No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Martin Murray Inks With Matchroom, Returns 6/26

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Martin Murray Inks With Matchroom, Returns 6/26

With a single move, Martin Murray now has a new promoter, fight date and weight class.

The longtime middleweight contender has signed with England promotional powerhouse Matchroom Boxing, the company announced Friday.

The 32-year old will make his debut under the Matchroom banner on June 26 in Liverpool, barely 30 minutes from his hometown of St. Helens. It will mark his first fight in the UK since Dec. ’13, with his past four bouts having taken place in South Africa and Monte Carlo while fighting for Rodney Berman’s Golden Gloves Promotions.

Murray’s placement on the card comes on the heels of David Price pulling out of his homecoming showcase due to a neck injury.

“I’m delighted to sign for Matchroom and am so excited about the future with them and Sky Sports,” said Murray. “I’ve been in major fights all over the World against Felix Sturm in Germany, Sergio Martinez in Argentina and Golovkin in France but now I feel it’s time that I had those major fights in the UK.

“I’m excited to return at the Echo Arena on June 26. I’ve never boxed there and it’s not far from my hometown – it’s the beginning of a new journey for me. I’ve always felt I could become a World champion and now under Eddie, Matchroom and Sky Sports I know I will make that dream become reality.” [Click Here To Read More]

Martin Murray signs with Matchroom

New Matchroom signing Martin Murray targets James DeGale and George Groves as he moves to super-middleweight

Murray makes his debut for new promoters on June 26 but David Price forced to withdraw

MARTIN MURRAY has signed a promotional deal with Eddie Hearn and Matchroom Boxing and will make his debut for his new promoter at the Echo Arena in Liverpool on Friday June 26, live on Sky Sports.

Murray will be officially unveiled at a press conference in London on Wednesday where he will discuss his future plans as he boxes in England for the first time since December 2013, and he joins a stellar cast of Merseyside stars as world-rated super middleweights Callum Smith and Rocky Fielding face acid tests, with Smith meeting former European champion Christopher Rebrasse and Fielding tackles tough Texan Brian Vera, while Tony Bellew meets the experienced Czech Lubos Suda as he closes in on a mooted autumn World title clash with IBF king Yoan Hernandez.

Murray’s return marks his first action since his gutsy display in Monte Carlo against Middleweight beast Gennady Golovkin. The St Helens man pushing the Kazakh star further than any other opponent he’s faced in his run of World title defences, and the 32 year old is excited about the next chapter in his career as he moves up to Super Middleweight.

“I’m delighted to sign for Matchroom and am so excited about the future with them and Sky Sports,” said Murray. “I’ve been in major fights all over the World against Felix Sturm in Germany, Sergio Martinez in Argentina and Golovkin in France but now I feel it’s time that I had those major fights in the UK.

“I’ve fought the very best at Middleweight and now I’m ready to do the same at 168lbs. It’s a hot division and domestically can throw up some absolute wars. James DeGale did great to capture the World title and I’d love that fight later this year. George Groves is also challenging for a title and again it’s a fight I’d relish.

“I’m excited to return at the Echo Arena on June 26. I’ve never boxed there and it’s not far from my hometown – it’s the beginning of a new journey for me. I’ve always felt I could become a World champion and now under Eddie, Matchroom and Sky Sports I know I will make that dream become reality.”

“I’m delighted to welcome Martin to our team of elite fighters,” said Hearn. “Martin has proved time and again that he is one of the best Middleweights in the world and now I am looking forward to building him further in the UK and being involved in some huge domestic and international fights.

“It all starts on June 26 at the Echo Arena – these are great times for British boxing and I’m so pleased I get the chance to deliver for Martin Murray.”

Murray replaces David Price on the Liverpool bill after the Heavyweight favourite was forced to withdraw from action due to a neck injury.

Comment

Wow, surprising Haymon or Roc Nation isn't in for this superstar who took GGG 11 rounds

Comment

Bring on Murray vs Fedor Chudinov for the WBA regular title and future Andre Ward opponent.

Comment

Decent move for Murray. Only lost 2 fights against the very best and one of them was disputable (Martinez loss). There was nothing else for him at middleweight, i think he should try and fight the winner of Abraham vs Stieglitz first, and then go in for the big domestic match ups, Groves, DeGale, Callum Smith..any of em would be entertaining fights.

Comment

Super middle could be tricky for murray i reckon. His size was one of his biggest assets as a contender at middleweight.

See how it goes though!

Comment

Hearn should try to land the Lee fight for Murray.

He won't though, he'll be used as an opponent at 168 where I don't give him much chance.

Comment

I can't see a winning result in this, unless he's looking @ British, Commonwealth & EBU titles. Title's are title's, but to be a true champion, takes more & I can't see him cutting it unless Ward moves to 168Lb!

Comment

If he can settle in at the weight ok, then there is some good domestic fights that could be made. I still think it's a shame we didn't get to see the domestic fights at 160 between Murray, Barker, Macklin and Lee.

Then there is the likes of Stieglitz and Abraham. Interesting to see how it all goes.

Comment

Good move. He knows his career couldn't go anywhere at MW with the titles being locked up. He'd just have to keep fighting contenders.

I'd favor Murray against most of the 168 champions and I won't be surprised if he finally wins a world belt moving up to SMW.

Comment

Working...
                    X