Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do posters say fighting on days other than Mexican holidays affect ppv#'s?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sumthang bit me View Post
    5 of the 10 highest grossing fights of all time weren't on the weekend of May 5th or September 16th. So whats with this myth that those weekends are absolute locks for making the most money?
    You killed your argument with your opening post. 5 of the biggest grossing fights were on those weekends.

Comment

I dont get it either. Are Mexicans really celebrating that much more on a Saturday when it isn't actually May 5th? Americans don't celebrate July 1st say if that is a Saturday and July 4th is on a Tuesday they celebrate the 4th on Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
        Its because while these dates are holidays in Mexico, in the US they are days where there is little competition for sports fans attention from mainstream US sports so the boxing promoters/networks covet these dates.

In May, there is no football or college football, no NCAA hoops, and basketball playoffs are just starting. Baseball is only one month in. In September, pro/college football is early in season, no or college hoops, baseball is winding down and playoffs haven't started.

Floyd and HBO figured this out and put his fights on these weekends after he beat ODH. when Floyd was out, HBO put Manny on these dates. Only now that Canelo wants the dates and since he didn't beat Floyd nor sells more than he, did he bob and ODH come up with the Mexican angle.

Bob is only running with it because he wants to maximize the revenue for cotto/canelo by having it on the May 2nd weekend when their is little competition for fans attention.

You know all this but pretend otherwise because it acknowledging it means holding Bob/Manny accountable if the fight doesn't materialize.
        The other five months that have the highest grossing ppvs were in April, June 2 times, August, November. Not a coincidence Floyd isn't in a single one of them.

"bu but Floyd can fight on any date and sell".

Obviously not.

Comment

so half of the biggest fights in boxing history took place on 2 particular dates and you don't think these dates are any more valuable? is the summer movie season just as valuable as movies released in january?

Comment

Originally posted by Isaac Clarke View Post
            You killed your argument with your opening post. 5 of the biggest grossing fights were on those weekends.
            And 5 weren't. Thats the point.

Comment

With 50 other weekends in a year is it just coincidence that those 2 weekends have 5 of the top 10 highest grossing fights? Or do they affect PPV buys?

Comment

there are about 52 saturdays a year and on these 2 particular saturdays 5 of the highest grossing fights in history happened. on the other 50 the same amount happened.

Comment

Originally posted by Isaac Clarke View Post
                  With 50 other weekends in a year is it just coincidence that those 2 weekends have 5 of the top 10 highest grossing fights? Or do they affect PPV buys?
                  Doesn't affect PPVs at all. Or are you saying there have only been 5 fights on those dates? I mean, damn, how are those Guerrero and Maidana numbers looking? Oh nevermind, those fights were in January and July.

Comment

Originally posted by daggum View Post
                    there are about 52 saturdays a year and on these 2 particular saturdays 5 of the highest grossing fights in history happened. on the other 50 the same amount happened.
                    Now tell me which ones had a 24/7 or All Access?

Comment

This dummy actually wrote this and thought he came up with some brilliant argument without realizing he ethered himself in the opening post

Comment

Working...
                      X