Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When should have Muhammad Ali retired to avoid Parkinson's disease?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When should have Muhammad Ali retired to avoid Parkinson's disease?

Also, what fights do you think are largely responsible for Ali's brain damage?

1970 - 1971
    12.00%
    1972 - 1973
    4.00%
    16.00%
    28.00%
    12.00%
    20.00%
    4.00%
    4.00%
    0.00%
    0.00%

After his 1st career in the 60's, before he absorbed much damage.

From the first fight with Frazier onward he was basically a punch bag.

Even better, had he decided to learn how to box more defensively and train his reflexes, he could gone through his career having escaped such punishment.

Comment

I don't think that Parkinson's can be brought on by boxing. Because of the disease it is difficult to say how much he actually is brain damaged, if at all. But I would've liked to see him retire at the very least before the Holmes' fight, maybe before the first Spinks' bout.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Jeffries View Post
        I don't think that Parkinson's can be brought on by boxing. Because of the disease it is difficult to say how much he actually is brain damaged, if at all. But I would've liked to see him retire at the very least before the Holmes' fight, maybe before the first Spinks' bout.
        Brain trauma of any type seems to increase risk: http://newsroom.ucla.edu/releases/tr...-threat-213647

Comment

This should be good ... Let's hear from the brain surgeons of NSB.

Comment

Being a **** didn't help his chances of avoiding it

Comment

boxing had nothing to do with his Parkinson

Comment

Originally posted by TotalStud View Post
                Brain trauma of any type seems to increase risk: http://newsroom.ucla.edu/releases/tr...-threat-213647
                The current study demonstrated that while a traumatic brain injury does not cause Parkinson's, it can make individuals more susceptible to the disorder.

Perhaps, but there's no way of knowing whether he'd still have it even if he'd never picked up a pair of boxing gloves.

Comment

I remember reading somewhere that Ali's private doctor was interviewed and that he thought Ali should have retired five years earlier than he did. Which means 1976

Comment

After the 3rd Frazier fight.

Comment

Working...
                    X