No announcement yet.

Darren Barker: greatest middleweight we've seen since Hopkins

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Darren Barker: greatest middleweight we've seen since Hopkins

Many talk about GGG being this unbeatable phenom, but when you look at a prime Darren Barker you realise that GGG is just a poor imitation of him. Darren Barker had the skills to pay the bills, beating a prime Geale and softening him up for GGG is reminiscent of Mayweather doing a job on the most famous Mancunian since Sir Alex Ferguson, Ricky Hatton. Barker could slug, box, jab, move and this was all with a bad knee and back. Wins over quality fighters such as Rotolo, Mazurek and McKay solidified him as the greatest middleweight of his generation.

If GGG ever had the gumption to fight Barker in 2010, the boy would be working as a cleaner at an airport. "Schooled and out of his depth" would have been the headline on ring magazine. If you're a kid who wants to be a boxer, go look back at Darren Barker's numerous legendary encounters; I'm sure they're still available on YouTube. I wanted to write this piece to allow my fellow boxingheads a chance to remember the greatness of one Darren Barker.

WTF, a Darren Barker troll? Or a Sergio troll?

Comment

Obviously you're kidding but I must be missing the joke. Barker was an OK fighter, nothing special, nothing terrible. Punchline please?

Comment

I would go one step further and say Barker is THE best middleweight ever

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Truth. View Post
            I'm going to go an even further step forward and say he's an ATG top 10 boxer.

Comment

Originally posted by BodiesInFlight View Post
              I'm going to go an even further step forward and say he's an ATG top 10 boxer.
              **** it, might as well crown him TBE. His skills and resume certainly make a great case for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Truth. View Post
                Something GGG could never achieve.

Comment

Getting KTFO in 2 rounds by featherfisted Felix Sturm is truly a big achievement! I agree, Darren Barker is ATG at certain things...
                  Last edited by From Russia; 03-03-2015, 03:58 PM.

Comment

Barker's Fight of the Year candidate with Geale is still more memorable than anything Golovkin has done. Deal with it.

Comment

Working...
                    X