Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beterbiev turns down Kovalev offer (per Rafael)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beterbiev turns down Kovalev offer (per Rafael)

Disappointing but not unexpected, wonder if B-Hop will take the Beterbiev fight
    Last edited by Weebler I; 08-05-2015, 05:24 AM.

I personally don't think Beterbiev is ready for Kovalev. Would have been a good fight tho. But too dangerous for a guy who hasn't fought at the high level yet. Kovalev could very possibly end his career before it even takes off. Would have probably went like tito vs vargas.

Comment

Disappointing. I knew this fight wouldn't get made, too good to be true.

Comment

Guessing Haymon wants a purse bid to show this fight on pbc.

Comment

I'll wait to hear Michel's & Beterbiev's side as I tend to think Duva is a twit so I wouldn't be shocked if there was something nutty that came up.

I'd also just assume there is more money in it for all parties to get HBO & PBC both bidding on this fight once Beterbiev is the mandatory & for Michel & Beterbiev that could end up with Kov just dropping a title to avoid fighting off of HBO which helps them get paid more for less risk.

Plus the Bhop fight could enhance Beterbiev's rep so he'd get paid more for a Kov fight later too. And then there is just the general consensus that believes Beterbiev's chances only get better vs Kov if this fight happens a year from now instead of now.

All in all I'd rather have seen that fight now, but I understand there is like 3 levels of politricks involved (HBO vs PBC, Michel & Haymon vs Duva, Promoters & HBO/PBC vs Alphabet groups) + the money + the risk/reward for Beterbiev now vs a year from now.

Comment

Smart move. Beterbiev can use some fights and be better ready. Not that he isn't ready NOW, but it is better for him.

Comment

Originally posted by Kagami Taiga View Post
              I personally don't think Beterbiev is ready for Kovalev. Would have been a good fight tho. But too dangerous for a guy who hasn't fought at the high level yet. Kovalev could very possibly end his career before it even takes off. Would have probably went like tito vs vargas.
              Completely agree. People are getting way ahead of themselves with Beterbiev. Let the man learn a little something first.

Comment

Originally posted by Kagami Taiga View Post
                Kovalev could very possibly end his career before it even takes off. Would have probably went like tito vs vargas.
                Beterbiev is a lot older than Vargas. He's gonna need to take more risks to get somewhere in the sport. Vargas had a bunch of time he coulda took advantage of, Beterbiev doesn't have that luxury. I mean they've already took a lot of risks just to get him where he's at vs the typical movement of a guy with less than 10 fights.

Plus idk that a year or two is gonna make much of a difference in a Kov vs Beterbiev fight. Someone is getting KTFO now, 12 or 24 months from now.

Comment

That's a shame but truth be told Beterbiev would have got curb stomped.

9 professional fights isn't enough preparation to go in with someone like Kovalev. Those were 9 very good fights for an upcoming prospect, but still not enough. Probably a safer move on his part.

Comment

Not a bad idea by Beterbiev, don't want to rush the professional game too soon he has work to do he might have beat Kovalev in the amateurs but the pro ranks are entirely different.

Maybe in 2016 we will see him make the move.

Comment

Working...
                    X