Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Rigondeaux's win over Donaire one of the most overrated wins of all-time?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It is an overrated win for sure, but wouldn't go so far as overrated of all-time. Donaire had stunk up the joint for a while before finally losing to Rigo and then looked horrid against the old Darchinyan. I mean old Vic was outboxing him, but that stupidity of Vic's couldn't be kept at bay and it got him ko'd once again. Smh.

Comment

Great win bruh

Comment

What are you asking? If donaire is overrated or rigo's schooling donaire is overrated, I agree that donaire was a little overrated but rigo's ass kicking was a master piece

Comment

Wasn't Donaire the FOTY back then? Wasn't he ranked in the P4P top by The Ring?

Comment

Originally posted by SOUTH-FLA View Post
            What are you asking? If donaire is overrated or rigo's schooling donaire is overrated, I agree that donaire was a little overrated but rigo's ass kicking was a master piece
            Well, I think they go hand in hand. Donaire was overrated, so in turn that makes Rigo's win overrated.

I just didn't view Donaire as a Top 10 P4P fighter. And then Rigo smashing Donaire (Who I didn't view as a P4P fighter, at least during the stretch of fights I mentioned) and making Top 3 P4P makes me view Rigo's win as very overrated.

Comment

Originally posted by Jalisciense909 View Post
              Nah, you're actually proving my point. My point is that Donaire never was the God that he was made out to be, so to me it wasn't so shocking that Rigondeaux dominated him.

I just see it as Rigondeaux dominating a good fighter, not Rigondeaux dominating some God, which in turn made Rigondeaux the God.

Just my opinion.
              He dominated a top fighter and multi-weight champion. He made it look ridiculously easy at times in his 12th professional fight.

Comment

I think Donaire has gone downhill since losing to Rigo but heading into that fight, as good as I knew Rigo was, I thought Donaire's size and power would be too much. That win was an incredible win for Rigo and it showed the world just how skilled of a boxer he is. I don't think there is anyone around his weight that can step to him.

Comment

Originally posted by MDPopescu View Post
                  Wasn't Donaire the FOTY back then? Wasn't he ranked in the P4P top by The Ring?
                  Exactly my point! He was Fighter Of The Year and Top 5 P4P based on beating Narvaez, Vazquez Jr., Mathebula, Nishioka, and Arce, .

My point is that Donaire didn't deserve those statuses, which in turn I don't think Rigo deserves those statuses for beating a fighter that didn't deserve them.

Once again though, that's just my opinion.

Donaire was a beast at the lower weights, but I'm talking about that specific stretch of fights that seemed to get him F.O.T.Y. in 2012 and Top 5 P4P status.

Comment

Well, I think they go hand in hand. Donaire was overrated, so in turn that makes Rigo's win overrated.

I just didn't view Donaire as a Top 10 P4P fighter. And then Rigo smashing Donaire (Who I didn't view as a P4P fighter, at least during the stretch of fights I mentioned) and making Top 3 P4P makes me view Rigo's win as very overrated.
                    Even though some of the boxers that Donire had beaten during that run were "old" they were still great technicians with great names that carry weight. The same thing with Garcia's win over Morales....sure Morales was a shell of himself but the name alone catapulted Garcia into semi-stardom.

Comment

I was just checking out the "Roman Gonzalez should be ahead of Rigo P4P" thread and based on what I was reading, I personally think Rigondeaux's win over Donaire is one of the most overrated wins of all-time. And I most definitely agree that Roman Gonzalez should be ahead of Guillermo Rigondeaux on any respectable P4P list.

Gonzalez has 2 current Unified World Champions on his resume in Juan Francisco Estrada and Francisco Rodriguez Jr., and throw in Akira Yaegashi and Katsunari Takayama on top of that.

You're telling me that a resume of Estrada, Rodriguez Jr., Yaegashi, and Takayama is not better than Rigondeaux's win over Donaire?

I mean who did Nonito Donaire beat that made him such a great win for Rigondeaux?

Here's what Nonito Donaire did from October 22nd, 2011 through April 13th, 2013:

1. 10/22/11 - Won UD12 vs. OLD AND TINY Omar Narvaez
                      2. 2/4/12 - Won SD12 vs. Wilfredo Vazquez Jr. (Tiny Jorge Arce's son)
                      3. 7/7/12 - Won UD12 vs. Jeffrey Mathebula (Which is the only good win of the bunch IMO, but not great)
                      4. 10/13/12 - Won TKO9 vs. OLD Toshiaki Nishioka
                      5. 12/15/12 - Won KO3 vs. OLD AND TINY Jorge Arce
                      6. 4/13/13 - Loss UD12 vs. Guillermo Rigondeaux

The fact that Nonito Donaire was on most Top 5 P4P lists and won Fighter Of The Year in 2012 based on this stretch of fights is f**king BLASPHEMY.

Donaire was a heavy favorite in every one of those fights.

Meanwhile, here's what Abner Mares was doing from August 13th, 2011 through May 4th, 2013:

1. 8/13/11 - Won MD12 vs. Joseph Agbeko
                      2. 12/3/11 - Won UD12 vs. Joseph Agbeko
                      3. 4/21/12 - Won UD12 vs. Eric Morel
                      4. 11/10/12 - Won UD12 vs. Anselmo Moreno (Top 10 P4P at the time)
                      5. 5/4/13 - Won TKO9 vs. Daniel Ponce De Leon

I'm pretty sure Mares was the underdog against Moreno and Ponce De Leon.

I just don't understand why Donaire was such a God, and then for beating Donaire, why Rigondeaux is such a God.
                      This post is blasphemous. Donaire was decent but overhyped by fanbois, Rigo is boxing god status not because of that win but because of the entire package of a fighter that he is, that was jsut his biggest win name wise, to casuals it's probably a big deal but real fight fans knew he was the real deal before that.

Comment

Working...
                      X