBC's ratings arent up to par, its totally acceptable by you to be brought up in the thread topic. GTFO...

Comment

• Originally posted by Box-Office View Post
              Then why would you say "Whats your point?" in the earlier post.You compared Ward's ratings vs Smigga with the PPV buy rate of GGG-Lemeiux.
              Yeah, as in Ward's numbers were crap.

Comment

Had you said this before the fight-and argued the fight should be off PPV for these reasons-your post would have some validity to it.

That you waited means it comes off as sour grapes and excuse making.
                We haven't talked about this before the fight, you're thinking of someone else. It's my first time commenting on this topic. My points still stand, and I don't think anyone would argue them.
                -Cable TV and PPV are dying because of internet streaming and Netflix/Hulu
                -Having a country behind you means good PPV numbers
                -Comparing a fight between 2 foreigners in USA to Floyd is silly.

No one is arguing that the event flopped, at least according to the promoter who said that anything above 200k is a success. They overestimated their ability to promote the fight on PPV.

Comment

And completely ignores the fact that Ward went on the record to say that he will need 3 tune-ups before facing GGG. Ward/GGG would have never happened last week even if GGG moved up to 168 to get it done.

Ward is facing a #30 ranked Aussie journeyman in his next fight yet you feel he would have taken the GGG fight? LOL. Yeah ok!
                  Offer to Fight ward at 168 just like you were willing to do Froch and Chavez Jr. That would've gotten the fight made and all of us would've been more excited. Even you know this.

SO Ward fighting him next shows you he wouldn't have accepted a GGG fight. Lets put GGG under the same light. GGG has never faced a top tier fighter, so it is clear he wouldn't fight Ward.

GGG didn't take a risk and fans appear to have not purchased the PPV in part because he didn't. Usually, you applaud fans for doing this. Yet know you seem to have a problem.

Comment

What folks like you fail to realize is that Ward is already established. Bringing up his recent history isn't relevant. Y'all act as if a shot at GGG needs to be earned. GGG is not a prize that needs to be earned. So in essance, to achieve what GGG wants to achieve, he needs Ward more than visa versa. Ward offers him legitimately.

Comment

I thought the promotion for this fight was horrid. If you want to get people to pay $60 to watch three marginal fights you need to spend a lot more money than they did.

That being said, PPV IS a dying model. The UFC and WWE have seen sharp declines in PPV buys since roughly 2009. Streaming, playback, etc have made PPV an increasingly tough sell. May-Pac was a massive outlier, not a trend.

PBC is the future of boxing, like it or not. Once PBC gets a nice TV deal, PPV will be a thing of the past

Comment

Working...
                      X