No announcement yet.

Kronk Gym Grand Opening MAY 25, 2015

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kronk Gym Grand Opening MAY 25, 2015

DETROIT (AP) -- An opening event is Monday for a new version of the former Detroit boxing gym of late Hall of Fame boxing trainer Emanuel Steward.

The Detroit Free Press reports (http://on.freep.com/1IKULMJ ) the Kronk Gym will operate from a church basement on the city's west side. Details are posted on the gym's website.

The original Kronk Gym opened under Steward in the early 1970s. It was closed in 2006 after it fell on tough times and vandals stole copper piping and wiring from the building. Steward moved the gym to another location and it was closed after his death in 2012.

The International Boxing Hall of Fame trainer worked with a long list of champions, including Thomas Hearns and Wladimir Klitschko.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/opening...8476--box.html

More info: http://www.kronkboxingteam.com/krbococe.html

Damn, very nice. RIP Steward. This will honor his memory well.

Comment

I just saw pics of the gym... looks like crap, seriously. You'd think they would go all out putting together a modern state of the art gym and they come out with some outdated ghetto ass gym. Hell no. This is a disgrace to his legacy.

Comment

Originally posted by Golovkin View Post
        I just saw pics of the gym... looks like crap, seriously. You'd think they would go all out putting together a modern state of the art gym and they come out with some outdated ghetto ass gym. Hell no. This is a disgrace to his legacy.

I think it looks good

Comment

Hopefully this gym is restored to it's rightful prominence as the top boxing gym in America

Comment

The Heavyweight Factory looks better

Comment

Sugar Ray Robinson started boxing out of a church's boxing team. Don't let the looks of the place fool you.

Comment

what's wrong with it? looks like every other boxing gym, the essentials are there. plus i don't think they have that kind of money to make it modern state of the art, whatever that is.

Comment

Originally posted by Body Movin' View Post
                  what's wrong with it? looks like every other boxing gym, the essentials are there. plus i don't think they have that kind of money to make it modern state of the art, whatever that is.
                  The only thing you could consider modern state of the art in a boxing gym is brand new gloves.

Comment

Originally posted by Golovkin View Post

You've obviously never seen the original Kronk. It was nothing even close to resembling a "state of the art" gym, yet they raised beasts.

Comment

Working...
                    X