Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How bad is weight differences on fight night compared to old-school era?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Reloaded View Post
    16 pounds , Floyd gave Oscar that , and Cotto 14 pounds and Canelo 20 pounds , Manny gave that to Mosley Margarito , and they won they never got beat like Robinson did .

May and Pac are just 2 , there a quite few guys fighting today that give that weight away and win yet all this place does is bash them .
    Bro you got it mixed up. He says people would discredit LaMotta for beating Robinson if it was in today's era because LaMotta would outweigh him.

Comment

Originally posted by SlySlickSmooth View Post
      Bro you got it mixed up. He says people would discredit LaMotta for beating Robinson if it was in today's era because LaMotta would outweigh him.
      I didnt get it wrong Im making the point that the guys that give that weight today dont get the credit for winning they get bashed .

Comment

Originally posted by Reloaded View Post
        I didnt get it wrong Im making the point that the guys that give that weight today dont get the credit for winning they get bashed .
        Yeah but you said Manny/Floyd give up weight and they get bashed. In the SRR/LaMotta post, I assume SRR would be Manny/Floyd and LaMotta a fighter that typically outweights them.

Similar to how if Mayweather was to fight Golovkin nowadays, Golovkin gets zero credit because he outweights the P4P best. But many people glorify LaMotta as the first man to be the best ever P4P despite outweighing him by 16 pounds.

If Mayweather fought Golovkin I believe the weight difference would be 19-20 pounds since May comes in the ring at 152 and Golovkin was 171/172 vs Rubio in the ring.

Comment

Yeah but you said Manny/Floyd give up weight and they get bashed. In the SRR/LaMotta post, I assume SRR would be Manny/Floyd and LaMotta a fighter that typically outweights them.

Similar to how if Mayweather was to fight Golovkin nowadays, Golovkin gets zero credit because he outweights the P4P best. But many people glorify LaMotta as the first man to be the best ever P4P despite outweighing him by 16 pounds.

If Mayweather fought Golovkin I believe the weight difference would be 19-20 pounds since May comes in the ring at 152 and Golovkin was 171/172 vs Rubio in the ring.
          He comes in at 150 most times. Against Nelo I think he was 150 and Nelo was 165! Lets leave GGG out of it, because everyone Floyd fights is big as hell. I dont even care about Pac fighting Margarita or mosley at weight disadvantages!

But are we sure that Lomatto didnt weigh more than 160? Surely he weighed more than that on fight night???

Comment

Originally posted by MurkaMan View Post
            He comes in at 150 most times. Against Nelo I think he was 150 and Nelo was 165! Lets leave GGG out of it, because everyone Floyd fights is big as hell. I dont even care about Pac fighting Margarita or mosley at weight disadvantages!

But are we sure that Lomatto didnt weigh more than 160? Surely he weighed more than that on fight night???
            Probably same night weigh-in , or the quoted weights were before both rehydrated , either way if Lamotta went up so did Robinson and difference was probably in line .

Comment

They had same day weigh ins back then. I don't think LaMotta could have weighed much more than 164-165 at the time of the fight.

Comment

To be honest, Nelo was a TINY drained.. he looked alright but still. In his fights with Lara and Angulo he was like 171 and 174 for the Angulo fight when he didn't have to weigh in below the LMW limit like he did for Mayweather. In the Austin Trout fight he weighed in at 173 in the ring. So that is a 8-pound loss Canelo received due to the 152 CW. 8 pounds is a whole division these days.

Also LaMotta & Robinson likely gained no more than two(?) pounds since they weighed in on fight night morning in that era.

Comment

Its typically a case of the average fan has no clue about weight , all they see is one guy beating another in their case Robinson getting beat , would be the same today if GGG beat Floyd , the weight advantage wouldnt come it to the haters , back in the day it would have been even more ignorant fans than today , and boy oh boy when it comes to weight we got plenty of pig ignorant fans today .

Comment

When Basilio dropped his welterweight title to challenge Sugar Ray for the middleweight championship he weighed in at 153. And that was against Robinson. Not peak Robinson, but it was still Robinson.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Rumack View Post
                      When Basilio dropped his welterweight title to challenge Sugar Ray for the middleweight championship he weighed in at 153. And that was against Robinson. Not peak Robinson, but it was still Robinson.
                      Robinson is an ATG but is over rated and put on a pedestal because of the romancing literature put out by history buffs and the era he was in , if you analyze all his opponents he fought 90% bums , you could easily cut his career down to 30-40 fights that are on a par with todays top line fighters , if you push aside the hype and go and watch the actual footage , lots of the modern ATGs would give him hell .

Comment

Working...
                      X