Collapse
No announcement yet.

The underappreciated boxing brilliance of Erislandy Lara

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm a fan of Lara style but was a little too cautions against Canelo when he didn't have to be. But that might be on his trainer though because to be honest, most of Ronnie Shields fight like that. Shields I think is one of the best trainers today of teaching PURE BOXING SKILLS and The BASICS but I notice the lack of a Killer Instinct in most of his current fighters for some reason. They all fight VERY CAUTIONS: Edwin Rodriguez, Erislandy Lara, Jermell Charlo...
    Jermall Charlo is one that is a bit more rugged and does have a bit of a Killer Instinct but we shall see once he fights better competition.

But Lara Skills can't be denied!

Comment

Lara is like a sniper. His offense is effective when he gets you targeted and in position to let loose his 1-2s, 2-1s and sometimes finish with the right hook. He uses his feet to create space, invited you in, takes a half step back, then attacks.

The problem is the sniper rifle is only effective when you set your target. When your smothered or out of position what good is a sniper rifle? You better have another weapon in store or your ****ed unless you find a new location, reset, and get your target in position.

It's not about being inactive or tentative. He can only create offense when he has space.

Comment

Originally posted by O.H. Canada View Post
        Agreed. May weather started it. Most of the haters who call boxers runners r Mayweather haters and associate his brilliance with cowardice. Hence why thdy hate on any boxer such as Lara who makes their over hyped and limited (skill wise) fighters like Canelo look bad.

Sad part is, it's all a disgrace to the G.O.A.T. Ali who IMO birthed the style of moving boxers. The versions today are just more refined versions of his float like a butterfly sting like a bee style.
        Actually Ali copy a lot from another Cuban, the WW Champion of the World Luis Manuel Rodriguez...

Comment

Originally posted by SeekDaGreat View Post
          Well, he had to survive the fight. Surely if he engaged further, he would have gotten stopped. I understand why he fought the way he did. He had to. And it almost worked for him. Close fight.
          common man, you know better than that...

Comment

I don't see much complexity in Lara's style, that doesn't mean he isn't a good fighter and a tough outing for almost anybody. If anything, with the tools he possesses...Lara should be able to do more in the ring.

Comment

Originally posted by Doctor_Tenma View Post
              I don't see much complexity in Lara's style, that doesn't mean he isn't a good fighter and a tough outing for almost anybody. If anything, with the tools he possesses...Lara should be able to do more in the ring.
              This post is spot on

Comment

Originally posted by Doctor_Tenma View Post
                Agreed 100%, ppl think that because he got caught by a puncher twice, he is weak, and to me what it shows is that he is a tough as they come, again they forgot what happened after the weight in (the 10 pounds rehydration BS only for him), the size of the ring, the slow mat and the trainer couldn't cool him down with water, he should be doing more with the tools and the heart he have...

Comment

Originally posted by garfios View Post
                  Agreed 100%, ppl think that because he got caught by a puncher twice, he is weak, and to me what it shows is that he is a tough as they come, again they forgot what happened after the weight in (the 10 pounds rehydration BS only for him), the size of the ring, the slow mat and the trainer couldn't cool him down with water, he should be doing more with the tools and the heart he have...
                  Yeah but it's up to Lara, he has this stubbornness about him that annoys me. Even if he believes he beat Canelo (Which is conceivable, could have gone either way) he has to acknowledge that he has to develop some type of infighting ability, he doesn't have to stay in close for long but work a little bit in there and pull out. Also has to variate his attack a little more...those small things would help.

Just to add, I also noticed that he missed some good opportunities to throw the straight left hand to Canelo's body.

Comment

Agreed. May weather started it. Most of the haters who call boxers runners r Mayweather haters and associate his brilliance with cowardice. Hence why thdy hate on any boxer such as Lara who makes their over hyped and limited (skill wise) fighters like Canelo look bad.

Sad part is, it's all a disgrace to the G.O.A.T. Ali who IMO birthed the style of moving boxers. The versions today are just more refined versions of his float like a butterfly sting like a bee style.
                    this is so true I agree, the refined version now is run like chicken, throw less, counter like a butterfly. yes it hurts

Comment

It's different, both Ali and Mayweather punched on the move. Lara operates differently in that he'll move until openings presents itself.

Comment

Working...
                      X