Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HBO is absolutely amazing at building stars: Pac, Floyd, GGG, Crawford....

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HBO is absolutely amazing at building stars: Pac, Floyd, GGG, Crawford....

Cotto etc etc. Any other ones?

Felix Verdejo will be absolutely massive soon too.

The other networks suck @ss with their young fighters/budding stars. SHO and the Haymon experience suck @ss.

Jones, De La Hoya

Comment

This is very true. HBO has done a great job with so many fighters. I still like the idea of PBC though.

Showtime was doing a good job with Danny Garcia but the Herrera and Salka fights slowed his momentum.

Comment

Originally posted by Public_Enemy View Post
        This is very true. HBO has done a great job with so many fighters. I still like the idea of PBC though.

Showtime was doing a good job with Danny Garcia but the Herrera and Salka fights slowed his momentum.
        Slowed his momentum lol, lets not sugar coat it man. Herrera whopped that ass 9-3, 8-4 if you're being generous. Salka, 77th ranked in the division below, was the worst cherry pick in history, picked only because Garcia lost the Herrera fight. It was a public execution on a guy that could have been seriously hurt. Then Garcia goes on to get his ass whipped by Lamont in a fight that could have just about been a draw but one in which Garcia probs lost.

That's why he lost his momentum, he's a joke he's kidnapped Herrera's belts and his paper championship is being withheld from Lamont lol. Danny Garcia is the worst thing about boxing. I'd like him if he was allowed to take his losses as he should have done.

Comment

It used to be guys would start on ESPN work there way up to Showtime and graduate to HBO. Now things are a bit more scattered around so there are stars all over the place. Because of that, HBO has contracts with fewer guys so they really put in everything into the guys that do have.

Comment

They are great at building stars, that's another reason I am not sure about PBC, Haymon doesn't know how to build stars at all. Most of the fighters he now manages have actually lost star power since they signed with him, he thinks he can force average fighters into becoming stars, and focuses too much on undefeated records.

Comment

inb4 Inkanyamba defends Showtime

Comment

Originally posted by Pac=Duran View Post
                Slowed his momentum lol, lets not sugar coat it man. Herrera whopped that ass 9-3, 8-4 if you're being generous. Salka, 77th ranked in the division below, was the worst cherry pick in history, picked only because Garcia lost the Herrera fight. It was a public execution on a guy that could have been seriously hurt. Then Garcia goes on to get his ass whipped by Lamont in a fight that could have just about been a draw but one in which Garcia probs lost.

That's why he lost his momentum, he's a joke he's kidnapped Herrera's belts and his paper championship is being withheld from Lamont lol. Danny Garcia is the worst thing about boxing. I'd like him if he was allowed to take his losses as he should have done.
                Originally posted by Pac=Duran View Post

Correct me if I'm wrong. We're discussing the building of boxing stars right? Not whether you thought he won or loss against Herrera. That's not really the point. The point is Showtime gave Danny good fights where he would look good and build his fanbase. Then he was put on the undercard of the biggest fight in years, Canelo/Mayweather. That's quality development. Another smart decision was giving Danny a fight in Puerto Rico but they chose the wrong opponent. HBO most likely wouldn't have made the Herrera mistake.

This thread shouldn't be about your dislike for a fighter. Remember, he still has legit wins over Khan and Matthysse. That's why I said slowed his momentum because he's still a popular fighter. Plus the fight against Peterson peaked at 4.2 million viewers and averaged about 3.4. Garcia has a solid fanbase in Philadelphia and New York as well.

I would say Khan, Broner, Garcia and Thurman are Haymons most popular fighters.

Comment

lol what>>>

floyd is self made,,,if he was still with top skank hed be constantly getting punish for being to out spoken,,

as far as pquaioa he could have been a made man on any netowkr considering he pili[pino and they get a built in fannbaser.same goes for canelo like mexico,,

GGG is the only "star" thy built from scrash

Comment

On a side note the commentary for Gonzales-Sosa was literally the most biased I have ever seen on HBO. I mean.........yeah Gonzales dominated but sheesh they literally treated Sosa like a punching bag to hype of Roman. Luckily he actually deserves all that hype for being so damn good.

Comment

Working...
                    X