Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do boxers have to gain weight to fight in heavier divisions?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I believe Mayweather would beat Super Middleweights. Whether an opponent is 147 or 168 he still won't be able to hit Floyd. In fact they will be slower, making it easier for Floyd avoid punches.

Comment

Originally posted by Cut Man View Post
      I believe Mayweather would beat Super Middleweights. Whether an opponent is 147 or 168 he still won't be able to hit Floyd. In fact they will be slower, making it easier for Floyd avoid punches.
      Yeah im sure that floyd would school ward

Comment

Originally posted by Rath View Post
        yeah like in cris algierri's case Pac drained chris from 140lbs to 144lbs catchweight
        I'm not mentioning the Algieri fight as an example when Algieri was going up in weight you dumbass. You can't be drained going up in weight. I was mentioning the other more obvious ones like cotto, dlh and margarito

Comment

Originally posted by Wuckoo View Post
          I'm not mentioning the Algieri fight as an example when Algieri was going up in weight you dumbass. You can't be drained going up in weight. I was mentioning the other more obvious ones like cotto, dlh and margarito
          so Pac vs DLH fought at catchweight ? when was this? genius

was it Pac who challenges DLH to a welterweight fight or was it the other way around?

just for the sake of argument if DLH was drained then what was Pac then bloated?

did DLH quit in his stool due to exhaustion brought about by his being drained at the weight, was DLH not able to answer the bell in the 9th round because he was so tired and weak to stand due to weight drained

tell me genius

Comment

They don't have to

Comment

Originally posted by Elroy1 View Post
              What are you some sort of idiot? Boxing is a blood sport and aside of skill, weight is the single most important factor.

Weight limits are there to protect the fighters...

A highly skilled but light boxer can be schooled by a bummier boxer simply because he is heftier.

Oscar De La Hoya might have been a better boxer than Mike Tyson..

But everybody knows that Mike Tyson would have obliterated Oscar De La Hoya.

I wonder why?

Not sure if i even agree with that

Comment

they shouldn't "add weight." that's really something you only see in a younger fighter.
                that's really not what they do. sure, they can train some to build muscle, but the kind of muscle that you build will generally tire over the course of a 12 round boxing match.

what they often do is lose less weight. bradley comes into camp well over the middleweight limit. at 140 and 147, he likely has to weaken himself / lose muscle through diet. he doesn't have to do that for a fight at 154 or 160.

Comment

Originally posted by Cut Man View Post

stupid, stupid logic. why not have a minimum weight fight klitschko next? he's faster that floyd by a long shot.

floyd woud get freaking killed by carl froch, and froch is not that good. nevermind klitschko, a hall of fame level HW who is close to a foot taller than floyd, and has close to 100 lbs on him.

you've clearly, clearly never boxed.

Comment

one of the greatest fighters of all time, henry armstrong, used to weigh in the mid 130's for his welterweight title fights.

he held world championships [not paper titles, but was the only champion in the world at the weight] in three weight classes at once! at once! this is pre junior divisions, too. 126, 135, and 147.

imagine that, for a second.

Comment

floyd would tire out almost instantly in a klitschko clinch. you clearly have no idea how large and strong that man is.

HW have a hard time reaching klitschko's chin. these are guys with 75-80 inches of reach, and well over six feet.

Comment

Working...
                      X