Soliman waiting for Geale-Golovkin winner

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soliman waiting for Geale-Golovkin winner

We might finally be having a middleweight unification bout

AUSTRALIA’S world middleweight champion Sam ``King’’ Soliman says he is knocking back lucrative offers to defend his title so he can focus instead on fighting the winner of the Daniel Geale-Gennady Golovkin fight in New York on July 27 (Australian time).

``I’m getting offers from everywhere,’’ Soliman said.

``I’ve had offers to fight Andy Lee in Ireland, Anthony Mundine in Australia — I’ve had interest from Matthew Macklin and Martin Murray in the UK.

``I’ve been offered plenty of easy fights but I’m 40 now and I only want the really big fights at the end of my career. The biggest fight for me is to unify the world titles against the Geale-Golovkin winner.’’

Soliman won the IBF middleweight title, once held by Geale, when he totally dominated German Felix Sturm for a second time in May.

The victory capped an extraordinary 17-year roller-coaster career in professional boxing after early success as a Melbourne kickboxer.

Geale challenges Golovkin for the WBA title at Madison Square Garden in New York, with Soliman believing Golovkin has the power to win.

``Golovkin is the heavy favourite for a good reason,’’ Soliman said. ``If Geale is at his very best and boxes to his full potential he could pull off an upset. Golovkin will be hard to toss but no fighter is unbeatable.

``I think I have the style to frustrate Golovkin and hopefully he’ll be ready to fight me for the unified world title around November.’’

Soliman’s next mandatory challenger will be decided in an elimination fight between American Curtis Stevens, who gave Golovkin some tough moments before being knocked out at Madison Square Garden last year, and former WBO champ Hassan N’Dam of France.

A date and venue has yet to be decided.

Soliman said he expected the chunky Stevens to win the eliminator but said he wasn’t interested in facing him until 2015 after first facing Golovkin or Geale.
    Source: http://www.news.com.au/sport/boxing/...-1226990888086

Massive credit goes out to Sam for avoiding all the phonies and pretenders and actually chasing a big fight.

A lot of offers to get him to go to their hometown.... nobody offered to fight him in Aussie except for the guy from Australia?

Comment

No one wants to see Soliman fight. Golovkin should try to go for Cotto or move to 168 for some potential big fights.

Comment

I want him to wait for Golovkin to be done with Geale. Give the belts to Golovkin so no one at 160 has a reason not to issue challenges to the champ. And those who move up to the weight know what they're up against.

Comment

It would be a good showcase fight, Soliman was dropped hard by Sturm. Golovkin would put his lights out.

It does nothing for Golovkin legacy wise, but adding another belt would make him even more recognizible and the best middleweight in the world. People WOULD have to fight him.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostBlade View Post
            No one wants to see Soliman fight. Golovkin should try to go for Cotto or move to 168 for some potential big fights.
            I think Golovkin fans would be more than happy to see him unify three titles.

It's not like we only see Golovkin twice a year, he'll be back fighting in a month or two again in Monaco.

Comment

Soliman had a very inspirational road to a title. The guy should do public speaking seminars and stuff if he doesn't already.

Comment

Yea I wanna see ggg fight a 40 year old... Just move up already

Comment

Respect to Soliman, we need unification bouts, fractured titles are bogus.

Comment

Originally posted by HanzGruber View Post
                    Yea I wanna see ggg fight a 40 year old... Just move up already
                    You don't want to see him at all, so it's of no relevance to you really.

The guy couldn't find opponents not long ago, now the IBF champion wants to fight him. This is good for boxing, hopefully the same happens for Kovalev and those avoiding him.

Comment

Working...
                    X