Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have you predicted all PBC fights so far?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have you predicted all PBC fights so far?

I dont know about anyone else but I haven't been able to get to excited about PBC other than its BOXING on national television. Other than that, the matches have all been predicted before they've fought. It kind of seems like there will be a "Floyd Mayweather" in every division, meaning there will be 1 guy at the top of each division(s) with virtually no threat to them. PBC will continue to make $ off the haters and underdog lovers without worrying about facing an upset to one of their favored.

Yes I have predicted both of the PBC card winners so far. But I can't say there have been too many instances where I missed the HBO or Showtime bouts. I understand that mismatches aren't what gets everyone pumped in boxing, but people are acting like Haymon and PBC are the first promoters to set up these kind of fights. Most boxing matches are fairly easy to predict. Occasionally you see an upset, and you more or less wait for PPVs for the flip-a-coin type match ups. This is the same old model, just done on free TV, and yet somehow that's been met with anger from many boxing fans.

(Disclaimer, when I said same old model I meant in terms of mismatched fights, not in the way the PBC company is being run or their long term goals)

Comment

All of em i got right. As for this weekend, i'm thinking PEDerson in an upset for some reason. I dont know why, but.....As for Quillin/Lee, i'd prefer Lee but Quillin will win.

Comment

I'd say to give them time, they're just getting started, I'm sure a Matthysse-Garcia type of matchup is not very far away.

Comment

Yeah, I guess the toughest fight on paper was Thurman vs Guerrero but I'm sure the vast majority favored Thurman.

My initial fear when it was announced Haymon bought all this airtime on NBC (and others coming later) is it would be nothing more than showcase fights, building certain guys into stars. Because that's all he's ever done since he's been in boxing. Not many "risky" fights for his guys. Low risk high reward. So far the cards haven't been too bad as far as match-ups go, but I'm not overly impressed with it either. Garcia vs Peterson is probably the best fight so far and even that Garcia should be heavily favored. I really hope that's not the best he has in store for us. What I hope is that the competition for these guys increasingly gets better, not worse.

Good match ups usually result in good fights. Not always, (bradley vs alexander is a good/bad example) but that's what people want to see - the best fighting the best. The boxing community grows tired fast of mismatches and showcase fights.

Comment

Originally posted by ***1048;ATAS View Post
            Yeah, I guess the toughest fight on paper was Thurman vs Guerrero but I'm sure the vast majority favored Thurman.

My initial fear when it was announced Haymon bought all this airtime on NBC (and others coming later) is it would be nothing more than showcase fights, building certain guys into stars. Because that's all he's ever done since he's been in boxing. Not many "risky" fights for his guys. Low risk high reward. So far the cards haven't been too bad as far as match-ups go, but I'm not overly impressed with it either. Garcia vs Peterson is probably the best fight so far and even that Garcia should be heavily favored. I really hope that's not the best he has in store for us. What I hope is that the competition for these guys increasingly gets better, not worse.

Good match ups usually result in good fights. Not always, (bradley vs alexander is a good/bad example) but that's what people want to see - the best fighting the best. The boxing community grows tired fast of mismatches and showcase fights.
            The showcase fights will be for younger fighters/up and comers. that's the standard way to build a young fighter and I don't expect that to change .

As for showcase fights for established fighters-while I hope we see very few of these-if you look at how GGG is being showcased and marketed on HBO, its probable Haymon may do something similar with an Errol Spence.

Comment

Originally posted by Nic-NC View Post
              Yes I have predicted both of the PBC card winners so far. But I can't say there have been too many instances where I missed the HBO or Showtime bouts. I understand that mismatches aren't what gets everyone pumped in boxing, but people are acting like Haymon and PBC are the first promoters to set up these kind of fights. Most boxing matches are fairly easy to predict. Occasionally you see an upset, and you more or less wait for PPVs for the flip-a-coin type match ups. This is the same old model, just done on free TV, and yet somehow that's been met with anger from many boxing fans.

(Disclaimer, when I said same old model I meant in terms of mismatched fights, not in the way the PBC company is being run or their long term goals)
              I will agree with you to an extent because I know its a promotors job to hype a fight(ers), GBP was notorious for getting fans pumped for their mismatches but Top Rank (although they recycle) their matches are/were kinda a toss up. The problem I see is if PBC isnt going to do business with other promotors when will we ever really get to see a "I cant call it" type match. If you see things like I do, I think you see who his top dogs are in every divsion and the scraps they're going to be fed.

Comment

All easy to predict. You want the next ones? Garcia in a shady looking win, and Quillin in a shady looking win.

Comment

yes, but to be fair, upsets are rare

Comment

Originally posted by mrlopez View Post
                    All of em i got right. As for this weekend, i'm thinking PEDerson in an upset for some reason. I dont know why, but.....As for Quillin/Lee, i'd prefer Lee but Quillin will win.
                    Like you I am foreseeing an upset too but thats the trickery of it all. For Peterson to win, he'd have to jab his way in and stay there without getting clipped which is wishful thinking. Betting on Peterson is like betting on Judah. After you bet on the guy and lose you slap yourself on the forehead thinking did I just really put $ on this guy.

Comment

Working...
                    X