No announcement yet.

Juan Manuel Marquez and Kell Brook in preliminary talks for summer showdown

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Juan Manuel Marquez and Kell Brook in preliminary talks for summer showdown

Kell Brook pencilled in for March 7 return and being lined up for summer showdown with Juan Manuel Marquez or Amir Khan
    Eddie Hearn tells Matt Christie about the course he is plotting for IBF champ Kell Brook
    KELL BROOK is hoping to return to the ring on March 7, 2015, in Sheffield according to his promoter, Eddie Hearn.

The IBF welterweight champion's first defence of the title he won in August against Shawn Porter has been delayed due to the stabbing he endured while on holiday in Tenerife, but the Brit is scheduled to resume training next week. He has until March 15 to make a voluntary defence.

Presuming he negotiates that maiden defence - potentially against the winner of the December 19 eliminator between Ionut Dan Ion and Kevin Bizier then a bumper summer showdown against Juan Manuel Marquez or Amir Khan awaits.

"I've pencilled in March 7 in Sheffield [for Brook's return] and he starts training next week" said Hearn. "It's interesting. Originally, [Leonard] Bundu was going to fight Jo Jo Dan in a final eliminator but now it's [Kevin] Bizier against Dan, so maybe we'll fight the winner of that to get it out of the way to clear the path for a big fight in the summer."

Hearn likes the idea of bring over Mexican legend Juan Manuel Marquez to Britain to challenge his charge in defence No.2.

"I love the [Juan Manuel] Marquez fight," Hearn continued. "I've spoke to Top Rank and Marquez's people. I think Brook-Marquez over here is a wonderful fight and a wonderful event."

Marquez recently admitted in Las Vegas his future is uncertain, but Hearn is confident the old warrior will fight again.

"If he doesn't fight Pacquiao, he would love a crack at a world title in a fifth weight, and he can try that against Kell Brook. Bring him over here, I think it's brilliant."

The other name on Brook's big fight radar is, of course, Amir Khan who takes on Devon Alexander in Las Vegas on December 13. The 2004 Olympic silver medallist has made no secret of his desire to fight pound-for-pound leader, Floyd Mayweather.

"We have to see what happens with Amir Khan," said Hearn. "I think he beats Alexander quite handily and then after that, does he get the Mayweather fight or not? If he doesn't, he will fight Kell Brook."

http://www.boxingnewsonline.net/kell...-or-amir-khan/
    Kell Brook UD/SD/MD
    55.56%
    Kell Brook TKO/KO
    16.67%
    Juan Manuel Marquez UD/SD/MD
    13.89%
    Juan Manuel Marquez KO/TKO
    13.89%
    Draw
    0.00%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by LacedUp; 11-13-2014, 08:02 PM.

Marquez will probably wait out PAC and if he'll move down or not while vacating

Comment

It'd be a shame to see J.M.M. lose to Kell Brook. Just like the M.A.B. vs. Khan fight. Non-prime fighters multiple divisions removed from their best weight losing to inferior fighters.

Shawn Porter is a bully and he had nothing for Kell Brook. Brook is just way too huge for Marquez. It'd be ugly. Brook dominates Marquez.
      Last edited by VAGAB0ND; 11-13-2014, 08:32 PM.

Comment

Would much rather see Marquez fight Brook than hang around for Pac to vacate. There's no dignity in that.

Comment

I can't see Marques coming over to the UK to fight, but would be cracking to see a legend fight over here.

Comment

Originally posted by VAGAB0ND View Post
            It'd be a shame to see J.M.M. lose to Kell Brook. Just like the M.A.B. vs. Khan fight. Non-prime fighters multiple divisions removed from their best weight losing to inferior fighters.

Shawn Porter is a bully and he had nothing for Kell Brook. Brook is just way too huge for Marquez. It'd be ugly. Brook dominates Marquez.
            I think Marquez is in a way better state than MAB was by the time he fought Khan.

Comment

Hopefully this is true since just recently Marquez denied any formal talks about a possible bout with Brook.

Would be a hell of a way to end his career in a championship fight in England, win or lose.

Comment

Good fall back fight for Brook if Khan gets the Mayweather fight.

I have my doubts about Marquez coming to the UK and about him accepting the random drug testing protocol.

Comment

brook will beat marquez in far greater fashion than what bradley did to marquez.

i dont understand marquez reluctance to fight pacquiao.

marquez gets more money, more legacy, and has a greater chance of beating pacquiao but gets less money, less legacy, and has a much lower chance of beating kell brook.

i hope beristain is not behind this idiotic managerial move.

Comment

I don't think Beristain will want Marquez coming to the UK, he brought Ceja over who was beaten clearly by McDonnell but didn't agree with the decision.

Comment

Working...
                    X