No announcement yet.

Bernard Hopkins vs Sergey Kovalev Prefight Prediction & Discussion Thread

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cseeley1987 View Post
    Anybody know kovalev's ring walk music? He plays it every time he comes to the ring but I can't find the name anywhere. Thanks
    i think is this one

i heard it in this highlight by the way.

Comment

Hopkins, Kovalev, Stevenson...

I went back and saw each of their last fights and here is what I came up with...

Hopkins vs. Shumenov:
      Hopkins controlled the pace for the entire fight getting the best of most of the exchanges. Even though his punching power was not impressive his boxing was, as it always is. Shumenov tried trading with Hopkins at times but Hopkins was able to duck the majority of his big punches. I found 4 rounds to give to Shumenov but obviously he did not do enough to win.

Stevenson vs. Fonfara:
      Stevenson struggled with Fonfara, especially with Fonfara's left hook. Fonfara was definitely game for the fight but doesn't have close to the punching power needed to knockout Stevenson whose defense was iffy at best. Stevenson kept his jab hand (right hand) way too low through most of the fight which gave him some trouble.

Kovalev vs. Caparello:
      After a flash knockdown in the first round it seems Kovalev was done feeling out his opponent and wanted to move on to bigger and better things. It seems he forgot any strategy he showed up with and just wanted to Krush Caparello, which he was able to do with much ease in the second round.

If Kovalev faced Stevenson it would be a very intriguing fight, Stevenson is probably the better boxer but Kovalev is significantly more aggressive. Kovalev has a killer left hook that in my opinion would finish the fight in the early rounds so long as he avoids Stevenson straight left hand. From what I have seen Kovalev can take a better punch than Stevenson but both have only fought questionable opponents and Kovalev has dominated more than Stevenson.

Kovalev wins in 4 by KO

As for Hopkins vs. Kovalev I see Hopkins dominating the pace in the early rounds of the fight, possibly the first 4 or 5 rounds and then in the middle rounds Sergey will begin to connect and Hopkins will start running which will work for a couple of more rounds. By round 8 Hopkins will be too tired and forced to fight Kovalev and at that point I see Kovalev connecting with combinations to the head and body which we have seen time and time again. Kovalev will get touched by Hopkins throughout but will never have to respect his punching power and will walk through anything Hopkins will be able to throw. Kovalev's toughest and longest test to date.

Kovalev wins in 10 by TKO

Comment

Working...
      X