Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fighter of the year..which holds more merit?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Weebler I View Post
    2013 Ring FOTY wasn't Golovkin, it was Adonis Stevenson. Someone changed that on wikipedia. Also, Marquez was Ring FOTY in 2012, not Nonito Donaire.

The real list: http://r i n g t v.craveonline.com/news/182653-past-winners-of-the-ring-year-end-awards

Golovkin won the fans Ring FOTY 2013 poll, that was all, Donaire won the fans poll for Ring FOTY in 2012.

As I see it, Ring and BWAA have both been virtually identical in their choices in the past decade or so. I expect Terence Crawford to win both of this year's awards but he may not.

Which holds more merit? Probably the BWAA, but it's good to have two in case you agree with the other one lol.

Personally, I agreed with Ring's pick of Stevenson last year, but with the BWAA's pick of Donaire in 2012.
    You are correct, it seems to be Juan Manuel Marquez. But then if you google 2012 Ring fighter of the year all you see is articles of Donaire 'winning' it.

Comment

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
      Myth: Ring is owned by a boxing promoter, so it's biased towards his fighters.
      Fact:

2013: Stevenson -
      2012: Donaire - Top Rank
      2011: Ward - Goossen
      2010: Martinez - DiBella
      2009: Pacquiao - Top Rank
      2008: Pacquiao - Top Rank
      2007: Mayweather - Haymon/GBP

BWAA fighters of the year in the same span:

2013: Mayweather - Haymon/GBP
      Good. It's still a goddamn conflict of interest. Like a coach having his brother in law as the referee. It has a bad appearance.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
        Good. It's still a goddamn conflict of interest. Like a coach having his brother in law as the referee. It has a bad appearance.
        Oscar De La Hoya has about as much to do with who The Ring picks for anything, as Rick Reeno has with which poster gets banned or reinstated on Boxingscene.

Comment

Originally posted by Weebler I View Post
          2013 Ring FOTY wasn't Golovkin, it was Adonis Stevenson. Someone changed that on wikipedia. Also, Marquez was Ring FOTY in 2012, not Nonito Donaire.

The real list: http://r i n g t v.craveonline.com/news/182653-past-winners-of-the-ring-year-end-awards

Golovkin won the fans Ring FOTY 2013 poll, that was all, Donaire won the fans poll for Ring FOTY in 2012.

As I see it, Ring and BWAA have both been virtually identical in their choices in the past decade or so. I expect Terence Crawford to win both of this year's awards but he may not.

Which holds more merit? Probably the BWAA, but it's good to have two in case you agree with the other one lol.

Personally, I agreed with Ring's pick of Stevenson last year, but with the BWAA's pick of Donaire in 2012.
          We'll my mistake. Or wikis mistake lol but still stands ring isn't biased for foty

Comment

Oscar De La Hoya has about as much to do with who The Ring picks for anything, as Rick Reeno has with which poster gets banned or reinstated on Boxingscene.
            100% true. But his promotional company does run the magazine. Like when they fired a lot of good writers at Ring all at once.

Comment

Myth: Ring is owned by a boxing promoter, so it's biased towards his fighters.
              Fact:

2013: Stevenson -

BWAA fighters of the year in the same span:

2013: Mayweather - Haymon/GBP
              I think Ring Gave 2012 to Marquez

Comment

BWAA gave roach trainer of the year last year when they clearly shouldn't have

Comment

Originally posted by jas View Post
                  BWAA gave roach trainer of the year last year when they clearly shouldn't have
                  Who should have got trainer of the year last year. Nacho? Joel? Naazim? Ronnie? AGarcia? RGarcia?

Comment

Pacquaio is the only fighter this year to beat a PRIME ELITE opponent
                    He clearly should be fighter of the year

Comment

Originally posted by jas View Post
                      Pacquaio is the only fighter this year to beat a PRIME ELITE opponent
                      He clearly should be fighter of the year
                      It pains me to say it but Kovalev deserves it for unifying 3 of the belts and by beating A legend who IMO can still fight at a high level even after that loss.

Comment

Working...
                      X