No announcement yet.

Where do you rate Sergey Kovalev P4P?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HanzGruber View Post
    You laugh at that guy but look how many have him top 4. So he's better than Floyd PAC Juan Tim wlad ward* rigo? For beating no hopers and a 50 yr old. C'mon now. Possibly top 10 but his resume is weak as ***
    You're bitter and resentful af

Kovalev beat world champions, not no-hopers.

Campillo - uncrowned world champion (robbed v Cloud & Shumenov)
    Cleverly - undefeated world champion
    Hopkins - unified world champion

All away from home. He now holds 3 of the 4 LHW belts with the other guy ducking him.

Punchers taking over Gruber, let's see if Floyd wants some of that Thurman fade.
    Last edited by Weebler I; 11-09-2014, 05:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Weebler I View Post
      You're bitter and resentful af

Kovalev beat world champions, not no-hopers.

Campillo - world champion (robbed v Cloud & Shumenov)
      Cleverly - undefeated world champion
      Hopkins - unified world champion

All away from home. He now holds 3 of the 4 LHW belts with the other guy ducking him.

Punchers taking over Gruber, let's see if Floyd wants some of that Thurman fade.
      How am I bitter? Be honest name four of those guys he's proven he's better than. Floyd and PAC are obviously 1-2. Ward if u wanna include him but most don't. So better resume and recent wins than Tim Juan rigo?

Comment

Originally posted by HanzGruber View Post
        How am I bitter? Be honest name four of those guys he's proven he's better than. Floyd and PAC are obviously 1-2. Ward if u wanna include him but most don't. So better resume and recent wins than Tim Juan rigo?
        What have they done lately?

Bradley - lost to Pacquiao, life and death with Provo
        Marquez - lost to Bradley, fought a non top 10 WW, avoiding threats
        Rigo - can't get a decent opponent
        Ward - doesn't want to fight
        Floyd - rematched Maidana and doesn't want to fight the next best

These guys have done nothing recently to warrant automatic status in the top half of any fictional PFP list. It's almost 2015, can't live on the past.
        Last edited by Weebler I; 11-09-2014, 04:50 AM.

Comment

8-10 range.

Comment

Originally posted by Weebler I View Post
            What have they done lately?

Bradley - lost to Pacquiao, life and death with Provo
            Marquez - lost to Bradley, fought a non top 10 WW, avoiding threats
            Rigo - can't get a decent opponent
            Ward - doesn't want to fight
            Floyd - rematched Maidana and doesn't want to fight the next best

These guys have done nothing recently to warrant automatic status in the top half of any fictional PFP list. It's almost 2015, can't live on the past.
            Yeah I know right? Come to think of it, Walters deserves to be Top 5 P4P as well, so does Canelo, as does GGG, so does Crawford. With Kovalev rounding out the Top 5.

Considering everything you posted, you forgot to mention that Floyd & PAC don't deserve Top Ten either because of the Maidana struggle & Algieri scrub fight.

It's all about what you've done in your last 3 fights, nothing before that matters doe.

Ehh, him & GGG are bottom half Top Ten.

Comment

Originally posted by PorterIsFuture View Post
              Yeah I know right? Come to think of it, Walters deserves to be Top 5 P4P as well, so does Canelo, as does GGG, so does Crawford. With Kovalev rounding out the Top 5.

Considering everything you posted, you forgot to mention that Floyd & PAC don't deserve Top Ten either because of the Maidana struggle & Algieri scrub fight.

It's all about what you've done in your last 3 fights, nothing before that matters doe.
              Except I didn't say that, I said they weren't automatic inclusion in the top 5, particularly the likes of Ward, Rigo, Marquez and Bradley.

Boxing is a what have you done lately sport and these guys have been losing, beating sub-par opposition or not fighting at all. In a month it's the year of 2015, are you going to keep Ward on top for beating Dawson in 2012? Marquez for beating Pac in 2012? I can understand them in the top 10, but I don't consider them an automatic lock for top 5.

And I didn't mention Pacquiao, because he beat the next best guy in his division (on paper) willing to fight him this year.
              Last edited by Weebler I; 11-09-2014, 05:39 AM.

Comment

Have people list their minds on here?

I see p4p as it is officially in most scribes, an accumulation of career and recent wins and also on a fighters natural ability. Also one thing which is often overlooked where did that fighter begin weight wise, what is their natural weight? Are they competing out of their weight and still winning and dominating?

Also the p4p list is not and should not be a revolving door, it should not be easy to arrive there and should also not be that easy to lose your place in the top 10 once you are there unless you lose to someone who is not there. That being said I would put Kovalev at the moment in the top 15-20. If you can't think of 14 fighters who have better accomplishments then Kovalev than you have problems, I would not consider 10-15 out of the question based on your judgment of the ability he has shown this far which to me is still a question mark, he has not yet had his mettle tested.

It is of course a very subjective topic, but you shouldnt just rank people based on what they might do against so and so, or you think they are such a force at this present time, you have to actually take achievements into consideration, and finally back to one of my initial points it shouldn't be changed all that much unless those fighters are fighting and there have been losses or results to change perceptions, if you are constantly chopping and changing it devalues the whole thing.

Comment

Certainly has an argument for entering the top 10 now.

Comment

8 to 10, or 5 to 7. i think that "8 to 10" is closer to the truth.

Comment

Originally posted by sunny31 View Post
                      Have people list their minds on here?

I see p4p as it is officially in most scribes, an accumulation of career and recent wins and also on a fighters natural ability. Also one thing which is often overlooked where did that fighter begin weight wise, what is their natural weight? Are they competing out of their weight and still winning and dominating?

Also the p4p list is not and should not be a revolving door, it should not be easy to arrive there and should also not be that easy to lose your place in the top 10 once you are there unless you lose to someone who is not there. That being said I would put Kovalev at the moment in the top 15-20. If you can't think of 14 fighters who have better accomplishments then Kovalev than you have problems, I would not consider 10-15 out of the question based on your judgment of the ability he has shown this far which to me is still a question mark, he has not yet had his mettle tested.

It is of course a very subjective topic, but you shouldnt just rank people based on what they might do against so and so, or you think they are such a force at this present time, you have to actually take achievements into consideration, and finally back to one of my initial points it shouldn't be changed all that much unless those fighters are fighting and there have been losses or results to change perceptions, if you are constantly chopping and changing it devalues the whole thing.
                      Then you end up with a list of a past prime guys who were good years ago, not a reflection of who is the best in the sport today.

The problem is that when fighters hit the top and become the A-side they start taking easier fights because they don't need to take the risks. They may not be the best any more, they're not fighting the best any more (some not even fighting at all) but they still hold onto their PFP spots because of fights which took place years and years ago.

As to devaluing it, it's kind of a load of crap anyway.
                      Last edited by Weebler I; 11-09-2014, 06:24 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X