No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Roman Gonzalez: The Latest Superstar Project For HBO

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Roman Gonzalez: The Latest Superstar Project For HBO

By Lyle Fitzsimmons - Ladies and gentlemen, it’s good to be Peter Nelson.

Not only can the guy reach into a briefcase and pluck a resume with the word “HARVARD” scrawled across the top in big crimson letters, but he’s also pulled off what might just be the coolest college major/real job metamorphosis of all time.

Just think, one day you’re in Massachusetts slogging through a semester of ancient and classical Greek language and literature. And the next you’re in New York helping assemble a roster of boxing talent that’s returned HBO to a long-professed spot as premium cable’s “Network of Champions.”

No offense to the Byzantine-philes in the crowd, but it looks from here like Nelson’s landed on his feet.

These days, as vice president of sports programming, he’s got a behind-the-scenes seat as the three-lettered juggernaut endeavors to build Nicaraguan dynamo Roman Gonzalez into something that might resemble Manny Pacquiao 2.0.

You remember that barrier-breaking drill, right?

One day he’s a small guy from another country. The next day he’s a global phenomenon.

“Manny made significant strides in that respect,” Nelson said. “He fought so many great Mexican fighters along the way that I think he became someone that the Latino community came to embrace. You saw a similar kind of thing occur with Golovkin when he said that he fights in a Mexican style, and you saw that a lot of fans in the Mexican community were embracing Golovkin.

“In boxing – and tennis has this to some degree as well – there’s kind of a Genghis Khan effect that occurs where if you’ve defeated someone I admire that I start to like you and I start to root for you. It’s a wonderful sport in that respect because it’s not as narrow as ‘I’m going to root for this person because he’s from the same place as I’m from.’ I think there’s a greater expanse of what a fighter’s fan base can achieve in that respect.” [Click Here To Read More]

Curious to see if they can make him into a star. I like him but have my doubts regarding his potential public appeal.

Comment

if they had given viloria the same treatment 10yrs ago, viloria wouldve been a star.

viloria had so many good action fights filled with drama and stories.

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
        Curious to see if they can make him into a star. I like him but have my doubts regarding his potential public appeal.
        He's been my favorite fighter to watch for a while now, but I'd have to agree with you that it doesn't seem like he can make that break through with a larger audience outside of hardcore boxing fans.

Comment

he's in a pretty good position. He should get good TV exposure this weekend. If he gets past this one then a rematch with Estrada on a major PPV should gain him more cred & the opportunity of a Ring magazine belt!

Comment

Go up 10lbs and fight Rigondeaux. The winner would pretty much be considered the unquestioned P4P King.

Comment

Originally posted by hitking View Post
              Go up 10lbs and fight Rigondeaux
              lol.......

Comment

Originally posted by hitking View Post
                Go up 10lbs and fight Rigondeaux. The winner would pretty much be considered the unquestioned P4P King.
                rigo lost his #1 p4p claims when he got dropped by a jap unknown.

Comment

This is nothing more than midget boxing. It's a sideshow. These fighters weigh less than Jr. High School girls. The boxing elite are forcing him down our throats, trying to convince us he's p4p #1 by fighting cans. There are so few men in this world that can make that weight that you can't get good fighters in that class.

Comment

Originally posted by about.thousands View Post
                    This is nothing more than midget boxing. It's a sideshow. These fighters weigh less than Jr. High School girls. The boxing elite are forcing him down our throats, trying to convince us he's p4p #1 by fighting cans. There are so few men in this world that can make that weight that you can't get good fighters in that class.
                    there's a lot of flyweights in asia, latin america. 112 guys are not really 112 lbs. they usually are 130-135 and kill themselves to 112.

no one is forcing you to watch. change the channel.

Comment

Working...
                    X