No announcement yet.

Thomas Hearns' welterweight resume is limited for an ATG

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thomas Hearns' welterweight resume is limited for an ATG

Even someone like Antonio Margarito has a better one than him, and that's no knock on Margarito who was a very good fighter but Thomas Hearns is considered one of the very best Welterweights of all time despite not doing much at the weight.

I thought long and hard about doing this thread as I am a big Hearns fan unlike Aaron Pryor but it simply has to be done. You can't possibly tell me with a straight face you are impressed with his wins at welterweight can you? Hearns is clearly a amazing fighter to watch and everything but when you are considered one of the very best of a number of golden welterweights i expect a much better resume.

Thomas Hearns' notable WINS at welterweight: Pipino Cuevas- Good fighter but nothing special, this is pretty much the only big win on his welterweight resume, sometimes I wonder if i am going mad and accidentally missed something but nope. Cuevas was a good fighter but he lost 5 of his first 12 fights, the main standout thing about him is that he defended the title 12 times but if you look who he defended it against that doesn't say much at all, he hadn't beat one elite fighter in his career. Not to mention he got a title shot IMMEDIATELY after losing a fight and people love to talk about how current fighters are gifted title shots

Thomas Hearns stepped up and took the huge unification against Sugar Ray Leonard, he deserves credit for this but no matter how you slice it he lost, that hurts to say as a fan of his but he faded late and lost the fight.

Antonio Margarito's notabe WINS at weltweight: Green Sergio Martinez

Prime undefeated Miguel Cotto

Joshua Clottey

Undefeated Kermit Cintron

Prime undefeated Cotto alone is better than any WIN Thomas Hearns had at welterweight but solid victories over Cintron and Clottey put him ahead by a considerable margin. Martinez was early in his career without a doubt but it's still notable considering what he went on to achieve.

To conclude, this shows how overall the current era is no weaker than any other previous era. it seems like people just hear 'big 4 1980's OMG' and then forget about the rest of the division, accept it for what it is and refuse to challenge to strength of the so-called amazing era these people fought in.

I'm surprised no one has ever pointed this out before (to my knowledge), it's pretty incredible that Hearns gets a pass for this.

Enough of accusing me of 'trolling' as a way to get off topic because i'm tired of that. TALK ABOUT THE TOPIC. If what i am saying is so outrageous then prove me wrong.

If reading this made your blood boil take a deep breath, think about Thomas Hearns welterweight resume and then tell me what your problem is.
    Hearns- his win over Pipino Ceuvas
    68.00%
    Margarito- his wins over prime Cotto, Martinez, Clottey and Cintron
    32.00%
    Last edited by Sir Babatunde; 08-10-2014, 04:20 PM.

Too bad Plasterito won all those while cheating.

Comment

i'm pretty sure his fights with duran, leonard, hagler, benitez, hill, etc. at 154 and up helped a little?

did i miss something? do we judged boxers by 1 weight division now?

pacquiao sucks. his 135 resume ain't ****.

mayweather blows. he didn't fight anyone good at 140.

Comment

btw hearns was only at 147 for 4 years.

mostly as a young, up and coming fighter was only champ for a year.

he wasn't a lifelong 147 fighter like others were.

Comment

Originally posted by Left Hook Tua View Post
          i'm pretty sure his fights with duran, leonard, hagler, benitez, hill, etc. at 154 and up helped a little?

did i miss something? do we judged boxers by 1 weight division now?

pacquiao sucks. his 135 resume ain't ****.

mayweather blows. he didn't fight anyone good at 140.
          He is a great fighter of course but he is widely regarded as one of the very best WELTERWEIGHTS of all time therefore i'm looking at what he did at that weight, i'm not going to look at what he did at cruiserweight to determine if he is ATG at welterweight am i?

Duran was 3 divisions above his optimal weight for Hearns and clearly was past his prime. Benitez was an excellent fighter but a fighter who lacked dedication, he didn't train as hard has he should of and underachieved. Hagler knocked him out and Hill was way above 147 so that's not relevant.

Comment

Just looking at his 147 run Cuevas was viewed as a stud and he destroyed him then beat some lower ranked guys before fighting Leonard in a very tough fight that he happened to come up short in. Plus he was laying dudes out at 147 will take that any day.

Comment

Originally posted by The Gambler1981 View Post
              Just looking at his 147 run Cuevas was viewed as a stud and he destroyed him then beat some lower ranked guys before fighting Leonard in a very tough fight that he happened to come up short in. Plus he was laying dudes out at 147 will take that any day.
              This is my point, i love watching Hearns kick butt however at welterweight he was simply destroying nobodies besides Cuevas, many have done this at various weight classes.

The fact you referred to the people he destroyed as 'dudes' further proves this. If they were notable names you would have given a list.

Comment

While i agree that Margarito's achievements at WW are better. Hearns is probably one of the top 5 better H2H WW boxers ever.

There's no one, NO ONE, i can see going the distance with him at WW right now (or even 154).

He was a beast.

Comment

You're citing the likes of Clottey, Martinez and Cintron while ignoring longstanding contenders from that era like Clyde Gray, Harold Weston, Randy Shields and Angel Espada.

Hearns body of work was stretched out over five divisions, with the two most notable victories coming at 154. He was an outstanding fighter at 147, but the very best fighters in that division were already beaten by Leonard before Hearns got to them.

As far as this era being "no weaker",

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Babatunde View Post

Duran was 3 divisions above his optimal weight for Hearns and clearly was past his prime.
                    true.

but remember how duran went 15 rounds with hagler AT 160 a year before hearns KHTFO early?

or duran going to war with iran barkley at 160 like 10 yrs later.

duran was no joke even old, past prime and above his optimal weight.

Comment

Working...
                    X