No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Frampton-Gonzalez Set For 7/18 in Texas, on CBS

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
    Isn't Frampton the guy though in terms of popularity & standing around this weight? Are any of these other guys getting 16k guys showing up to their fights? I think those other guys need to go to the UK & build up their names.

For full disclosure saying this as an American. Maybe I'm misinformed on Frampton's UK popularity or his potential opponents popularity in the US.
    He is but Leo Santa Cruz is getting paid 750k to fight janitors in America so he's not going to come to Ireland to fight Frampton.

Frampton has been chasing him for years now and it's got to the point where he's had to sign with Santa Cruz's manager and come to America to try to get the fight.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
      I dig the hell outta Rigo & believe him to be one of the most talented fighters in the game today, but yea I can't really see anything off with what you are saying.

He's a man without a country since Cubans only base seems to be in Florida & I don't believe thats that great of a base since exceptional Cuban fighters have few Mexican/PR loyal type fans. His style is on the science side of the sport which doesn't have appeal to anyone except the harder core fans like myself. He's a lil guy which also doesn't appeal to that many people so he's got a triple strike against him + he's a guy who's probably gonna beat most of, if not all of the best guys out there & that diminishes those fighters value & leave you with a lil guy with no country loyalty & who's not the most exciting guy to throw in main events or co-features. Good luck with that decision. From a promoter/investor angle there is lil reason to pick up a guy like Rigo. I suspect the person whos the supposed September savior is Roc Nation as they are seemingly looking to make an impact with the best guys they can get their hands on of which Rigo would be a nice addition for them even with all the previously mentioned negatives.
      Even acknowledging the limitations that you've pointed out, Rigondeaux could've based himself out of Miami and done decently well for himself; no idea what venues are available in Miami, but there has to be some 5,000-7,000 seat venue that looks good.

Have Rigo focus on doing the Spanish-language press (hopefully he's a bit more exciting to talk with in his native tongue, a la Tito Trinidad), build his public profile in the area, and have a little career as the Miami-based Cuban fighter who is world class (with an eye towards maybe fighting in Cuba, if the US-Cuba thaw continues forward).

Caribe Promotions didn't even try.

Comment

This fight literally makes no sense. Ok he's fighting a complete unknown bum who just lost to a 38-8 fighter but that's not surprising its pbc but what is more disturbing is the fight is in el paso! do they have a big irish population? I used to live there so the answer is no. New york? Boston? brain? i'm pretty sure the people choosing these venues are literally throwing darts against a map of the US.

Comment

Originally posted by daggum View Post
          This fight literally makes no sense. Ok he's fighting a complete unknown bum who just lost to a 38-8 fighter but that's not surprising its pbc but what is more disturbing is the fight is in el paso! do they have a big irish population? I used to live there so the answer is no. New york? Boston? brain? i'm pretty sure the people choosing these venues are literally throwing darts against a map of the US.
          I really don't understand how bad some of these PBC fights are. And it's not even that's they are bad, they just don't make any sense.

Here PBC has all these great platforms to really show the world what kind of talent they have, to show us all what kind of great fights they can make, but so far most of them have been bad fights and fights that make no sense and are sure to put audiences to sleep. I don't get it.

Of course, there have been a few that make sense and are good (Thurman/Guerrero, Peterson/Garcia) but that seems to be the rare case here.

Comment

Originally posted by daggum View Post
            I would think they have a large Mexican population.

Comment

Originally posted by ***1048;ATAS View Post
              I really don't understand how bad some of these PBC fights are. And it's not even that's they are bad, they just don't make any sense.

Here PBC has all these great platforms to really show the world what kind of talent they have, to show us all what kind of great fights they can make, but so far most of them have been bad fights and fights that make no sense and are sure to put audiences to sleep. I don't get it.

Of course, there have been a few that make sense and are good (Thurman/Guerrero, Peterson/Garcia) but that seems to be the rare case here.
              Id say PBC matchups as a whole are better than what were seeing from other promoters. Top Rank hasnt given us one really decent matchup this year, Hearn has done a couple fights here and there but then you have Kell Brook headlining cards vs Gavin, K2: Golovkin's two fights and Klitschko-Jennings were big mismatches, Roc Nation: Cotto-Geale, Ward-Smith nothing interesting about either.

Comment

KO% 54... it's hard to contain my excitement

Comment

Originally posted by Dirk Diggler UK View Post
                  I would think they have a large Mexican population.
                  this is true but gonzalez is the b-side and completely unknown. this isn't mares or santa cruz here. Are people really going to buy tickets for unknown frampton and unknown random mexican guy? this seems like a free ticket bonanza

Comment

He deserves to get ripped as badly as LSC is getting ripped from the fans. These two are exactly the same.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuban Linx View Post
                      He deserves to get ripped as badly as LSC is getting ripped from the fans. These two are exactly the same.
                      How are they exactly the same? Frampton has been chasing the Santa Cruz fight for a while - he was WBC mandatory.This seems to be a clear move to try to secure that fight.

Comment

Working...
                      X