Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would it have been possible for Ward or Floyd to become popular in a foreign country?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
    Who would do that? Why would a US citizen go anywhere else to fight when all the most popular networks and promoters are here? I understand your question, but the scenario makes no sense.
    You must be a new fan to the sport. You should look up a guy named Winky Wright.

After Wright had knocked out Santana for his 16th victory, Birmingham knew he had an undefeated slick 5-10 l/2-foot tall southpaw that was flying under every major promoter's radar screen. He called Don King. He called Bob Arum. He called Lou Duva. He called every major player he could think of. He called all of them twice, some of them three and four times. Nobody called him back. Then he got lucky.

He called Art Mayorga, who had trained him as an amateur back in Ohio. Mayorga said he knew some people in France and would he and Wink consider talking with them. A few weeks later, Wright and Birmingham were on a plane to France to meet with the Arcaries brothers. A deal was struck; for his European debut, Wright would exchange the warm climate of Florida for the cold wintery season of Luxembourg.

The first trip was a bitterly frigid nightmare. Birmingham and Wright flew to France, then rode a hard-benched train for six hours to Luxembourg. From there, it was another hour by car through the mountains in a snow storm to reach their lodgings in Differdange. Their rooms were inexpensive and Spartan. That's where they spent Christmas and New Year's Eve. A few days before the Lattimore fight, Wright came down with the flu.

The late Arye Fain, who had signed on as Wright's agent, suggested a remembered remedy of honey and onions.

"You take a whole cup of honey and a whole onion and you leave the onion in the honey for a whole day," said Birmingham. "An hour before the fight you remove the onion and drink all of the honey. I'll tell you, it really works. It only lasts for an hour or an hour and a half, but while it is working, it dries up and makes you feel great."

Wright dropped Lattimore three times, stopped him in the first round. It was better than onions and honey.

Still fighting six- and eight-rounders, Wright went on a tear, ripping off eight straight victories in places like Levallois, France; Philipshalle, Dusseldorf, Germany; and a sporting club in Monte Carlo; with a brief stop (KO 1) in Punta Gorda, Florida. He was undefeated in 25 fights; his highest purse had been $5,000. There still were no calls from King, Arum or Duva.

Looking back, Wright has to laugh. "I was fighting in places I had never heard of; that I could not even pronounce."

Then the Acaries brothers offered him $50,000 to fight WBA super welterweight champion Julio Cesar Vasquez on Aug. 21, 1994, in another place Wright could not pronounce, Saint-Jean-de-Luz, France. The undefeated Wright had yet to fight a main event, had not gone more than eight rounds, and that far only twice. He had never even been in a scheduled 10-rounder. Vasquez was 50-1 and had fought just five less championship rounds (74) than Wright had fought in his whole career.

"Where do we sign?" asked Wright.

"In France they do not have screens for the windows," said Birmingham. "It was hot and the mosquitoes feasted on Winky. The food was bad; the training facility was terrible. I kept wondering what else could go wrong."

Vasquez knocked Winky down in the second, seventh, ninth and twice in the last round, or so claimed Enzo Montero, one of the WBA's more-favored referees.

"The first three were slips," said Birmingham. "Winky was wearing new shoes and he was slipping all over the place."

"The first knockdown in the last round was legitimate," said Wright. "He caught me good. The last knockdown was a push; I was so tired my daughter could have pushed me down."

Despite the controversial knockdowns, Vasquez won by just three points on one card (Marcial Vargas 113-110), by four on one (Ove Ovesen 114-110) and by five on the third (Marcos A Torres 115-110).

Undaunted, Wright went back into some of boxing's more unheralded trenches: Tucuman, Argentina; Beziers, France; thrice to Levallois, France; St. Jean de Luz, France; Le Cannet, France. with brief appearances in the States in Inglewood and Norfolk. All were victories, raising his record to 34-1.

His 35th fight, against Andrew Council in Norfolk in March of 1996, was on the USA Network's "Tuesday Night Fights" series. Six months earlier, Council had gained prominence with a decisive victory over former WBC welterweight champion Buddy McGirt. That was McGirt, this was Wright; Council (25-3-3) had no chance; Wright barely broke a sweat as he swept all three cards 118-109, 116-111, 116-112 in his second defense of the NABF super welterweight title. (His first two North American Boxing Federation championship happened in France. He took the title from Tony Marshall in February of 1995 in Beziers, and defended it against Anthony Ivory three months later in Levallois, a mere three metro stops from Paris.)
    http://www.hbo.com/boxing/people/winky-wright

Comment

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
      Who would do that? Why would a US citizen go anywhere else to fight when all the most popular networks and promoters are here? I understand your question, but the scenario makes no sense.
      Ward and Mayweather are privileged to be Americans and to have developed in the world's best boxing gyms and to have fought in the USA.

But without that fortunate circumstance, how popular would they have become? What if they were from some poor country like Kazakhstan or Kenya? Wouldn't they have had to be exciting to leave their homeland and succeed in another country?

Comment

Originally posted by Eastcoast View Post
        You must be a new fan to the sport. You should look up a guy named Winky Wright.

http://www.hbo.com/boxing/people/winky-wright
        Wright travelled to get paydays, he didn't base himself in another country. Totally different.

Comment

Originally posted by Freedom. View Post
          Ward and Mayweather are privileged to be Americans and to have developed in the world's best boxing gyms and to have fought in the USA.

But without that fortunate circumstance, how popular would they have become? What if they were from some poor country like Kazakhstan or Kenya? Wouldn't they have had to be exciting to leave their homeland and succeed in another country?
          They would have been signed to a promoter straight after the Olympics whatever country they came from and eventually found themselves in America.

Comment

Sturm and Huck are German.

Michalczewski was exciting, and Germany is close to Poland anyway. Hernandez and Gomez are not all that popular, and they are more exciting than Floyd and Ward. The Klitschkos were very exciting in their early years, with many many knockouts.

Ward and Floyd are defense-first boxers. Boxers not from Germany who were feather-fisted like Dzinziruk never became popular in Germany.
            In Germany the big shows are all about being social events, similar to a Mayweather ppv - the fans are necessarily overly concerned with the quality of the action so long as they believe the fighters are high quality. If Ward were to set up home in Germany and regularly fight there, I imagine he would be more well supported there than in Oakland.

Comment

Originally posted by Eastcoast View Post
              In Germany the big shows are all about being social events, similar to a Mayweather ppv - the fans are necessarily overly concerned with the quality of the action so long as they believe the fighters are high quality. If Ward were to set up home in Germany and regularly fight there, I imagine he would be more well supported there than in Oakland.
              I don't think so. He's just too boring.

He certainly wouldn't have won over the fans in Kazakhstan.

Andreas Kotelnik of Ukraine was a skilled but rather boring, light-punching boxer who never attained any popularity in Germany. He had to fight on the road, where he was robbed several times, including against Alexander in the USA.

Comment

Floyd cant leave Vegas and become popular in the united states let alone another country! Only Vegas supports cowards.

Ward? He couldnt fill up a Chrysler mini van with his fan base here in the US....so NO!

Comment

No.

Although he is very similar to Sven Ottke, because he wasn't born in Germany they wouldn't support him like they did Ottke.
                  Bruh if you don't like anyone's answer why even ask your question

Comment

If Floyd's last name was GUSTAFASON he'd be considered the GOAT and probably would have reached the Billionaire range by now.

African American boxers carry a stigma in the United States. If they don't fight like Mike Tyson or carry themselves in a happy go lucky manner they don't get a lot of love or support.

If Andre Ward looked like Daniel Geale and hailed from London, he'd already have a statue erected in his honor and would have one of the bigger fanbases in boxing.

America harbors a lot of racism (just check the news) towards African Americans.

Not even a classy pro like Sugar Shane Mosley had much of a fan base. I wonder why.

That's why Mayweather is the GOAT... he cleared out every division he's ever fought in and has earned more revenue than any other boxer in the history of the sport. All that with no endorsements and legions of racist haters.

Comment

Plenty of boxers from various places doing business here.

They're (Jr and Ward) gonna' win fights wherever they go.

Is the OP suggesting that though they are able gain followings here at home, Floyd and Andre might not have the same success abroad?

If so, please elaborate.

Comment

Working...
                      X