No announcement yet.

Question about weigh-ins and making weight

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about weigh-ins and making weight

I should know this, I've been following boxing avidly for over ten years, but some things I don't pay attention to. Anyway, what is the rule or rules for weigh ins? For example if the weight limit is 160 lbs. and a fighter comes in at 160 lbs 1oz or 2 oz, etc.; is he over the limit? Is there an acceptable margin of weight over the limit that is allowed?

if the fight is contractual at a specific weight (lets say 160) then the fighters can weigh in at 160 but not a oz more, anything above 160 they must lose or face the penalty (varies).

Sometime the contracts say +1, so basically the same thing about (160) but you are allowed to weigh in 1 pound over but this has to be stated in the contracts.

by default their is no +1 or any of that non sense, its a special clause that is written into the contracts (broner vs molina, broner was allowed +1 for his fight at 140)

Comment

Originally posted by BostonGuy View Post
      I should know this, I've been following boxing avidly for over ten years, but some things I don't pay attention to. Anyway, what is the rule or rules for weigh ins? For example if the weight limit is 160 lbs. and a fighter comes in at 160 lbs 1oz or 2 oz, etc.; is he over the limit? Is there an acceptable margin of weight over the limit that is allowed?
      For title fights you have to be on limit not over at all, but when theres no title i think as long as its not over 1 pound then its acceptable to my knowledge (but catchweights have to be on limit also)

Comment

160.0 lbs is the upper limit, so he can't come in a fraction above it. i don't think there is a lower limit, but if you can reach a lower upper limit you will generally opt to fight at that weight

Comment

Are you trolling?

Comment

PBC fighters are allowed to come in a pound over if they want, everybody else has to make the contractual weight.

Comment

Thanks for all the helpful responses.

Originally posted by NEETzsche View Post
              160.0 lbs is the upper limit, so he can't come in a fraction above it. i don't think there is a lower limit, but if you can reach a lower upper limit you will generally opt to fight at that weight
              This is the core part of my question. If 160 or 175 or whatever is the upper limit, then a fighter cannot come in at anything over that weight? A gram? An ounce? 1/2 ounce? It seems very exact. Is there any acceptable margin over the upper limit?

Comment

Thanks for reminding me I am starting a new diet today!

Comment

Originally posted by BostonGuy View Post
                  Thanks for all the helpful responses.

This is the core part of my question. If 160 or 175 or whatever is the upper limit, then a fighter cannot come in at anything over that weight? A gram? An ounce? 1/2 ounce? It seems very exact. Is there any acceptable margin over the upper limit?
                  i guess they round up or down after a certain decimal place

Comment

Depends on the Sanctioning Bodies - these are the rules of the WBC - today Jorge Linares (WBC Lightweight Champion) missed weight by a few OZ's however according the the WBC rules he has two hours to cut.

WBC RULES.
                    4.14 Safety Weigh-Ins.

The final and official weigh-in of the boxers shall occur no less than 24
                    hours but not more than 30 hours prior to a WBC bout due to the possible adverse results of dehydration and subsequent rehydration of boxers to make the required weight limit for a bout. Further, in order to encourage safe weight loss in advance of a WBC bout, additional
                    official safety weigh-ins are to be held 30 and 7 days prior to the official 30-24-hour weigh-in for non-heavyweight boxers.
                    IBO - RULES.

2. Weight determines Championships, if either of the contestants (Champion or Challenger) fails to make the prescribed weight at the official weigh-in, they have two hours to re-weigh and make weight in the presence of the I.B.O. Commissioner and or the local Commission.
                    WBO RULES.

(c)Overweight Contestants.

(1) If a World Champion fails to make the prescribed weight for his category and the challenger makes weight, the Champion shall lose the title at the scales, and the Championship shall then and there be declared vacant. The Championship may not, however, be won at the scales. The fight shall be carried out as planned, and if the challenger, having made the weight, wins the contest, the challenger shall be the successor of the Championship; but if the prior Champion whose Championship was vacated at the scales wins the contest, the championship shall remain vacant.
                    (2) If the Champion makes the weight and the challenger fails to do so, the Champion, whether or not he loses the fight, shall retain the title.
                    (3) If both the Champion and the challenger fail to make weight, the Championship shall not be vacated at the scale and the fight will go forward as a non-title fight and the Champion, whether or not he loses the fight, shall retain the title.

Comment

Working...
                    X