Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pacquiao's legacy if he losses the last 2-3 fights of his career?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Reloaded View Post
    Off course it will , Ive it seen with the greats , they are still greats but the excitement and acclaim while they were winning fades to a whisper of what it was .

And then you got this internet era , that changes lots of things compared to the old days when there was no social media this is an entirely different schematic today , the thing with Manny losing a lot of fights now will only bolster the ideas that the only reason he won his biggest fights were CWs , avoiding drug testing , cherry picking etc etc all that kind of stuff will have merit in any debate following a string of loses .

THANK YOU. SUMS it PERFECTLY!!!

Comment

Originally posted by DeandreXI View Post
      That Marquez angle is pretty interesting tho. I do see Marquez and Pacquiao on the same tier, stark contrast to what most people believe which is Pacquiao being on Mayweather's level.
      now you're reaching...

let me give a little twist on the thread...

if floyd continue fighting (he only got 49 fights against pac's over 60?) and loses his 2, 3 or 4 fights, what will floyd's legacy be?

Comment

Off course it will , Ive it seen with the greats , they are still greats but the excitement and acclaim while they were winning fades to a whisper of what it was .

And then you got this internet era , that changes lots of things compared to the old days when there was no social media this is an entirely different schematic today , the thing with Manny losing a lot of fights now will only bolster the ideas that the only reason he won his biggest fights were CWs , avoiding drug testing , cherry picking etc etc all that kind of stuff will have merit in any debate following a string of loses .
        No doubt in present terms, a great losing will affect public opinion, but in historical sense and long term, late career losses have no bearing on a fighters ultimate place in history...

Robinson
        Ali
        Armstrong
        Duran
        Louis

Probably the 5 most revered fighters of all time, and all have horrible late career losses... It doesn't matter..,

Comment

Originally posted by tangalog2200 View Post
          now you're reaching...

if floyd continue fighting (he only got 49 fights against pac's over 60?) and loses his 2, 3 or 4 fights, what will floyd's legacy be?
          It would go down the same road , all down hill dont matter who it is , if you hang around and lose to sub par opponents it will take your mojo smoke and butt it out .

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
            No I'm not biased it's true.....

Manny from 2000-2012 doesn't all of a sudden turn to crap just because manny 2015-2020 loses a lot..

You can't take away a guys prime accomplishments just because he fought on way past his prime..

Duran is still the best lightweight of the 70s even though he lost to guys like kirkland Laing and pat lawlor later in his career
            You're right about that but I think it drops his overall ranking. Too much stock is put on accomplishments but at the same time these fighters should also be accountable for what they do a little bit past their peak, notice I said past their peak not totally washed up and just fighting for novelty reasons (Mayorga-Mosely for example)

Timing and how an athlete plays out the tail end of their career is of the essence for me, this applies to every sport IMO.

Comment

Pacquiao was still at his prime against JMM4. Losing in that fashion have tremendously hurt his career...so did the Mayweather bout, especially after coming out like a loser.
              Lmao....

You must have only been watching boxing for a few years...

Manny in 2012 ain't prime.... Still very good but at best his prime ended with margarito,

Comment

You're right about that but I think it drops his overall ranking. Too much stock is put on accomplishments but at the same time these fighters should also be accountable for what they do a little bit past their peak, notice I said past their peak not totally washed up and just fighting for novelty reasons (Mayorga-Mosely for example)

Timing and how an athlete plays out the tail end of their career is of the essence for me, this applies to every sport IMO.
                Lmao.... So how a guy ends is what matters to you...

Name the your greatest fighter, athlete in basketball, baseball, football,

Comment

Originally posted by tangalog2200 View Post
                  now you're reaching...

Floyd's ATG ranking will definitely take a hit. The reason why he's considered a Top 5 talent/boxer is because of the reason he never lost under any circumstances, conditions given to him. That's the allure and luxury of his resume. Losing another 2 or 3 will certainly take out the prestige but this is also why he's not only smart on the ring but off it.

He's nearing 40 and with casual boxing fans finding creative ways to discredit his victories anyway, it's better to come out in his terms while also having an immaculate record. He epitomized winning tbh.

Comment

Bingo.

Some records and/or wins and losses can have a multitude amount of impact on a fighters career.

If Pacquiao had beat Mayweather, I'm pretty sure the consensus agreement would be Pacquiao being the best fighter of his era.

Mayweather winning though only solidified the fact, he was the best of his era after all.

I don't buy all this "His legacy was set" BS...
                    I see it like this. If your legacy is set, then maybe your career should be to. You continue to fight and lose, then your ranking goes down. Maybe not drastically, but just a bit

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
                    I would have him the same as I do now... I actually would have him slightly higher since tarver 1 after ruiz is one of roys best wins..

I don't knock chavez for losing to wise and tszyu, or hopkins for losing to calzaghe, dawson, kovolev.. Tito losing to roy, toney getting beat by club fighters, tyson losing to danny and mcbride.. The list is endless of greats losing a lot towards the end, but it should take away from their prime accomplishments

I see your point and I respect it. But Jones wasn't shot as he is now when he lost the next two vs tarver. It played a part on his ranking to me. Roy fighting today does nothing now. At that particular time however, I would've had him way above where i do now had he called it a day.

With Chavez it's kinda the same. I think if he reaches a 100 wins before losing, he is top 3. No matter how bad the Whitaker decision was or the stoppage of Taylor. He didn't get there, list a few and I think it costed him a few notches. That's just me

Comment

boxing is a fight between two combatants...

the legacy of a fighter really is based on his accomplishments...

what do you want to do with boxing? to a boxer? to the old days when there was still no social media? relegate them to the dust bin?

internet? social media? ha ha ha ha...

Comment

Working...
                      X