Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Frampton-Gonzalez Set For 7/18 in Texas, on CBS

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starting to think Haymon is turning this into Premier British Champions wtf. I don't like the mismatch but it's free, whatever. Would like to see him step it up next.

Comment

Originally posted by Hougigo View Post
      They can be slow to update. One time IBF didn't update their rankings for 2 months earlier this year

Texas still makes absolutely no sense..... not like he hasn't done a show in Boston before... and K9/Charlo as the undercard? Does he expect Gonazlez's fans to cross the border to watch?
      He expects the El Paso-area boxing fans to come out for an afternoon of fights, with likely 12-15 fights on the bill and a lot of the undercard fights with local ties to the region (with the added benefit of the fans in attendance also getting a deal on the Chavez Jr fight that evening).

"Teamwork makes the dream work"; what sense does it make to throw Frampton into a Boston-area venue on his debut (while having no idea how much revenue was generated off of the Degale-Dirrell fight), when you can roll Frampton out for his US debut in association with one of the biggest stars working with Haymon and with the entire show positioned in a way that should ensure success?

Once you have his face out there, in front of the American viewing audience on CBS (with the broadcasters marketing him as arguably the best fighter coming out of UK/Northern Ireland), you can then consider moving him to Boston/New York for standalone shows (how Irish and Northern Irish Americans mesh is beyond me).

Comment

Originally posted by Scipio2009 View Post
        Rigo is already 35 years old, fought nearly 500 fights as an amateur, and still has the Caribe Promotions forever contract to deal with (with Caribe Promotions bringing nothing but an open hand for their payday to the table).

Why would Haymon do a deal with Rigondeaux? He doesn't sell tickets, he's not that exciting to watch, he's not all that engaging a personality, even among the Spanish-speaking press, and he doesn't have all that much time left to change any of those things.

Haymon already works with Santa Cruz and Frampton, the two most exciting names at 122, while also having Russell Jr, Mares, Jhonny Gonzalez, Jesus Cuellar and Marvin Sonsoma at 126.

I fail, frankly, to see the need to sign Rigondeaux at this point, especially if he's expecting to get a massive money offer (which seems to be the issues after Frank Warren, Roc Nation, and Matchroom Sport all inquired into the asking price to sign Rigo).
        I dig the hell outta Rigo & believe him to be one of the most talented fighters in the game today, but yea I can't really see anything off with what you are saying.

He's a man without a country since Cubans only base seems to be in Florida & I don't believe thats that great of a base since exceptional Cuban fighters have few Mexican/PR loyal type fans. His style is on the science side of the sport which doesn't have appeal to anyone except the harder core fans like myself. He's a lil guy which also doesn't appeal to that many people so he's got a triple strike against him + he's a guy who's probably gonna beat most of, if not all of the best guys out there & that diminishes those fighters value & leave you with a lil guy with no country loyalty & who's not the most exciting guy to throw in main events or co-features. Good luck with that decision. From a promoter/investor angle there is lil reason to pick up a guy like Rigo. I suspect the person whos the supposed September savior is Roc Nation as they are seemingly looking to make an impact with the best guys they can get their hands on of which Rigo would be a nice addition for them even with all the previously mentioned negatives.

Comment

Originally posted by SnakeVen0m View Post
          Starting to think Haymon is turning this into Premier British Champions wtf. I don't like the mismatch but it's free, whatever. Would like to see him step it up next.
          Lol premier British champions. Don't think degale will be back on pbc

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Dirk Diggler UK View Post
              To build Frampton's name overseas in order to get him the bigger fights he wants?
              Isn't Frampton the guy though in terms of popularity & standing around this weight? Are any of these other guys getting 16k guys showing up to their fights? I think those other guys need to go to the UK & build up their names.

For full disclosure saying this as an American. Maybe I'm misinformed on Frampton's UK popularity or his potential opponents popularity in the US.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirk Diggler UK View Post
                Rigo is sitting out his current promotional contract and said "big things are coming" so he must have some kind of deal in place. Hopefully it's with Haymon because if he goes to Roc Nation, then he can kiss Frampton and Leo fights goodbye.
                Was under the impression that he was sitting out his managerial contract with Gary Hyde, but could be wrong.

Still, if he no longer has Caribe Promotions leeching his career, I honestly see Teiken (Japan), Frank Warren, Roc Nation, others, all considering offers for him; Haymon jumping into the fold would likely come in the typical "earn your worth" non-guaranteed money deal that he works from, and I doubt Rigo would go for that.

Only time will tell; doubt that Rigondeaux goes from sitting out a year, and then working through a fight camp, to headlining any of the PBC cards.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
                  Isn't Frampton killing it across the pond? Why wouldn't you have this card in the UK in front of all the Frampton fans singing songs or whatever & **** as UK fans tend to do?

Maybe I'm missing something here (exclusive deal with UK channel for UK fights maybe idk), but PBC has shown a bit of confusion on fight locations before & the empty seats are proof.
                  The setup of a US debut for Frampton couldn't be positioned much better, tbh.

Fight gets aired in primetime in the UK (likely picked up by Sky Sports), fight gets held in a pretty well established fight region, and Frampton's debut show works with the added tie-in of having the Chavez Jr fight, a return fight for arguably the second biggest star, currently, in Mexican and Mexican American boxing, seemingly partnered with his fight.

He'll likely have a tenth of his usual fanbase travel with him, but how else is the move bad for him?

Comment

Originally posted by HanzGruber View Post
                    Lol premier British champions. Don't think degale will be back on pbc
                    Why would he be? He already beat their best Super Middleweight and went home with a fat cheque and a belt. Thanks Al!

Comment

Not happy with the opponent but I understand why this fight has to happen.

Hopefully Leo/Quigg and Rigo after that.

Comment

Working...
                      X