Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

In order to steal the September date from Canelo, who will F$M have to fight?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
    Agree with this as well. A cotto/Floyd fight on CBS or NBC would easily do 7 million IMO.
    10M+. Mayweather-Cotto 2 is going to SHO though.

Comment

All these posts about the Cotto fight being boring... Did you guys even watch the first fight? Seriously, no trolling whether you thought it was a wide win for Floyd whatever. The fight was one of the least boring Floyd fights he's ever had. People were calling Floyd old after that fight and this was when Cotto was washed up for the second or third time. You must be ****** to think that fight was boring and would be less entertaining than Khan, Thurman, Danny or any other fight Floyd can be in other than GGG. Cotto did not get outclassed anywhere Canelo or Manny. Hell he won as many rounds as the other two did combined. You can think he lost by a lot, but boring? Just trolling or ******ity.

Comment

Originally posted by RL_GMA View Post
        Considering how much money Showtime / CBS is going to make off Mayweather vs Pac after all is said and done....

Don't be surprised if Floyd's swan song is on....

One thing I think we've all learned over the years with Floyd is he's always got a trick or two up his sleeve. They know they've exhausted every big fight they could make, so why not give back to the fans who dished out $100 last May and put the fight on Network TV? Showtime likely made the money they would've made in 3 Floyd PPVs, and adding sponsors that would get behind his final fight, I wouldn't be shocked at all if that's the plan.

As for Cotto and Canelo, that fight isn't going to happen in Sept. Cotto's not going to jump right into another training camp, especially against Canelo. They got time to sell the fight for Nov / Dec being Pacquiao's not gonna fight in Novemeber now. I don't see the whole point of the Mexican Independence date. Those same people who will go see Canelo will still go see him in Nov / Dec.
        Would be interesting to see what sponsors would want to get behind a Mayweather fight, given the new attenion to his domestic violence history.

Not sure what Mayweather's group think his next fight would make, money-wise, but it seems doubtful a network tv fight would come close to matching it.

Unless Mayweather's looking to parlay a network tv fight into something else...or perhaps Haymon has plans on using a large portion of the PBC warchest to make up the difference and help pay Mayweather's purse for a network tv fight.

Comment

Originally posted by Boxfan83 View Post
          Personally, I think Cotto is going to choose to fight Mayweather instead of Canelo which in turn I believe can take the September date. One thing about boxing is anything is possible, Cotto has a tuff fight against Geale and anything could happen, a loss, an injury etc so Canelo and GBP putting all their eggs in one basket could equate to some trouble by opening their mouths to soon. This does put Cotto back in the drivers seat (where he likes to be) if he wins so Canelo himself will need a big opponent on standby which there isn't to many to choose from that would take the September date unless he fights GGG.
          Nobody cares about Cotto fighting Floyd he would have to fight GGG or Kieth Thurman for Canelo to change the date

Comment

Originally posted by Motofan View Post
            Its true, but isn't anything a letdown at this point? The fight he was supposed to be afraid of for years is over and wasn't even competitive. Whats left?
            Seems like this very reason makes the fight intriguing, even if it is someone like Garcia.

Any chance he risks everything on Thurman or Khan? Seems like either of those guys would be too risky at this point; there will obviously be a let down in camp and they will want an opponent with no physical advantages at all.

Comment

Personally, I think Cotto is going to choose to fight Mayweather instead of Canelo which in turn I believe can take the September date. One thing about boxing is anything is possible, Cotto has a tuff fight against Geale and anything could happen, a loss, an injury etc so Canelo and GBP putting all their eggs in one basket could equate to some trouble by opening their mouths to soon. This does put Cotto back in the drivers seat (where he likes to be) if he wins so Canelo himself will need a big opponent on standby which there isn't to many to choose from that would take the September date unless he fights GGG.
              Triple GGG and Cotto because he has a big latin following. I wouldnt mind seeing Floyd/Cotto II.

Comment

Basically anyone coming in with some interest, tbh.

Floyd Mayweather basically did ~$70m in PPV revenue for each of the two Maidana fights (Maidana knock off 'mini-Floyd' and being fully embraced by the Mexican American fight audience, and then giving Floyd "hell on Earth" for the first eight rounds of the first fight helped gird the PPV number). PPV distributors took home 40% of the revenue on both fights.

If Floyd fights Kell Brook(c)[dominant win in front of a passionate 20,000-strong audience in London on Showtime], Amir Khan[dominant win over Chris Algieri], Keith Thurman[clear win and exciting performance on primetime NBC], or Danny Garcia[so-so performance against Peterson, but with four years of top-level content, and the Matthyesse performance as the chif support to Mayweather-Alvarez, to build his claim on], you can reasonably expect said PPV to bring in at least $70m in revenue on Mayweather's name alone (that could go up if they play up the "last chance to see Mayweather" arc, let alone whatever money/fanbase the opponent is able to bring to them.

Cotto-Alvarez is maybe a $70m PPV fight (won't waste the time with pricing or buyrates or whatever else). Canelo vs any other fighter (sans Mayweather or Pacquiao) likely tops out $30m-$35m in PPV revenue.

No PPV distributor is going to walk away from 40% on a Mayweather event, even if the alternative is Cotto-Canelo.

Comment

Mayweather could fight Foghorn-Leghorn and he would still get the September 12 date. Alvarez is a nobody with an ego. He will realize just how little power he has very soon.

Comment

Alot of yall are going to look like dumb asses when Cotto fights Canelo.

Comment

Originally posted by ElMeroChingon View Post
                      Doubt it,

it was a miracle the Pacquiao fight got made. They would hand over Cotto over to FLoyd so fast after getting signed for a lot of money, and that's a guaranteed "L" for Roc Nation, along with the underlying issues with ROC vs Haymon.

Cotto lost all 12 rounds in the first, and RN is going to put him in there for a rematch?

tuff cookie to sell, even after the disappointing "FIght of the Century".
                      Pass me that ohhweee. Cotto lost all 12!?

Comment

Working...
                      X