Source: http://www.mb.com.ph/SPRT2006031458626.html
WBO champ wants Pacquiao
By dennis principe
IF MEXICAN Oscar Larios won’t be available, reigning world Boxing Organizartion (WBO) superfeatherweight champion Jorge Barrios is willing to challenge Filipino boxing superstar Manny Pacquiao – anywhere, anytime.
The 29-year-old champion from Argentina, upon learning that Pacquiao is still negotiating with two tough Mexican fighters for his next bout, has expressed his willingness to come over to the Philippines to meet Pacquiao.
According to Rex Wakee Salud, a confidante of the GenSan pride, they are considering Barrios as Pacquiao’s next opponent should their discussions with the two Mexican fighters won’t materialize.
Salud, however, stressed that Larios still remains as their top choice with Javier Jauregui as the probable alternate.
"Barrios remains as our option but the problem is he is not from Mexico. We intend to promote this bout as an RP-Mexico rivalry," said Salud.
It was reported earlier on that Larios has backed out of a proposed 10-rounder with Pacquiao sometime in June or July at the Araneta Coliseum after learning that HBO will no longer send a broadcast team to the country owing to the volatile political situation.
Larios also got some sort of a reprieve when the World Boxing Council (WBC) ordered Israel Vazquez to make a mandatory defense against Larios.
Salud said Larios’ camp wants a paycheck of over $400,000 to come to Manila and square off with Pacquiao.
"We are trying to lower it down," said Salud.
Barrios, however, is eager to fight Pacquiao and is even agreeable to stake his WBO crown.
Barrios, who is promoted by Golden Boy Promotions which is owned by boxing superstar Oscar Dela Hoya, won the vacant crown on April 8 last year in Miami via 4th round TKO over Mike Anchondo.
Barrios, from Buenos Aires, has a record of 45-2-1, with 38 KO’s.
Meanwhile, Salud is scheduled to meet ABSCBN officials today to finalize the date of Pacquiao’s next fight.
Among the dates being considered are June 18, 25 or May 2.
The much-awaited bout will also feature Filipino boxers Rey ‘Boom Boom’ Bautista, Randy Suico and Jimrex Jaca against topnotch Mexican pugilists.
Pacquiao will use the tuneup fight to prepare for the rubber match with Erik Morales before the year comes to an end.
WBO champ wants Pacquiao
By dennis principe
IF MEXICAN Oscar Larios won’t be available, reigning world Boxing Organizartion (WBO) superfeatherweight champion Jorge Barrios is willing to challenge Filipino boxing superstar Manny Pacquiao – anywhere, anytime.
The 29-year-old champion from Argentina, upon learning that Pacquiao is still negotiating with two tough Mexican fighters for his next bout, has expressed his willingness to come over to the Philippines to meet Pacquiao.
According to Rex Wakee Salud, a confidante of the GenSan pride, they are considering Barrios as Pacquiao’s next opponent should their discussions with the two Mexican fighters won’t materialize.
Salud, however, stressed that Larios still remains as their top choice with Javier Jauregui as the probable alternate.
"Barrios remains as our option but the problem is he is not from Mexico. We intend to promote this bout as an RP-Mexico rivalry," said Salud.
It was reported earlier on that Larios has backed out of a proposed 10-rounder with Pacquiao sometime in June or July at the Araneta Coliseum after learning that HBO will no longer send a broadcast team to the country owing to the volatile political situation.
Larios also got some sort of a reprieve when the World Boxing Council (WBC) ordered Israel Vazquez to make a mandatory defense against Larios.
Salud said Larios’ camp wants a paycheck of over $400,000 to come to Manila and square off with Pacquiao.
"We are trying to lower it down," said Salud.
Barrios, however, is eager to fight Pacquiao and is even agreeable to stake his WBO crown.
Barrios, who is promoted by Golden Boy Promotions which is owned by boxing superstar Oscar Dela Hoya, won the vacant crown on April 8 last year in Miami via 4th round TKO over Mike Anchondo.
Barrios, from Buenos Aires, has a record of 45-2-1, with 38 KO’s.
Meanwhile, Salud is scheduled to meet ABSCBN officials today to finalize the date of Pacquiao’s next fight.
Among the dates being considered are June 18, 25 or May 2.
The much-awaited bout will also feature Filipino boxers Rey ‘Boom Boom’ Bautista, Randy Suico and Jimrex Jaca against topnotch Mexican pugilists.
Pacquiao will use the tuneup fight to prepare for the rubber match with Erik Morales before the year comes to an end.
Comment