Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Joseph Parker Stops Meehan In Three, Remains Unbeaten

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This guy is 23 years old which is really young for a heavyweight, so I hope they take their time. Obviously he could use a step up in competition because fighting the same level of guys that they currently are would probably hurt his career. But if they up and decided that they were three years away from fighting top fighters, I wouldn't have a problem with that at all. Keep him busy and get him in there tougher, but still realize just how young the guy is for his division.

Comment

I think Parker will be doing bum fights for some time. His management seems to be fine with taking him veery slow, which is fine. He's young for a HW.

KJ is a total bum at this point. He might be a good one. Teper might be a bit much at this point..

Comment

Originally posted by Bram View Post
        This guy is 23 years old which is really young for a heavyweight, so I hope they take their time. Obviously he could use a step up in competition because fighting the same level of guys that they currently are would probably hurt his career. But if they up and decided that they were three years away from fighting top fighters, I wouldn't have a problem with that at all. Keep him busy and get him in there tougher, but still realize just how young the guy is for his division.
        I dont think age should come into it personally.

He's several levels above what he is fighting currently, whether he is 18 or 33 that doesnt change.

I dont like it either when fans (not you) say, "well 'X' fighter was doing this when he was that age/stage in their career"

Why does it matter?

Just judge their performance levels and move them through as and when it seems right.

He was matched better in 2014 (in relation to the level he was at) imo with Sherman Williams, Minto, Kieth Thompson and Nascimento. Since Sherman Williams I feel its been pretty poor and i never expected any of his opponents to make it out of the first few rounds

Edit: For the record not saying he needs to be in the top 10 mixing it up but theres levels between a 45yr old Kali Meehan and the top 10
        Last edited by Tom Cruise; 10-15-2015, 10:31 AM.

Comment

Expected result by Parker. He seems to be on the fast track to HW stardom. Hoping his team can get some fights in the U.S. or in Germany to get him some primetime exposure to these boxing markets.

I think his team is moving him along at just the right pace. He's facing decent, but not overly dangerous, opposition and winning handily. I'd like to see him step up against guys like Scott, Browne, Fedosov, Kassi, Leapai or even Eddie Chambers.

Comment

Originally posted by BostonGuy View Post
            Expected result by Parker. He seems to be on the fast track to HW stardom. Hoping his team can get some fights in the U.S. or in Germany to get him some primetime exposure to these boxing markets.

I think his team is moving him along at just the right pace. He's facing decent, but not overly dangerous, opposition and winning handily. I'd like to see him step up against guys like Scott, Browne, Fedosov, Kassi, Leapai or even Eddie Chambers.
            These are good shouts. Except for maybe Chambers as I have no idea what he is doing these days and last time I saw him he looked pretty poor.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Cruise View Post
              These are good shouts. Except for maybe Chambers as I have no idea what he is doing these days and last time I saw him he looked pretty poor.
              Chambers has been the chief sparring partner to the Furys and has fought a handful of bums the last several years. Chambers has stated that he wants to get back into mix in 2016.

I think Chambers would be a great opponent. He's highly durable veteran fighter with good skills and handspeed but lacks any meaningful power. A guy like Chambers would give Parker some good rounds.

Comment

Originally posted by BostonGuy View Post
                Chambers has been the chief sparring partner to the Furys and has fought a handful of bums the last several years. Chambers has stated that he wants to get back into mix in 2016.

I think Chambers would be a great opponent. He's highly durable veteran fighter with good skills and handspeed but lacks any meaningful power. A guy like Chambers would give Parker some good rounds.
                His defence would definitely give Parker something to think about if he has something left

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Cruise View Post
                  I dont think age should come into it personally.

He's several levels above what he is fighting currently, whether he is 18 or 33 that doesnt change.

I dont like it either when fans (not you) say, "well 'X' fighter was doing this when he was that age/stage in their career"

Why does it matter?

Just judge their performance levels and move them through as and when it seems right.

He was matched better in 2014 (in relation to the level he was at) imo with Sherman Williams, Minto, Kieth Thompson and Nascimento. Since Sherman Williams I feel its been pretty poor and i never expected any of his opponents to make it out of the first few rounds

Edit: For the record not saying he needs to be in the top 10 mixing it up but theres levels between a 45yr old Kali Meehan and the top 10
                  I agree with you that he should be fighting better fighters because, like I said, continuing on like he is now is probably bad for him.

What I'm saying is that - why not take advantage of his age? We have decades and decades of examples of fighters being moved too quickly, in retrospect, even when it may not have felt like it at the time. So if you have a heavyweight in this era who apparently CAN actually fight and is only 23 years old, you definitely step him up but at the same time you give him every opportunity to achieve. Move him slower and he almost certainly has a longer career, makes more money and has more of a chance of becoming whatever it is he's going to be.

Comment

I think Parker will be fighting some decent opposition next year, he is getting moved along a fair bit quicker than Wilder. I don't think Parker will still be fighting bums in his 32nd fight.

Comment

Impressive! This guy is an offensive machine - he's like the Samoan Drago

Comment

Working...
                      X