No announcement yet.

Devon Alexander and the Chinese situation

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Devon Alexander and the Chinese situation

Without getting into the whole racist thing on this, if Devon really wanted a listening audience, I think he could have used a better angle such as instead of people in his community giving money to other businesses, how about encouraging the building the black-owned business community up. Offer something to his community instead of just harboring resentment.

If he senses the need for economic justice in his town, how about taking some of the money he has earned and opening a small chain of soul food restaurants in his community. Hell, I wish someone would open some in my area. I was raised in East Oakland and there used to be more soul food restaurants than there are now. I live not far from there but I'd go anywhere for good soul food.

I will say this, I was always treated with way more respect at black-owned establishments, especially the Black Muslim Bakery, than I have ever been treated at Chinese restaurants. Some of the wait staff at Chinese restaurants are downright rude and unaccommodating. I don't take it too personal because there is a sense of rush and lack of personal customer service at times and that may be more cultural than what I perceive as rudeness which does happen often in my experience.

Devon should have used the approach of establishing an urban presence with self-sustaining black-owned businesses and the message behind community building if he perceived such an issue with the Chinese restaurants. Perhaps he is jealous/envious of their success in his neighborhood, or he had a bad experience which is sounds like since some of those restaurants can have rude people or perceptibly rude people working there.

Simple cure - use his power and money to change things by improving his community with more dining options or other businesses. I think he had a bad experience or a legitimate perception that he took and snowballed into his own judgment and this clouded his opinions and from there he took his uncontrolled emotions to public. He should funnel his emotions into productivity and community involvement, rather than community depreciation.
    Last edited by richardt; 09-03-2014, 01:33 PM.

Thoughts on any of the above?

Comment

See the problem with this is that Devon doesn't seem like too smart of an idividual. Heck the guy rarely even talks on his own without Cunningham. I think I saw someone post in another thread that Devon is supposed to open up a restaurant in St. Louis soon. That could be a start.

Comment

Originally posted by Rip Chudd View Post
        See the problem with this is that Devon doesn't seem like too smart of an idividual. Heck the guy rarely even talks on his own without Cunningham. I think I saw someone post in another thread that Devon is supposed to open up a restaurant in St. Louis soon. That could be a start.
        That's true. I think his resentment stems from an experience that has now clouded his opinion of those people in general and he could have solved his internal conflict with a plan to help his community instead of living bitterly towards individuals. He needs some rehabilitation of his thinking and the words he uses.
        Last edited by richardt; 09-03-2014, 01:43 PM.

Comment

I highly doubt Alexander has the intelligence or right people around him to open up and run a successful resteraunt.

Comment

Originally posted by -Antonio- View Post
            I highly doubt Alexander has the intelligence or right people around him to open up and run a successful resteraunt.
            I've seen stranger things. Maybe, maybe not. Hard to say. He has to overcome his demons though.

Comment

Good take on the situation but it doesn't do anything for Debum The Racist Asianslander. The damage is done now he can't complain if fans put on white pointy hats at his fights.

Comment

As a brotha I'd like to voice my opinion. I think Devon is the real victim here.

Like you, I too acquire my soulfood at black muslim businesses and shun Chinamen to protest racism.

First we had privileged whites, latinos and real regular muslims trying to work and earn a living without giving the black man a cut. Now Chinamen too. Where is the black man's cut? What gives them the right to flaunt their entrepreneurship right in front of the black man without paying him a toll fee.

My father used to tell me "A black man is black" and I will never forget those words. The more I think about it the truer it is. I often pop my head into drive through windows and demand to know where's the black man's cut.

Comment

Whoever leant Devon a copy of Do the Right Thing must be sorry now.

Comment

The problem was Devon's use of the word "chinamen". It's likely Koreans and other ethnicities that own corner shops. He also fails to realize this doesnt only happens in black communities or whatever. White neighborhoods all over the greater Seattle area are full of Korean owned stores. Wth is wrong with a Korean owning a corner store in the first place lol I just don't get it.

He's just not bright enough to articulate his main point which I believe is he wants more blacks to own their own businesses in his city. There is nothing wrong with that, but tossing around the term Chinamen and acting like there is some Asian conspiracy to rip off blacks by owning corner stores is ridiculous.

Comment

Working...
                    X