Collapse
No announcement yet.

Enough with crying over match making.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't mind gimme fights and soft touches - You can't reasonably expect that a fighter takes on a massive killer each time out. Take for instance Cotto and Canelo...he will fight Canelo this year and it will be a war 10-12 round war - whoever wins that fight; I believe should take a soft touch before getting in w/ GGG. Two wars back to back like that ends careers. If Canelo goes from Kirkland, Cotto, GGG in a three fight span - yeah he's a bad ass, but he'll be a brain dead washed up bad ass by 27. I like this PBC model, but I think they should clearly outline their line up. For instance:

Garcia vs TBA on ESPN: A Soft gimme fight that may surprise, but should follow script. Say vs Rod Salka

Garcia vs TBA on Spike: A mid-level, top 10-20 fight that is perhaps 60/40 in the A-fighter's favor. The opponent could win, but generally the cream will rise to the top; e.g. Amir Kahn vs Chris Algieri

Garcia vs TBA on NBC: The creme-de-la-creme of fights; ideally a PPV esque fight, if we are trying to eliminate PPVs altogether! This is a true 50/50 fight between #1s and the 2s and 3s. Could be Champ vs #1 contender up to #3 contender depending on availability. The best fight should be here.

I think clearly setting the expectation of what each channel's goal is for content is important, that way if Thurman is fighting on ESPN, every one knows that he's being set up for major fight(s) in the next grade coming up

Comment

Originally posted by creekrat77 View Post
      You obviously are one of those Malignaggi esque people who think being a boxer is a stable career move with a steady paycheck. Wrong. Cotto and Canelo have made millions and boxing isn't meant to be micromanaged to the extent where you have underserving guys milking every facet of the fight. Being a boxer is not a career! For the lucky few, they get what they put into it and in rare cases become a star. It is a competition and entertainment sport. For any professional boxer to get a career high pay of 1 million dollars is extremely rare. And to sit here and pledge your allegiance to the guys who have already made it, who are literally just taking advantage and milking their career in return for their ****ing spine and self respect just shows how idiotic you are about all this. Floyd Mayweather and his diva competitors are so quick to cry out wrong doing when boxer's, mainly themselves don't get their just do. But the minute the word "collective" comes into play with their over the top earnings they shut the **** up. Because you know and I know boxing is a chest game and those who make it, make it. Those who don't, don't. These kind of boxers you defend are millionaires and can do anything they want in life. Instead they chose to continue exploiting the idiotic casuals, otherwise betraying the paying fans to line their pockets before it's to late.
      Boxers have been getting ripped of for the tune of billions of dollars thru out history. I'm a boxing fan and historian. I like all aspect of the fight game and the business side being one of them. To be honest you guys are mere fight fans and nothing else. You don't understand that only about 20% of the fight game is actually fighting the rest is politics. Through history boxers have been force I take dives, fight with broken hands ribs concussions black balled ect. Through out history guys have been mismanaged and fcked over force to fight well past their prime bc some shady promoter ripped them off. Yea to crack a million dollars is rare but was is even more rare is boxers that were actually looked after by their promoter and manager. I'm not saying guys should take easy fights an avoid competition. I'm saying stop acting like it's a crime when they do it every so often. I wanna see all the best fights Loma rigindeaux, Canelo Cotto, khan brook, mares Santa Cruz, Danny broner and Bradley Thurman and so many others. Just bc some of you guys don't understand how business works don't be mad. Showcase fights are here and they are gonna stay so stop complaining. I'm glad fighters are getting top dollar every time they step in the ring. It hasn't always been the case and it's due well past due. All of you guys talking about good competitive fights forget about all the old champs who did just that and are know homeless on the street. But they have us good fights doe, where is all the fans now???? Exactly it's called prize fighting for a reason.

Comment

Originally posted by JmH Reborn View Post
        I don't mind gimme fights and soft touches - You can't reasonably expect that a fighter takes on a massive killer each time out. Take for instance Cotto and Canelo...he will fight Canelo this year and it will be a war 10-12 round war - whoever wins that fight; I believe should take a soft touch before getting in w/ GGG. Two wars back to back like that ends careers. If Canelo goes from Kirkland, Cotto, GGG in a three fight span - yeah he's a bad ass, but he'll be a brain dead washed up bad ass by 27. I like this PBC model, but I think they should clearly outline their line up. For instance:

Garcia vs TBA on ESPN: A Soft gimme fight that may surprise, but should follow script. Say vs Rod Salka

Garcia vs TBA on Spike: A mid-level, top 10-20 fight that is perhaps 60/40 in the A-fighter's favor. The opponent could win, but generally the cream will rise to the top; e.g. Amir Kahn vs Chris Algieri

Garcia vs TBA on NBC: The creme-de-la-creme of fights; ideally a PPV esque fight, if we are trying to eliminate PPVs altogether! This is a true 50/50 fight between #1s and the 2s and 3s. Could be Champ vs #1 contender up to #3 contender depending on availability. The best fight should be here.

I think clearly setting the expectation of what each channel's goal is for content is important, that way if Thurman is fighting on ESPN, every one knows that he's being set up for major fight(s) in the next grade coming up
        I am sorry but Salka like fights should never happen, while I agree that fighters shouldn't fight killers in every fight, they should always fight fighters within a certain level. It's supposed to be a fight and a fight isn't a fight if only one of them has a chance of winning, with Salka they chose an opponent that had zero chance of winning.

Comment

Originally posted by Theirony View Post
          Boxers have been getting ripped of for the tune of billions of dollars thru out history. I'm a boxing fan and historian. I like all aspect of the fight game and the business side being one of them. To be honest you guys are mere fight fans and nothing else. You don't understand that only about 20% of the fight game is actually fighting the rest is politics. Through history boxers have been force I take dives, fight with broken hands ribs concussions black balled ect. Through out history guys have been mismanaged and fcked over force to fight well past their prime bc some shady promoter ripped them off. Yea to crack a million dollars is rare but was is even more rare is boxers that were actually looked after by their promoter and manager. I'm not saying guys should take easy fights an avoid competition. I'm saying stop acting like it's a crime when they do it every so often. I wanna see all the best fights Loma rigindeaux, Canelo Cotto, khan brook, mares Santa Cruz, Danny broner and Bradley Thurman and so many others. Just bc some of you guys don't understand how business works don't be mad. Showcase fights are here and they are gonna stay so stop complaining. I'm glad fighters are getting top dollar every time they step in the ring. It hasn't always been the case and it's due well past due. All of you guys talking about good competitive fights forget about all the old champs who did just that and are know homeless on the street. But they have us good fights doe, where is all the fans now???? Exactly it's called prize fighting for a reason.
          You're an angry elf!

Comment

Originally posted by Theirony View Post
            You guys are suppose to be fight fans and boxing supporters right? Well for the first time in history. The boxers/ fighters are getting their just due... They are making more money and have more control of their careers now. For far two long, promoters been building up fighters and cashing them out and throwing them away like trash.
            Yes boxing fans, fans of the sport - not fanboys of individual fighter's wallets.

Fans of the sport want to see the best match-ups.

Fanboys of boxers are happy to see them win easy fights for disproportionate amount of money.

Look at all the greats of the late 80''s and early 90's. Those guys did fight everyone they did fight tooth and nail. While the promoters made top dollar. Not many of those guys had long careers or ended up set up financially. Many of them are broke and punch drunk even though they gave us so many great fights.
            Those guys made plenty of money, they were just too plum dumb to hold onto it.
            Last edited by Weebler I; 06-10-2015, 04:42 AM.

Comment

Is this Fetta? I can't think of anyone else who would be happy to see good fights not be made.

Comment

all i ask for is that every world-class boxer fights two world-class opponents per year. if they want to fight two exhibition fights on top of that, that's fine with me, although i think it's somewhat cowardly and dangerous to put guys who are miles out of their depth like rod salka in with elite operators. for example this eric molina guy could conceivably have his career ended against wilder; it's irresponsible to make such imbalanced fights

Comment

I watch boxing to be entertained. I want to see the best test themselves against other top fighters, if i didn't, then i couldn't see the point of being a fan of the sport. Of any sport in fact.

Tuning in and seeing a good fight is what it's all about. I have never sat down to watch a fight and got all pumped thinking, 'yes, this guy is getting paid well tonight!'

It would be fun if i was the said fighters accountant. But as a fan of the sport, and not a fan boy of fighters...i just want to see good fights. Too many miss-matches in a row and things get boring.

Comment

Working...
                  X