Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What GGG gains if Cotto Vacates his WBC Title? Other Champs?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DoktorSleepless View Post
    If you want to quibble about the semantics, then just simply call it THE middleweight championship. Cotto has that. Its vacted if he announces hes never fighting at 160 again.
    And who that hell have done that before?

Comment

Of course MW revolves around Cotto, only a fanboy would say otherwise. Who is the biggest draw there? Who is The Ring champ there? I mean Cotto is not even a MW, size-wise, yet he's better than some of the top MW's there, which shows the state of that division and the quality. If Cotto leaves MW, which he should, 160's stock will drop way down. GGG fans are having fun right now talking about Cotto vs GGG, but once Cotto leaves they'll have cheap fights like Soliman, Rubio, Murray, Geale, Macklin, etc. all of these B names.

It's like a baseball team who signs one good player, and all the burden is on that player to produce. The player has no protection in the lineup, the fans want him to hit a home run in every at bat. While if Cotto goes down to 154, he'll have a lot of protection, he won't be the only star of the team, he has Canelo sharing the burden, he has Lara, Trout, Andrade, possibly Mayweather, possibly Bradley, Thurman fights at 154 occasionally, Kirkland, Angulo. Cotto at 160 is a star player with no protection, and at 154 he is a star player among other star players. It seems like the burden is on Cotto at 160 to produce good fights. 160 revolves around Cotto.

Comment

GGG vs Cotto is a potentially big fight. Cotto just defeated Martinez, which was a bit of a surprise and raised his stock. Mayweather already beat Cotto, but had a relatively hard time doing it. He probably doesn't want Cotto again now that he's fighting heavier. Though Canelo is popular, he didn't look very good against Lara. The facts that Cotto is huge in MSG, and Golovkin the KO artist got a KO in his debut there, make for a great matchup.
        Last edited by SUBZER0ED; 08-02-2014, 01:49 PM.

Comment

Donaire when he moved from 118 to 122.

Comment

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
            Of course MW revolves around Cotto, only a fanboy would say otherwise. Who is the biggest draw there? Who is The Ring champ there? I mean Cotto is not even a MW, size-wise, yet he's better than some of the top MW's there, which shows the state of that division and the quality. If Cotto leaves MW, which he should, 160's stock will drop way down. GGG fans are having fun right now talking about Cotto vs GGG, but once Cotto leaves they'll have cheap fights like Soliman, Rubio, Murray, Geale, Macklin, etc. all of these B names.

It's like a baseball team who signs one good player, and all the burden is on that player to produce. The player has no protection in the lineup, the fans want him to hit a home run in every at bat. While if Cotto goes down to 154, he'll have a lot of protection, he won't be the only star of the team, he has Canelo sharing the burden, he has Lara, Trout, Andrade, possibly Mayweather, possibly Bradley, Thurman fights at 154 occasionally, Kirkland, Angulo. Cotto at 160 is a star player with no protection, and at 154 he is a star player among other star players. It seems like the burden is on Cotto at 160 to produce good fights. 160 revolves around Cotto.
            Thats is a great post! But good luck trying to talk sense to some of this fan boys!

Comment

Originally posted by DoktorSleepless View Post
              Its not about Cotto vacating his wbc belt. That doesnt matter. Its about vacating his lineal championship by announcing his permanent return to 154. Rubio doesnt get the lineal championship by getting the wbc belt.
              What happens to a lineal title when a champion vacates? I've read there's no agreed resolution.

Comment

I'm a bigger Cotto fan than a GGG fan and I wouldn't like to see this fight because Miguel would get badly, badly hurt.

Other Cotto fans on this site have lost their goddamn mind, they are beginning to sound like the psychotic Mayweather fans each day. Boxing is a business, who has GGG beat, GGG can't draw flies to shiet....

Comment

Originally posted by Weebler I View Post
                  What happens to a lineal title when a champion vacates? I've read there's no agreed resolution.
                  You cant vacate being the lineal champ, thats imposible, I already have explain this a million times!

Comment

Originally posted by Garcia's Dad View Post
                    I'm a bigger Cotto fan than a GGG fan and I wouldn't like to see this fight because Miguel would get badly, badly hurt.

Other Cotto fans on this site have lost their goddamn mind, they are beginning to sound like the psychotic Mayweather fans each day. Boxing is a business, who has GGG beat, GGG can't draw flies to shiet....
                    Ward doesn't make financial sense doe!

Comment

Originally posted by ChampBox@PR View Post
                      Ward doesn't make financial sense doe!
                      GGG has never fought at 168, makes 160 with ease. Theres future fights with Cotto and possibly Canelo at 160, got Quilin too. Theres a Lineal Champ in his weight class in Cotto, who just beat the top 160lb'er and on the p4p list In Martinez. It makes sense to stay at 160, which is his current weight class.

Comment

Working...
                      X