Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beterbiev turns down Kovalev offer (per Rafael)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Superbee View Post
    Wouldn't GYM\Haymon\Beterbiev be in a better situation if they were negotiating the fight as mando ? Just wondering... Still leaves about a full year before it happens though, if ever ...
    As mandatory challenger (with the PBC backing), Team Beterbiev would have Kovalev over a barrell; knowing that they'd likely get 25% of whatever the bid is (plus a significant share of revenue arising from staging the fight), Team Kovalev has to basically make "an offer that they can't refuse" or risk being forced to drop the IBF belt.

With blood in the water, it wouldn't be all that much longer before the same process comes about for the WBA belt with Fonfara (If Beterbiev and Fonfara both end up with belts, the WBO rankings would then be completely devoid of any fighter affiliated with Haymon, keeping that final belt safe from any play)

Comment

• Originally posted by MDPopescu View Post
      Few days ago, Michel and Beterbiev were like "we'll go after the ducking Russian"... Now they're hiding behind Haymon's "purse bid"...
      $500k and 25% of the Canadian PPV money is a fair offer? After HBO was only willing to commit $1m for Kovalev-Mohammedi? gtfoh.

If Duva wants to keep being funny with the money, Team Beterbiev will take the fight to bid, take his 25% off of the full bid, and then work to actually maximize the take from his own home market.

Comment

• Originally posted by NEETzsche View Post
        moving to pbc hasn't actually benefited anyone's career so far. stevenson's stock has plummeted, for example. kovalev would probably get lower ratings over there than on hbo
        I think you aren't paying enough attention to rankings & purses. Kov got 750k for his last fight on HBO & 1M viewers. Danny Garcia got 1.2M for his last fight & 1M viewers via PBC. I think its pretty much a dead heat in rankings for the name guys on PBC on the wider audience channels & you get paid more money.

I'm sure Kov would be making 7 digits for bs opponents like his last & way more for his big name opponents than HBO is willing to pay. And have the same amount of people watching unless he got the Stevenson fight or in a fight or two the Beterbiev fight, after he catches more fire, he'd probably do 2M+, 3Mish like Thurman did vs Guerrero.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scipio2009 View Post
          $500k and 25% of the Canadian PPV money is a fair offer? After HBO was only willing to commit $1m for Kovalev-Mohammedi? gtfoh.

If Duva wants to keep being funny with the money, Team Beterbiev will take the fight to bid, take his 25% off of the full bid, and then work to actually maximize the take from his own home market.
          Exactly... Michel called that a fair offer when Duva sent it... Doesn't mean it was good enough though... Why would GYM/Haymon be a cash cow for Main Events anyway ? One year from now, Beterbiev will be the mando for all Kovalev's belts and the 7 digits will shine for both... Good move from GYM ...
          Last edited by Superbee; 08-07-2015, 10:13 AM.

Comment

• Someone said: "Why would GYM/Haymon be a cash cow..."

... Now Haymon became a "cash cow" already!?!...

... I wonder from which planet are these guys coming from...

Comment

• If you read my post correctly, you'll get it...

Comment

• If it's true then his team are quite smart, taking another fight is great for him and he gets to be a mandatory challenger which means more money too.

Comment

• what else can I say, it's a DUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I beta kovalev twice in the amatuer doe lol

Comment

• Originally posted by Pain~Lucy View Post
                    what else can I say, it's a DUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I beta kovalev twice in the amatuer doe lol
                    This is gonna be hilarious when all you cats calling this a duck gotta explain to yourself & eventually others how Kovalev dropping his title to avoid fighting Beterbiev as a mandatory in ~12 months or w/e isn't a duck. This exact same thing happened to Kov with Stevenson & I think there is a fair chance it happens with Beterbiev. "Kov can't fight off HBO doe"."HBO don't wanna pay boxers what their worth doe & if you don't wanna fight for less money u scareded".

Eventually I think Kov is gonna realize Duva & HBO are pigeonholing him into less options then he should have for his talent & abilities & ultimately costing him money & unlike Duva & HBO Kov has a limited time to make money.

Comment

Working...
                    X