Why not height divisons ?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mike tyson vs de la hoya would be awesome

Comment

This reminds me of a conversation between Charlie and his gf on an episode of Two and a Half Men.

Gf: All basketball players are tall. It's not fair they should have different leagues with height requirements so the shorter guys have a chance.

Charlie: That's an interesting idea.

Gf: You really think so?

Charlie: No, but I figured saying it was one of the dumbest ideas ever would lead to a fight.

Comment

Rules in boxing are not going to change for you NEW BOXING FANS! Stop It! Damn every week people on here are trying to change something in boxing

Comment

Originally posted by MoneyMayFan View Post
          Mike tyson vs de la hoya would be awesome
          Well not so much for Oscar.

Comment

First of all by limiting weight, they already do INDIRECTLY limit height because if a fighter in a division is too tall he becomes too thin and weak and unbalanced for the division and if he is too squat he becomes too short-ranged and plodding for the division. There will always be exceptions art the extemes such as Tyson and Hearns but for the most part with increased weight divisions there is increased average height.

Most importantly though, the reason this thread is so stupid is because there is a direct correlation between weight and performance, moreso than anything else in the sport of boxing by far, except "skill" but skill is a subjective assessment to make.

There is NO correlation between height and success at all. At HW where, you are expressly allowed to outweigh your opponent, there IS a greater chance of victory for a height advantage BUT, only where the height advantage is large and the weight about even OR there is both a height AND a weight advantage!

This thread is busted.

Case closed...

Nothing more to see here...

Comment

Originally posted by Salim_Shady View Post
              Rofl, because there is no direct correlation between weight and height.
              But why is weight considered more of a factor than height ?

Why should a guy fight a guy who is six inches taller than him ?

Comment

Originally posted by Furn View Post
                But why is weight considered more of a factor than height ?

Why should a guy fight a guy who is six inches taller than him ?
                Because weight is the most important factor whilst height is not such a major advantage in boxing.

Weight means more mass, more resistance, more muscles, more fat padding, thicker bone and connective tissue, more strength, more power, harder chin, greater punch resistance, ability to exhaust your opponent faster, harder for your opponent to move.

A 6' bean pole of 160lbs will be annihilated by a 200lb 5'5" guy an everybody knows it!

Why? Because they will steam roll through the prick and pull his lanky arms out of his sockets that's why!

Conversely, even where weight is about equal, height only becomes an important factor when it is allied to skills, when the boxer knows how to use his height and range.

- Height is ONLY an advantage when the boxer has sufficient skill to utilise it.

- Weight is ALWAYS an advantage, even when the boxer with it is devoid of skills and bummy as hell!
                Last edited by Elroy1; 06-16-2015, 01:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by sicko View Post
                  Rules in boxing are not going to change for you NEW BOXING FANS! Stop It! Damn every week people on here are trying to change something in boxing
                  Yeah just like you trying to ban certain gloves because they don't fit your agenda.

Comment

Originally posted by Elroy1 View Post
                    - Weight is ALWAYS an advantage, even when the boxer with it is devoid of skills and bummy as hell!
                    Not true.

I gladly traded size/power for true skill and speed just about every chance that I could. The bigger guys were simply easier to throw against, they were just slower. You gotta be in great shape though, they will tire you physically........
                    Last edited by Rockin'; 06-16-2015, 02:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post
                      Not true.

I gladly traded size/power for true skill and speed just about every chance that I could. The bigger guys were simply easier to throw against.........
                      Yeah ok Rockin, I DO agree here too, I think I just worded it wrong.

I am not promoting weight as more important than skill at all, just more important than height.

Skill is most important of course but that is a subjective assessment, weight is the foremost directly measurable thing in boxing (the reason it's divided into ranges).

It IS true I maintain that weight is always an advantage irrespective of skill level, meaning that given 2 guys of the same skill level, the heftier guy has the advantage.

I do think that being heavy can somewhat compensate for skill because a skilled opponent will have greater difficulties with a heavy+novice opponent than with a light+novice opponent.

But of course, refining skills delivers the real benefit, not eating cheeseburgers, obviously. One should never try to gain weight as a way to improve their performance! On the contrary, they should try to squeeze into the lightest category possible so their natural power/strength/chin etc is pitched against the smallest possible opponents.

The only exception is in HW boxing where it may be beneficial to maintain more body mass, depending on the style of boxer and opponent.

Comment

Working...
                      X