Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did Kovalev Say He was Going To Try To Box Hopkins. Bad Strategy. Won't Work.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DoubleMM View Post
    he will not be able to tie up kovalev...kovalev is extremely well balanced and takes steps back...hopkins is going to get hurt in this one.
    Kovalev is definitely not "extremely well balanced", (one of the reasons why he got dropped yesterday) but he keeps hitting you in the clinch which makes his opponents wary of clinching.

Comment

I have massive respect for Hopkins but Kovalev will be too much for B Hop at his age.

Comment

Originally posted by Light_Speed View Post
        The way he "boxes" is not what most people have in mind when they hear that word. His trainer John David Jackson is very smart and he fought and trained B-Hop in the past, they know what they're doing.
        He was also dominated and knocked out by Hopkins. Doesn't really say much about the knowledge he has of him.

Comment

i dont think he meant he was going to box him as in hit and not get hit. i got the impression he was trying to say he was going to fight him the same as everyone else, "just box, you know? i think he meant to say boxing but like golovkin his english failed him (btw, how a pro fighter who primarily fights in america doesnt know the ways to bend the word describing his progression is beyond me). but anyways, thats how i read it based on his tone of voice and everything.

saying he wont look for the KO i perceived as he wont load up, which is vital if he is to have a chance against hopkins. he needs to just apply constant pressure, throw in volume and break him down. if he catches him at some point, great. but he cant look for that one punch or he will be looking for 12 rounds then looking at hopkins walking off with his belt.

Comment

Originally posted by slicksouthpaw16 View Post
            He was also dominated and knocked out by Hopkins. Doesn't really say much about the knowledge he has of him.
            thats just dumb. just because you dont have the talent to beat someone doesnt mean you dont have the know how, jackson didnt have any of the tools that make kovalev the fighter he is.

sharing a ring with someone then spending about 10 years in someones camp is going to help you pick up on things which in turn will give you an advantage. knowing how your opponent thinks, how he trains and how he operates in every aspect of his profession.

thing is hopkins is smart too and he knows how JDJ thinks as well. none the less the bigger advantage is with JDJ and kovalev.

Comment

Originally posted by #1Assassin View Post
              thats just dumb. just because you dont have the talent to beat someone doesnt mean you dont have the know how, jackson didnt have any of the tools that make kovalev the fighter he is.

sharing a ring with someone then spending about 10 years in someones camp is going to help you pick up on things which in turn will give you an advantage. knowing how your opponent thinks, how he trains and how he operates in every aspect of his profession.

thing is hopkins is smart too and he knows how JDJ thinks as well. none the less the bigger advantage is with JDJ and kovalev.
              Your last sentence my friend, is what I would define as dumb. For some reason, a trainer that has trained the opponent that his fighter is fighting never does any better, at least the fights that I've witnessed. They were saying the same bs when Rios was fighting Pacquaio and that Ariza was suppose to supposedly give Rios some key information that would lead to a victory. Hopkins clearly has the advantage in terms of what I'll call "pre fight research". He's been down this road plenty of times, and have been studying Kovalev ever since he came on the scene. There's a reason why he's taking this fight. Just as was the case with Trinidad, Pavlik, Pacal, Tarver ect, he's sees a pure puncher that he can outsmart, and that has not had his stamina tested in the late rounds. Also, you may wanna check your facts. John David Jackson was hired on for the Tarver fight and was there for the Calzaghe fight. Nothing suggests that he was in Hopkins camp for anywhere near 10 years. A few fights, would be more accurate.

Comment

lmao dude will end up looking like Canelo against Floyd if he tries that ish.

Comment

It was obvious what he meant. He meant he is going to do whatever it takes to win the fight whether the KO was coming or not.

Kovalev is a lot more dangerous than Kelly Pavlik or Pascal was. I love how he throws lead rights and jabs to the body. The guy has some serious boxing skill. I would never bet against Hop though even at this point.

Comment

I think Kovalev is going to have the same game plan he's had against all his other opponents (i.e. Seek and Destroy).

Kovalev said "box", but I think it was more of a language breakdown.

Comment

Can someone make a Hopkins School of Boxing Meme with Kovalevs picture where the Chalkboard says Mr Hopkins and Kovalev is raising his hand. Kind of Like the Mr Lara and Canelo was raising his hand like he had the answer.

Comment

Working...
                      X