Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What if Mayweather-Pacquiao was like Trinidad-Vargas? What then? (Read.)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The conversion rate of casual to actual fan would've been miniscule anyway. People only watched it because they felt they couldn't afford to miss out on the "fight of the century".

Comment

Originally posted by b00g13man View Post
      The conversion rate of casual to actual fan would've been miniscule anyway. People only watched it because they felt they couldn't afford to miss out on the "fight of the century".
      Much better than now. I thought boxing was boring as **** till I happened to catch Trinidad Vargas and Barrera Morales, then I was hooked

Comment

I was thinking about this after the Mayweather-Pacquiao fight. If a firefight between two strong accurate punchers like Trinidad-Vargas happens in this day of age it would be the winning lottery ticket for Boxing as a sport and give it life with younger fans. I don't know what it is but im dying for Boxing to get real exposure and not a bunch of hype like the Mayweather-Pacquiao fight. Every weekend I'm thinking when is the new Tito-Vargas,Barrera-Morales,Rafa Marquez-Vasquez and Castillo-Corrales type fight going to finally happen on PPV,NBC,CBS,SpikeTv,HBO,Showtime where all the casuals are tuning in?

The Trinidad-Vargas fight made me a huge boxing fan. From that day on I haven't missed a fight. I think the recipe for having success are making the best fight the best. I feel like the public is not dumb they will watch if it's a toss up fight.

Comment

Originally posted by Bitter End View Post
          7 million buys? That would set the bar so high.
          casuals were suckers specially for exciting fights. the 5.6M will buy it again for sure and the word of mouth would surely add 1.4M minimum.

so bad what we had is an uneventful fight that bore the casuals to death.

Comment

Originally posted by HeroBando View Post
            Much better than now. I thought boxing was boring as **** till I happened to catch Trinidad Vargas and Barrera Morales, then I was hooked
            I said miniscule, not non-existent.

Comment

Originally posted by b00g13man View Post
              I said miniscule, not non-existent.
              Alright. Even thats relative, given you had 5m viewers, miniscule can be a lot. But for sure many would be giving it a second chance if theyd seen Trinidad Vargas

Comment

All I know is I won't be able to talk to my casual friends about boxing for a while, it would have been the opposite if it was Trinidad vs Vargas. Before some Floyd nuthugger says that I am just "salty" because Manny lost, if anyone bothers to look I said right after the fight was announced that I would prefer that Pacquiao got knocked out if Floyd was to win that way at least the fight is entertaining.

Comment

Undoubtedly one of my favorite fights ever:

-Both fighters undefeated
                  -Both fighters were champions
                  -Both fighters were young
                  -Both fighters had a high KO percentage
                  -Both fighters had aggressive styles
                  -Both fighters had disdain for each other
                  -Mexico/PR rivalry
                  -Both fighters get knocked down for a total of six knockdowns
                  -Both fighters get deducted points for low blows
                  -Dramatic opening round
                  -Dramatic closing round finish

^^^Find me any other fight that has anywhere close to all these ingredients. That fight was just brutal.

Comment

the only problem i had with tito-vargas was the low blow

Comment

Originally posted by AFTER HOURS View Post
                      the only problem i had with tito-vargas was the low blow
                      I still feel the ball punching was the real issue. Getting hit with serious power to the balls three times... Trinidad loses this fight without those low blows.

Comment

Working...
                      X