Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Was putting Alvarez in with Mayweather a case of bad management?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not at all, it was a calculated risk. It was a no lose situation. He wins that fight he is the next Oscar De La Hoya and is a huge star at 23. He lost, but he didn't take any damage, got tons of exposure, and if he keeps winning many will chalk it up to inexperience.

Comment

Canelo was 22. Young and dumb. He made 12 million dollars. What young fighter in this day and age wouldn't drain himself for that kind of money?

Comment

Getting a big ass pile of money isn't ever gonna be a bad thing. You could argue Canelo didn't give himself the best chance to win between accepting the fight as a catchweight & not waiting til he got some better experience &/or Mayweather aged a little, but it was always a great money decision that came with some not that bad details based on potential upsides a win would have gotten him.

Comment

Canelo rightfully insisted on the fight being made and deserves credit for taking the fight when he did. Hind-sight proves that it was a win\win for him and a great decision. Losing to Floyd carries no shame, especially since everyone has lost to the P4P best. Canelo needed to gauge his level\status and who better to match your skill-set against than Floyd. Since that rude awakening, Canelo has rededicated himself to the sport and works furiously to reach a higher level and strives to be in tip-top shape for each and every fight.

If only other boxers would follow his example, they may be better off as well. Many numb-nut, fake champions want to TALK a good game and then expect to receive credit for their RAP. Canelo is willing and off-time does face each and every opponent he mentions. It none of that name-dropping nonsense with Canelo. Lara called Canelo out and he fought Lara in spite of the many who warned against it.

Canelo isn't perfect, but he is the kind of Pro. Boxer that we need more of in the sport. Forget those losers that name-drop for a career, and then chase after lesser opponents. They are the clowns!!!

Canelo is a boss and he's going to whip Cotto's azzzzzzz

Comment

Got paid big, one of the biggest boxing fights of all time....nso can't really complain about putting canelo in there with floyd.. But shouldn't have been his first major PPv... I would have put canelo in with cotto as his first major PPv and then looked for floyd...

Comment

Originally posted by arraamis View Post
              Canelo rightfully insisted on the fight being made and deserves credit for taking the fight when he did. Hind-sight proves that it was a win\win for him and a great decision. Losing to Floyd carries no shame, especially since everyone has lost to the P4P best. Canelo needed to gauge his level\status and who better to match your skill-set against than Floyd. Since that rude awakening, Canelo has rededicated himself to the sport and works furiously to reach a higher level and strives to be in tip-top shape for each and every fight.

If only other boxers would follow his example, they may be better off as well. Many numb-nut, fake champions want to TALK a good game and then expect to receive credit for their RAP. Canelo is willing and off-time does face each and every opponent he mentions. It none of that name-dropping nonsense with Canelo. Lara called Canelo out and he fought Lara in spite of the many who warned against it.

Canelo isn't perfect, but he is the kind of Pro. Boxer that we need more of in the sport. Forget those losers that name-drop for a career, and then chase after lesser opponents. They are the clowns!!!

Canelo is a boss and he's going to whip Cotto's azzzzzzz
              I agree with you bro, I think Canelo unlike other fighters were looking at Floyd as more than a payday, he actually thought he was going to win but the loss showed him he still needs more time. I just think that if that fight between him and Floyd wouldve marinated, it wouldve been blockbuster next Septemeber if Canelo gets by Cotto which I think he will but itll be tough and chances wouldve been better with the timing...

Comment

Nah, a loss doesn't hurt his career too much. I'm sure they believed there was a chance he could win, and the payoff would have been phenomenal. Even in losing he increased his profile, so it was kind of a win/huge win situation.

Comment

The Floyd fight was a free 12 mil. There's no shame in losing to Floyd so Canelo was able to lose and keep his fan base. If Canelo waited and lost to some other dude he would lose the 12 mil, and possibly some of his fans.

Comment

I think they imagined he would make a better account of himself, I know I did. I don't want to hold it against him too much, but I think given his size advantage he should have been able to manage a much better performance than he did. I think a large part of it was being too young.

I wouldn't say that his management failed him, but I would be willing to say his trainer did. He really should have had a better strategy. Part of it falls on his relative lack of experience, and part of it falls on the inept approach inside the ring. Smaller, slower, and far less skilled fighters have made much better showings against Floyd than Canelo did, and I think that performance is never going to fully wash away.

Comment

Im sorry but I just have to point out, On this forum and media(From those who cover Boxing) Canelo was LIVE and there were many predictions from fans, media, boxers etc that Canelo would not only beat, but possibly stop or knockout Mayweather. Short term memory.. I feel like people just forget. No one thought he would take the fight when he did, and many posters predicted Mayweather would finally get beat. Its a shame people TRY to discredit him for the victory. It reminds of Joe vs Bernard in that sense.

Comment

Working...
                      X