Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would it have been possible for Ward or Floyd to become popular in a foreign country?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would it have been possible for Ward or Floyd to become popular in a foreign country?

If Ward moved to say, Kazakhstan, is he an exciting enough fighter to win over the fans and become popular, the way Golovkin has become popular in the USA? Or would the Kazakhs not be interested in his fights and leacve the venues empty?

What about Floyd? Would his pitty-pats and shoulder roll put the Kazakh fans to sleep, or would he be able to excite them and win them over and sell PPVs by the way he fights, without the media attention he's had in the USA?

To clarify what I'm asking: after being BORN IN THE USA and living there most of their lives, if they moved to another country during their careers like Golovkin has, would they be accepted and become as popular in say Kazakhstan as he has in the USA?
    No, it isn't easy to win over fans in a foreign country, you need to be exciting
    45.83%
    Mayweather could have become popular anywhere, but not Ward
    4.17%
    Yes, both would become popular even if they moved to another country
    50.00%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by The Hammer; 06-25-2015, 07:34 PM.

Are you kidding, Ward would be 10x more famous in Germany than he is the US.

Comment

if either of them were born outside of this country they would be hailed and regarded with a heightened sense of cultural importance to their country and countrymen. The problem is that in america, there are ALOT of elite african american atheletes in nearly every popular sport, over saturation of quality dilutes the publics interest in that regard.

Take a look at ivan calderon, a freaking minimum weight champion who was very popular and a household name in PR.

Comment

Originally posted by Eastcoast View Post
        Are you kidding, Ward would be 10x more famous in Germany than he is the US.

No.

Although he is very similar to Sven Ottke, because he wasn't born in Germany they wouldn't support him like they did Ottke.

Comment

Originally posted by El Jesus View Post
          if either of them were born outside of this country they would be hailed and regarded with a heightened sense of cultural importance to their country and countrymen. The problem is that in america, there are ALOT of elite african american atheletes in nearly every popular sport, over saturation of quality dilutes the publics interest in that regard.

Take a look at ivan calderon, a freaking minimum weight champion who was very popular and a household name in PR.
          I'm not asking that though.

I'm asking, after being BORN IN THE USA and living there most of their lives, if they moved to another country during their careers like Golovkin has, would they be accepted and become as popular in say Kazakhstan as he has in the USA?

Comment

Originally posted by Freedom. View Post

I'm asking, after being BORN IN THE USA and living there most of their lives, if they moved to another country during their careers like Golovkin has, would they be accepted and become as popular in say Kazakhstan as he has in the USA?
            Kazakhstan - the hotbed of boxing.

Comment

No.

Although he is very similar to Sven Ottke, because he wasn't born in Germany they wouldn't support him like they did Ottke.
              Sturm, Michalczewski, JC Gomez, and currently Huck and Hernandez are very well supported in Germany despite being foreigners. Oh and the Klitschko's along with that female fighter. They all came to Germany after their amateur careers.
              Last edited by Eastcoast; 06-25-2015, 07:45 PM.

Comment

GGG has fans from Kazakhstan? I thought he became popular when he joined K2 and came to the U.S.

That really defeats the purpose of trying to say a foreign fighter made it. You make it in the US.

Comment

Who would do that? Why would a US citizen go anywhere else to fight when all the most popular networks and promoters are here? I understand your question, but the scenario makes no sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Eastcoast View Post
                    Sturm, Michalczewski, JC Gomez, and currently Huck and Hernandez are very well supported in Germany despite being foreigners. Oh and the Klitschko's along with that female fighter. They all came to Germany after their amateur careers.
                    Sturm and Huck are German.

Michalczewski was exciting, and Germany is close to Poland anyway. Hernandez and Gomez are not all that popular, and they are more exciting than Floyd and Ward. The Klitschkos were very exciting in their early years, with many many knockouts.

Ward and Floyd are defense-first boxers. Boxers not from Germany who were feather-fisted like Dzinziruk never became popular in Germany.

Comment

Working...
                    X