Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

are we supposed to respect boxers as athletes?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't mean to disrespect, but this was sort of a dumb question. Most of these guys are in incredible shape, and the physical punishment risks they are faced with commands respect alone.

I do however have a problem with 'stars' only fighting once or twice a year. Everyone should be doing 3-4 fights/year if healthy enough. Maybe the right question to ask is why training camps need to be 2+ months long? especially for these guys that 'stay in the gym'

Comment

You should do 3 rounds of sparring with a pro somewhere near your weight at your local boxing gym and get back to us. Once you realize you're gassed halfway through the first round and you've never been hit as hard as this guy has hit you in your life (with sparring gloves) and you can't time/or see his punches coming. I think boxers and boxing as a whole will earn the respect from you that it/they so desperately crave.

Comment

Originally posted by wence View Post
        they fight twice a year while soccer or tennis players for example play like 50-100-200 matches a year
        Of course they are athletes. There's a distinct difference though, you PLAY Football or Tennis, you don't play Boxing.

Comment

I've seen some prospects grow from the git go. They start kids of young and out of maybe 100 kids I am seeing 2 boys who are now 8 make the cut starting from 6 years old. They train harder than I've seen many athletes train. 4 miles a day, 5 round jump rope, 5 rounds shadow box, 5 rounds double end, 5 rounds mitts, 15 rounds heavy bag, to finish off with 600 sit ups and 600 push ups Monday through Friday and they only 8 years old. Imagine how much more superior they are going to be physically and athletically when the are 14?

Comment

AWFUL COMPARISON!

Combat Sports their layoffs are always a few months in between fights to allow them to recover. When you're young and trying to make a name for yourself, yeah fighting 4-5 times a year is POSSIBLE. However as you get older, the body takes a little longer to recover so 2 maybe 3 Fights a year is WISE!

I posted on this forum before, fans truly won't respect the sport of boxing until they go spar and a local Gym and get punched in the face a few times. Fans like this talk about the sport like it is just "SO EASY TO DO THAT ANYBODY CAN DO IT"!

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin'
              you're going to either burn those young kids out or damage them with that much work. There is no way that a young boxer needs that much work to fight 1 minute or one and a half minute rounds. Simply rediculous.......... Rockin'
              Have you seen some of the kids now? These boys have around 7-10 fights to date and are doing awesome. One had lost only 1 fight and it was a robbery against someone from Floyds gym.. they have more energy than the adults. Burn out is a worry though but no signs of it , they been training like this for almost a year. When I said Mon trough Friday I did not mean they did this everyday. They have a day of sparing .
              Last edited by Alibata; 01-12-2015, 01:43 PM.

Comment

they fight twice a year while soccer or tennis players for example play like 50-100-200 matches a year
                So you are saying that Boxers should fight 50-100-200 times a year?

Physically impossible, you are not a boxing fan

Comment

Out of all the athletes in all the different sports, fighters get the most respect from me, and out of all the different types of fighters, professional boxers are on top, especially the aggressive no-fear type warriors, for me personally.

Many people underestimate/don't understand what it takes to fight at that level for YEARS. This is more than just a job or a gig it is a way of life.

If you are a fighter and you don't see it that way, lack discipline, etc. you will not make it for long. This is an all day-everyday kind of thing that requires dedication and discipline. You HAVE TO stay in shape year-round or you put yourself at a massive disadvantage. The guys who do, take it very seriously, and push themselves to the max, they are the ones on top. They make it look easy with all their experience, skills, and abilities not to mention the supreme conditioning they are in on fight night.

Most of the "top guys" work hard all day every single day, that's dedication and that deserves respect, but there are those who do see it more as a "job" or "gig" than a way of life- those guys will never make it to the top and some can hardly be considered athletes.

Comment

i wanna know which tennis player or soccer player is playing 200 matches a year

Comment

Yes you are to respect every fighter that steps into the ring...Except Floyd Mayweather.

Glad i could help!

Comment

Working...
                      X