By Joaquin Henson
CEBU – Filipino fighters are now in high demand by international promoters and Cebu-based businessman Tony Aldeguer said yesterday Manny Pacquiao paved the way to open a giant window of opportunity for local pros to earn big bucks in the US market.
"It’s always been my dream to prove to the world that Filipino fighters are at par with the world’s best," said Aldeguer whose renowned ALA (for Antonio Lopez Aldeguer) stable now has 47 fighters. "In my 25 years in boxing, there was never a doubt in my mind that Filipinos are just as skilled and strong as the best boxers in the world."
Aldeguer, 64, said boxing is a passion and not a source of living for him.
"I don’t sign my fighters to contracts," he said. "All I ask from them is to train and fight hard. We’ve got the talent in the country. What we need is the opportunity to show what our fighters can do."
Today, several of the country’s world-ranked fighters trace their roots to Aldeguer’s stable. Rodel Mayol, Randy Suico, Malcolm Tunacao, Gerry Peñalosa and Rev Santillan were once ALA Boys.
And Aldeguer has more fighters in his camp, ready to take the world by storm. Bantamweight Rey (Boom Boom) Bautista is his brightest prospect. Another shining star is superflyweight Z Gorres who fights Waengpetch Chuwatana of Thailand for the vacant Oriental crown in Mandaue on Saturday.
Aldeguer’s chief lieutenant Sammy Gello-ani said several former amateur stars will soon turn pro as ALA Boys and the burgeoning stable continues to grow. A hot prospect is 17-year-old superflyweight A. J. Banal who reportedly has the power of Pacquiao and the swagger of Bautista.
No wonder US promoters are lining up to lock in ALA Boys for fights.
The other day, Top Rank matchmaker Bruce Trampler offered to represent five ALA Boys, including Bautista, in the US.
And a source said Golden Boy Promotions vice president Eric Gomez and an associate are arriving in Cebu on Thursday to make a major announcement on a breakthrough deal with Aldeguer.
Golden Boy owner Oscar de la Hoya would’ve made the trip himself but he’s now in serious training for his May 6 comeback against World Boxing Council superwelterweight champion Ricardo Mayorga.
Bautista, Gorres and another ALA Boy Czar Amonsot recently figured in US fights and impressed American promoters. Because of Aldeguer’s reputation as a no-nonsense businessman and breeder of high-caliber Filipino fighters, more and more US promoters are trying to sign him up to a relationship deal.
Trampler said he has been authorized by Top Rank head Bob Arum to recruit 10 new fighters, five of whom will come from the Philippines.
"I know that you are very aware of our relationship with Manny whom we have provided with his biggest paydays after he had a disastrous relationship with his former promoter Murad Muhammad," said Trampler who has worked 25 years with Arum. "We have also been able to help young Brian Viloria to become the WBC world champion and gave Bobby Pacquiao his opportunity against Carlos Henandez. We have also provided Bautista with two fights so far without having a promotional contract."
Trampler said Top Rank is made up of "humble" and "honorable" people with a track record of success involving fighters like Muhammad Ali, Marvin Hagler, Sugar Ray Leonard, Tommy Hearns, Roberto Duran, Carlos Monzon, Erik Morales and Pacquiao.
Realizing that Golden Boy is also negotiating a deal with Aldeguer, Trampler said: "Because of our history of success, we do not fear competition from other promoters. You will be approached by people who make promises and claims about what they will do for your stable but they can’t point to our track record. Remember it was Top Rank that made de la Hoya. I am very close friends with Oscar, Richard Schaeffer, Eric Gomez and everyone at Golden Boy but they are just learning the business. And much of what they are learning is being taught to them by Top Rank."
To prove how serious Top Rank is, Trampler invited Aldeguer, Gello-ani and ALA Boys trainer Edito Villamor to Las Vegas "as our guests to meet with my people and to formalize contracts between Top Rank and your boxers."
Trampler took a swipe at Golden Boy’s World Cup format, which is being offered to Aldeguer as a way to introduce ALA Boys to the mainstream US market.
"With regard to the fabricated so-called World Cup that Golden Boy did with Mexicans against Thai boxers and now wants to do with Filipinos versus Mexicans, that is complete nonsense," said Trampler.
"There is no such thing as a World Cup in boxing although to be fair, (Los Angeles-based agent) Mike Koncz and I have had several discussions with Bob (Arum) and (Top Rank president) Todd duBoef about such a show in either California or Las Vegas and we would like to continue to pursue that idea."
Trampler listed 41 TV dates for Top Rank cards this year and 43 top-notch fighters, including several world champions, whom the company represents in his letter to Aldeguer to support his case.
CEBU – Filipino fighters are now in high demand by international promoters and Cebu-based businessman Tony Aldeguer said yesterday Manny Pacquiao paved the way to open a giant window of opportunity for local pros to earn big bucks in the US market.
"It’s always been my dream to prove to the world that Filipino fighters are at par with the world’s best," said Aldeguer whose renowned ALA (for Antonio Lopez Aldeguer) stable now has 47 fighters. "In my 25 years in boxing, there was never a doubt in my mind that Filipinos are just as skilled and strong as the best boxers in the world."
Aldeguer, 64, said boxing is a passion and not a source of living for him.
"I don’t sign my fighters to contracts," he said. "All I ask from them is to train and fight hard. We’ve got the talent in the country. What we need is the opportunity to show what our fighters can do."
Today, several of the country’s world-ranked fighters trace their roots to Aldeguer’s stable. Rodel Mayol, Randy Suico, Malcolm Tunacao, Gerry Peñalosa and Rev Santillan were once ALA Boys.
And Aldeguer has more fighters in his camp, ready to take the world by storm. Bantamweight Rey (Boom Boom) Bautista is his brightest prospect. Another shining star is superflyweight Z Gorres who fights Waengpetch Chuwatana of Thailand for the vacant Oriental crown in Mandaue on Saturday.
Aldeguer’s chief lieutenant Sammy Gello-ani said several former amateur stars will soon turn pro as ALA Boys and the burgeoning stable continues to grow. A hot prospect is 17-year-old superflyweight A. J. Banal who reportedly has the power of Pacquiao and the swagger of Bautista.
No wonder US promoters are lining up to lock in ALA Boys for fights.
The other day, Top Rank matchmaker Bruce Trampler offered to represent five ALA Boys, including Bautista, in the US.
And a source said Golden Boy Promotions vice president Eric Gomez and an associate are arriving in Cebu on Thursday to make a major announcement on a breakthrough deal with Aldeguer.
Golden Boy owner Oscar de la Hoya would’ve made the trip himself but he’s now in serious training for his May 6 comeback against World Boxing Council superwelterweight champion Ricardo Mayorga.
Bautista, Gorres and another ALA Boy Czar Amonsot recently figured in US fights and impressed American promoters. Because of Aldeguer’s reputation as a no-nonsense businessman and breeder of high-caliber Filipino fighters, more and more US promoters are trying to sign him up to a relationship deal.
Trampler said he has been authorized by Top Rank head Bob Arum to recruit 10 new fighters, five of whom will come from the Philippines.
"I know that you are very aware of our relationship with Manny whom we have provided with his biggest paydays after he had a disastrous relationship with his former promoter Murad Muhammad," said Trampler who has worked 25 years with Arum. "We have also been able to help young Brian Viloria to become the WBC world champion and gave Bobby Pacquiao his opportunity against Carlos Henandez. We have also provided Bautista with two fights so far without having a promotional contract."
Trampler said Top Rank is made up of "humble" and "honorable" people with a track record of success involving fighters like Muhammad Ali, Marvin Hagler, Sugar Ray Leonard, Tommy Hearns, Roberto Duran, Carlos Monzon, Erik Morales and Pacquiao.
Realizing that Golden Boy is also negotiating a deal with Aldeguer, Trampler said: "Because of our history of success, we do not fear competition from other promoters. You will be approached by people who make promises and claims about what they will do for your stable but they can’t point to our track record. Remember it was Top Rank that made de la Hoya. I am very close friends with Oscar, Richard Schaeffer, Eric Gomez and everyone at Golden Boy but they are just learning the business. And much of what they are learning is being taught to them by Top Rank."
To prove how serious Top Rank is, Trampler invited Aldeguer, Gello-ani and ALA Boys trainer Edito Villamor to Las Vegas "as our guests to meet with my people and to formalize contracts between Top Rank and your boxers."
Trampler took a swipe at Golden Boy’s World Cup format, which is being offered to Aldeguer as a way to introduce ALA Boys to the mainstream US market.
"With regard to the fabricated so-called World Cup that Golden Boy did with Mexicans against Thai boxers and now wants to do with Filipinos versus Mexicans, that is complete nonsense," said Trampler.
"There is no such thing as a World Cup in boxing although to be fair, (Los Angeles-based agent) Mike Koncz and I have had several discussions with Bob (Arum) and (Top Rank president) Todd duBoef about such a show in either California or Las Vegas and we would like to continue to pursue that idea."
Trampler listed 41 TV dates for Top Rank cards this year and 43 top-notch fighters, including several world champions, whom the company represents in his letter to Aldeguer to support his case.
Comment