No announcement yet.

Will boxing ever use instant replay?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will boxing ever use instant replay?

Is it really even possible? With the time limits, live scoring, and rather odd things that can happen in the ring at any moment, would it make sense to use instant replay?

Say they used instant replay and it earned Provodnikov another KD? Or maybe it was a slip and just a punch that missed and the ref had the bad angle. Could we then punish low blowing "veteran" tactics?

Boxing needs instant replays. They can implement something like the MLB has, I think each coach gets 2 replays a game. In boxing, each coach can have up to 2 replays a fight to object a call they thought might have been blown, like a KD, headbutt which caused a cut was ruled as a "punch", low blow ruled a knock down, shoving/non punch makes a fighter fall and it gets ruled a KD, etc.

It starts with the sanctioning bodies. WBC has to start it. Unfortunately since boxing is not under one sanctioning body/promotional company it's going to tough to do it for every fight, but it can start by doing it for the big/rich fights.

Comment

I wouldn't mind it being used in between rounds to confirm/check knockdowns or what caused cuts, but sometimes these things can be so subjective even a second look won't clear things up. If they do it's gonna have to be like the NFL where only absolute evidence can overturn the original call.

I don't want to see checking for fouls or stuff like that. Refs are always going to miss calls that's just human nature and it's part of all sports.

Comment

They have used it, Martinez v Murray. It doesn't work because boxing officiating is corrupt.

You have judges who watch one guy beat the crap out of the other for 36 minutes who still give the loser the decision, why would instant replay be any better?

Comment

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
          Boxing needs instant replays. They can implement something like the MLB has, I think each coach gets 2 replays a game. In boxing, each coach can have up to 2 replays a fight to object a call they thought might have been blown, like a KD, headbutt which caused a cut was ruled as a "punch", low blow ruled a knock down, shoving/non punch makes a fighter fall and it gets ruled a KD, etc.

It starts with the sanctioning bodies. WBC has to start it. Unfortunately since boxing is not under one sanctioning body/promotional company it's going to tough to do it for every fight, but it can start by doing it for the big/rich fights.
          So if a wrong KD call however it may be happens say in the last 20 seconds of the round and the ref gave Fighter A the KD and it made it a 10-8 round despite being close and possibly Fighter B's round prior to the blown KD call. Should the judges just be told to keep tab on two scores for that round just incase a corner wants a review? If they want to object a call it should be done in that round/round break only.. no waiting till the 12th for a recall on the 1st round.

Comment

it's a fight, just let them duke it out, the less regulations the better. It's only an issue when too many clear fouls are being committed, but this is a bloodsport, fouls are going to happen.

Comment

We should at least have like initiated clinches counters appointed by sanctioning bodies. If fighters reach 10 initiated nonsense holds, stern warning then point deduction. By that I mean, aggressive holds(Wlad jumping onto Povetkin), hooking the arms of your opponent.

Comment

No Way on "Instant Replay". It will kill the rhythm of a fight if they did this.
                The only way it could work is if they did it in between rounds to check for knockdowns instead of slips.

Low blows and headbutts are a different animal and sometimes its a 50/50 call as to whether it was intentional , on the belt line , or accidental.

Comment

i know they have done it for some fights but it should be standard for all fights by now..

all you need to do is add another official ref outside the ring who will be able to monitor calls, missed kds, fouls etc via instant replay seconds after they happen.. he can signal to the in-ring ref during the fight, or when the rounds over..

there's no excuse for any bad calls to happen anymore, they need to make better use of the advanced technology and might need to update some of the rules (like with the addition of another ref outside the ring) but it needs to be standardized soon

Comment

Originally posted by - Righteous - View Post
                    it's a fight, just let them duke it out, the less regulations the better. It's only an issue when too many clear fouls are being committed, but this is a bloodsport, fouls are going to happen.
                    I agree on that, I don't think its worth it to replay hip shots and accidental fouls, it is a fight and things will happen. But a lot of people say Provodnikov could of at least had a Draw with Bradley after Provodnikov had him stumbling around and ref said it was a slip.

Comment

Working...
                    X