Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has PBC raised boxings popularity so far?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has PBC raised boxings popularity so far?

Whether you like Al Haymon/PBC isnt the topic here. My question is, has boxings return to prime time network television increased its popularity (from what you have heard/seen) amongst casuals & the average sportsfan? Have any coaches/boxers or gym goers seen an increased amount of people wanting to learn the sweet science?

Personally i train my boys out of a MMA dominant gym so im sure you could imagine the slack we get only training for boxin but Pre Pac vs May word around the gym was boxing was going to be making a HUGE comeback & class sizes & memberships were expected to skyrocket, there was even all kinds of talk about boxing being on free tv. Now i know May 2 left a bad taste in fight fans mouths in general but there has literally has been no talk about boxing on primetime since. Im all for boxing for free, hbo, showtime whatever but wasnt the point of boxing being on primetime suppose to "revive" the sport? Because so far its just become an NSB debate & gives true boxing fans a bigger divide in choosing sides...

Its too early to tell. PBC has the 2 most viewed shows this year. The competition is making HBO put on better cards and fights, which has helped them get great ratings this year.

IMO the initial bump has come from the Floyd/Manny fight and how big it was.

PBC has helped increase casual fans slightly, but not significantly.

Comment

Among my circle of friends and acquaintances, I have noticed no increase at all in boxing interest. No one ever really mentions boxing at all and the only time any friends drop by is for a fight on HBO. When out at a club or a bar I have trouble finding a buddy to talk boxing with. On the other hand, many of my friends were talking about some recent trades in the NHL even though we are not exactly in hockey season and my American friends are totally immersed in baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by Barcham View Post
        Among my circle of friends and acquaintances, I have noticed no increase at all in boxing interest. No one ever really mentions boxing at all and the only time any friends drop by is for a fight on HBO. When out at a club or a bar I have trouble finding a buddy to talk boxing with. On the other hand, many of my friends were talking about some recent trades in the NHL even though we are not exactly in hockey season and my American friends are totally immersed in baseball.
        Is that because you only watch fights and invite them over for fights on HBO but not for PBC because you do not like Haymon (as you have repeatedly stated) and want to see this endeavor fail?

Comment

PBC is literally 4 Months old Tomorrow
          It's very first show was March 7th so I'm not sure how we can determine that this early. I would say based on the Ratings they get especially on NBC, they're off to a good start. They get more Ratings on NBC than they would on Showtime or HBO

Boxing has a long rich history especially in America so boxing is not a tough sell to the casual fans, they just have to get familiar with all of these new fighters. Sure we already know them but Casuals have no damn clue who these guys are!

Comment

Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
            Is that because you only watch fights and invite them over for fights on HBO but not for PBC because you do not like Haymon (as you have repeatedly stated) and want to see this endeavor fail?
            My friends have an open invitation to drop by for any fight or hockey game or whatever. I have a much larger plasma television than any of my friends and my place tends to be where we hang out for sport events. But in general my single friends are out in the clubs on Friday nights and married friends are busy with their families. In general they only get time on Saturday night for sports. But none of my friends are really boxing fans or MMA fans. They tend to be more into team sports, baseball and CFL in the summer, NFL in the fall and hockey in the winter-spring.

Comment

Originally posted by sicko View Post
              PBC is literally 4 Months old Tomorrow
              It's very first show was March 7th so I'm not sure how we can determine that this early. I would say based on the Ratings they get especially on NBC, they're off to a good start. They get more Ratings on NBC than they would on Showtime or HBO

Boxing has a long rich history especially in America so boxing is not a tough sell to the casual fans, they just have to get familiar with all of these new fighters. Sure we already know them but Casuals have no damn clue who these guys are!
              I feel u man, it is early to tell but i guess its because i have high expectations. Ive honestly heard more about womens soccer from sportsfans lately than boxing thoughh. I have tried my best to promote boxing amongst my co-workers & its caught some attention but im not sure if boxing will ever get the NBA, MLB, or NFL type following or interest for that matter...

Comment

I got friends that are casual boxing fans and they do talk about the fights that they have seen so far

Comment

Yes because more people are watching guys like Danny Garcia, Keith Thurman, Shawn Porter and Adrien Broner than ever before.

Comment

Yes. It's a shame they [allegedly] couldn't follow the laws and might lose their enterprise. It is a novel idea, hopefully the next company that tries this complies with federal and state laws.

Comment

Working...
                    X