Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does Canelo lax on certain aspects of his training?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does Canelo lax on certain aspects of his training?

Alvarez is phenomenal to watch when it comes to his power training etc. But I have noticed whenever I watch him on very important aspects of his training he always seems lack lustre, even on media day!

Double End Bag for instance, it's almost as if he is just playing around, breaks every 5 seconds and then throws a few L R L R L R, finishes with a hook and that's it every time!

Then there's his shadow boxing. A couple of punches and a duck here and there. No I'm no super coach but to me it seems like he is stuck in 1st gear here as well.

His Mitt work is impressive, except it seems to be a bit programmed (which is ok really) but focussed mainly towards power and speed/power. Not often counterpunching skills, defensive drills etc etc.

He is in great shape sure and immensely strong. But I think personally he could benefit from concentrating more on his higher level boxing skills now.

I am a big fan of Canelo and just concerned about what I sometimes notice.

Thoughts?

I think he just needs stricter guidance. I definitely think he has improved since the Trout fight. Although not much, but I thought his accuracy with the uppercuts were great against Lara.

I'll be excited if Cotto vs Canelo is officially announced. I expect Canelo to win since Roach/Cotto probably won't be training to box off the back foot.

Comment

Originally posted by Elroy1 View Post
      Alvarez is phenomenal to watch when it comes to his power training etc. But I have noticed whenever I watch him on very important aspects of his training he always seems lack lustre, even on media day!

Double End Bag for instance, it's almost as if he is just playing around, breaks every 5 seconds and then throws a few L R L R L R, finishes with a hook and that's it every time!

Then there's his shadow boxing. A couple of punches and a duck here and there. No I'm no super coach but to me it seems like he is stuck in 1st gear here as well.

His Mitt work is impressive, except it seems to be a bit programmed (which is ok really) but focussed mainly towards power and speed/power. Not often counterpunching skills, defensive drills etc etc.

He is in great shape sure and immensely strong. But I think personally he could benefit from concentrating more on his higher level boxing skills now.

I am a big fan of Canelo and just concerned about what I sometimes notice.

Thoughts?
      If you notice all these faults than maybe you should be his trainer

Comment

Originally posted by Luilun View Post
        If you notice all these faults than maybe you should be his trainer
        Yeah right I don't claim to be a world class trainer like my old mate Mr. Corso.

And I'm not exactly sure they are faults, I just noticed what seems fairly obvious. Check for yourself and form your own opinion if your interested.

I just wondered if anyone else felt similarly and if maybe I was missing something.

Comment

Canelo seems to train hard and do what he's asked, but maybe he needs to be pushed to do more?

Comment

Originally posted by LA_2_Vegas View Post
            Canelo seems to train hard and do what he's asked, but maybe he needs to be pushed to do more?
            He certainly trains hard enough overall.

I just think, that if what we see is representative of his preparation, he could benefit from more skill sharpening activites to the same degree with which he obviously takes his athleticism seriously.

Comment

his trainers need to go they took him as far as they could

Comment

After seeing his absolutely terrible fight plan for the Mayweather fight, Canelo could do with a better trainer. That's the one thing that makes me hesitate to pick him over Cotto.

Comment

Originally posted by solo20 View Post
                  his trainers need to go they took him as far as they could
                  i think this is the best post on this thread

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
                    After seeing his absolutely terrible fight plan for the Mayweather fight, Canelo could do with a better trainer. That's the one thing that makes me hesitate to pick him over Cotto.
                    Yeah I really like Chepo and Eddie, they are like family to him and are good guys. They are good coaches but alas, at this level, they probably do fail Canelo on some finer skill of the sport and tactics.

I don't think Canelo will ever part with them to be honest. I can definitely entertain that it could be the best move for his career.

Surely they are not stupid though and can adapt and learn. Perhaps even bring in another party.

Comment

Working...
                    X