No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Merchant: Mayweather-Pacquiao is More Like Lewis-Tyson

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by George Orwell View Post
    No its not, Larry. Neither Manny or Floyd are even remotely close to a washed up Mike Tyson
    Correct I was about to say the same thing, Lewis was maybe aged but he was still the top dog and Tyson was just a myth at that point.

Manny and Floyd maybe not what the once were but both are in that Lewis stage not the Tyson stage.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Coleman View Post
      It's funny Larry says that because I see the fight playing out in a very similar fashion with Mayweather weathering the early storm and picking Pacquiao apart in the mid to late rounds. Manny goes the full 12, however.

Tyson put up one good round against Lennox and took a beating the rest of the fight.

Comment

I see this more of a Sugar Ray Leonard vs Marvin Hagler wherein Sugar Ray (one of my fave unfortunately) ducked and waited for Marvin Hagler to get old 7 years later...and when they fought Sugar Ray had the edge and technicalities (and stealing rounds).

Marvin was like Pacquiao - Marvelous and Dangerous in their primes....while Sugar Ray was cunning, scientific, agile and versatile.

To a lesser degree, this also could have been a Sugar Ray Leonard vs Roberto Duran wherein stylistically, Sugar Ray is Floyd Jr and Duran is Pacquiao...uncanny similarities in many ways.

Comment

Originally posted by BIGPOPPAPUMP View Post
          When you ask veteran boxing sage Larry Merchant this question - "Floyd Mayweather-Manny Pacquiao is the biggest fight since...." - it takes a awhile for him to answer.

"Mayweather-[Oscar] De La Hoya maybe in terms of interest," Merchant replies after more than just a few seconds.

Some have said this is the biggest fight since the legendary match-up between Sugar Ray Leonard and Thomas Hearns but Merchant brushes off those comparisons.
          [Click Here To Read More]
          Am I the only one that thinks it might actually be a good scrap? Both fighters have slowed down enough to make it an exciting fight, Paquiao doesn't have the same power he once did, can still punch but is going to have to rely on his swarming in and out punches in bunches, and Floyd doesn't have the same legs he did years ago more stationary than ever so he is gonna have to rely on his defense more than ever and accuracy... They both slowed just enough that they going to get to each other better. Years ago it was going to be somewhat a. Lil tougher to catch Floyd with punches.. Pac has been lo and Floyds is more stationary.. We will see fireworks

Comment

Tyson was a good 15 years past his best. Mayweather and Pacquiao are no were near that washed up and are still the number 1 and 2 in the world.

I agree with who said it's more like Leonard-Hagler.

Comment

Leonard-Hagler is a good comparison, not perfect but I think much more apt.

Roughly 50% still feel Hagler won that fight and is still to this daya fight you can get dudes heated who watched that fight live and feel a different fighter won.

I think this fight could have a lot of that.

Comment

That interview seems a bit disjointed.

The legacy of this fight is still unknown. Could be a damp squib, could be great. The performances given by each man are going to determine how it will be remembered.

Comment

may 2nd is all that counts to me

Comment

Originally posted by THEFRESHBRAWLER View Post
                    After that stunt Jim Lampley pulled with Michelle Beadle he should not even be involved in the fight.
                    I agree 100% about that. Interesting standard, isn't it.

Comment

HBO didn't want that fight for some reason or the other.

Comment

Working...
                      X