No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Donaire: I'm Not Retiring, Likely Back at Lower Weight

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Donaire: I'm Not Retiring, Likely Back at Lower Weight

Nonito Donaire took a beating from Nicholas Walters last night, and seemed open to retirement during the post-fight interview with Max Kellerman.

But after having a day to think about it, he’s not hanging ‘em up just yet.

Donaire announced his future plans Sunday, via his verified Facebook account.

“I'm going to take some time off and rebuild myself all over again,” he said. “I'll come back stronger and probably at a lower weight.”
    [Click Here To Read More]

Donaire just relies on that power too much. Everything he throws is a powershot. Against big featherweights like walters that can take those shots he is screwed because he doesn't know how to win rounds and put combinations together to soften them up. That's also why he fades late in fights. It's all home runs.

It's frustrating to watch if you're a donaire fan because he clearly has the speed and reflexes to be able to box and set up those powershots.

But I'm afraid that's impossible to correct because that's how he has been fighting all his life and the way he trains. You see him on the mitts or bag it's the same way he just loads on everything.
    Last edited by TRTboy; 10-19-2014, 09:15 PM.

Comment

Donaire can't win unless he fights old guys and blown up 118 guys

Comment

Lmao

Wasn't his excuse about the rigo fight was the difficulty in making weight, but now over a year later he wants to move back

Comment

Donaire needs to fight Mares.

Comment

Good to hear. Donaire isn't done so I found the retirement talk premature.

Comment

"If I got past Walters I would have fought with (Orlando) Salido at 130 (pounds) and really gotten hurt.***8221;

Good thing we won't see him take a beating against Siri as he probably wouldn't be able to speak well after that. You made the right choice Nonita, I look forward to you KO'ing Frampton.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
                Lmao

Wasn't his excuse about the rigo fight was the difficulty in making weight, but now over a year later he wants to move back
                This isn't a crazy contradictory thing. It's especially common for older fighters who can't make weight in their proper weight class anymore, but become less effective when they move up nonetheless. They're stuck between a rock and hard place. Obviously he found out the cons of fighting bigger guys outweigh the cons of making weight in a lower weight class.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
                  Lmao

lol. It was one of the few excuses.

Comment

Now he and Pac got two things something in common.

Comment

Working...
                    X