No announcement yet.

Boxers referring to themselves in 'third person'

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boxers referring to themselves in 'third person'

This is something that only the biggest Diva's can do.

It is f***ing annoying and stupid, but can be funny as well.

Amir Khan has recently started doing this ALOT.

Cotto is very good, but he mumbles a bit.

Floyd has always done it 'like I said befo, Floyd Mayweather...'

RJJ is great at it as well, but funny 'Roy Jones Junior says!'

Any others?

Originally posted by alexguiness View Post
    This is something that only the biggest Diva's can do.

It is f***ing annoying and stupid, but can be funny as well.

Amir Khan has recently started doing this ALOT.

Cotto is very good, but he mumbles a bit.

Floyd has always done it 'like I said befo, Floyd Mayweather...'

RJJ is great at it as well, but funny 'Roy Jones Junior says!'

Any others?
    Froch does it, at least he used to before he was media trained by Sky.

Comment

Some people take it as arrogance, but to me it's more of an acknowledgment of themselves as a commodity, or as having a separate professional public persona.

That is, there's a difference between the person at home and the boxer who the public know who has an outward professional reputation built upon certain values they feel they have to live up to. That latter person is the one they're referencing when speaking in third person.

They usually start talking about themselves in the third person when they get to a certain level of fame and notoriety because their reputation begins to precede them almost as if it is a separate or different person they're talking about.

I don't think I've explained it well at all, but hopefully someone can see what I'm getting at.
      Last edited by Weebler I; 06-12-2015, 06:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by denium View Post
        Froch does it, at least he used to before he was media trained by Sky.
        Froch's new tagline is 'when I beat George Groves, at Wembley Stadium, in front of 80k...'

Or

'He got Cobra'd'

Comment

Originally posted by Weebler I View Post
          Some people take it as arrogance, but to me it's more of an acknowledgment of themselves as a commodity, or as having a separate professional public persona.

That is, there's a difference between the person at home and the boxer who the public know who has an outward professional reputation built upon certain values they feel they have to live up to. That latter person is the one they're referencing when speaking in third person.

They usually start talking about themselves in the third person when they get to a certain level of fame and notoriety because their reputation begins to precede them almost as if it is a separate or different person they're talking about.

I don't think I've explained it well at all, but hopefully someone can see what I'm getting at.
          I understand your point, but it is something that mainly uneducated and easily manipulated / coached celebrities do.

Comment

Originally posted by alexguiness View Post
            I understand your point, but it is something that mainly uneducated and easily manipulated / coached celebrities do.
            You are probably right, a lack of intellect and self-awareness likely does come into it.

Comment

Prince Nazeem used to do it alot, but it was probably just another part of his persona. The same goes for Floyd.

Comment

I sounds dumb but it's all about self promoting. They're simply promoting their name as a business entity.

Comment

Originally posted by harwri008 View Post
                  I sounds dumb but it's all about self promoting. They're simply promoting their name as a business entity.
                  It is, but it's the lowest common denominator of self promotion.

Basically they are reminding the public of who they are, in case the public failed to recognize them lol.

Comment

All of them do it, they do so because they refer to themselves as a team. Which they are so i don't have a problem with that.

Comment

Working...
                    X