Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cotto vs Canelo: Why the big push for it?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cotto vs Canelo: Why the big push for it?

I can certainly see the appeal of this type of matchup. It's a passing of the torch type of fight. From one latino star - to the next. It's a "classic" Mexico vs Puerto Rico fight. It's old vs new but at the end of the day, the only beneficiary of post fight accolades would be for Canelo - not Cotto.

With a Canelo win - Cons
    -Cotto's been washed up - big deal
    -He's not the legit champion until he fights GGG
    -He only looks good against washed up fighters - where was he against Floyd?

With a Canelo loss
    -He's a Broner level hypejob - still
    -No matter what he does in the future - he'll never be good enough - losing to 2 past prime, aging fighters

With a Cotto win - Cons
    -No glory; Canelo was already undressed and exposed by Floyd
    -He was still young and inexperienced
    -Not defending against a true MW
    -Where's GGG?

With a Cotto loss
    -Confirms that he's washed up - time to retire
    -Martinez fight was a fluke

I see this fight as a lose lose for both participants and really nothing to be gained, other than a boatload of cash for both fighters - but that does nothing for us, so who cares. It's not a legacy fight for Cotto, which is what he should be gunning for now unless Rubio comes bring legal heat. So Cotto should only be looking at GGG and Floyd. Those should be his end cap fights. Not be a stepping stone for a young gun which is what I see this as.

Canelo should be carving out his own history at this point and looking at continuing to fight guys amongst 'his' generation. Keep fighting quality guys like Lara and Trout. Build his career fighting guys in his class, both in division age and skill set. He went up against Floyd and got undressed in embarrassing fashion. Since then - he has one good win in his career, against Trout. He'll get another win imo against Lara. Otherwise, he's feasted on really washed up guys like Cintron, Baldomir, Mosley and Angulo. If he were to lose against not necessarily a washed up guy - but definintely a past prime guy like Cotto - you'd have to question him in his entirety.

I just don't see the point to be honest - other than have a war of nations on NSB that'll surely be the most annoying thing ever. It does nothing to enhance either fighter's legacy.

Agree or disagree - I am interested in why there is such a big push. I rather each just go different directions

Does this really need to be asked? This the number 3 & 4 top draws in boxing fighting against each other.

This is the Latin version of Pac vs Mayweather.

Personally i think Canelo is just too big, young, and fresh for Cotto at this point but who knows, Cotto just knocked out a Prime Sergio Martinez. He probably KOs Canelo also.

Comment

Originally posted by bopbopbbe View Post
      Does this really need to be asked? This the number 3 & 4 top draws in boxing fighting against each other.

This is the Latin version of Pac vs Mayweather.

Personally i think Canelo is just too big, young, and fresh for Cotto at this point but who knows, Cotto just knocked out a Prime Sergio Martinez. He probably KOs Canelo also.
      Lol Pac vs Mayweather equivalent

That was literally the two best fighters on the planet - in their primes. Best fight that could have been made in 10+ years at the time

Cotto vs Canelo is the classic changing of the guard fight, nothing more, nothing less. Nothing like Pac vs May

I mean - if the fight was at MSG - I'd certainly go - all hypocritical and ish - I still don't think it does anything for either fighter

Comment

I think people are more looking at if from the standpoint of the magnitude of the event and the style clash.

Not so much as a resume/legacy building fight for either guy. What Cotto did was great but let's not lose sight that he is fighting well past his prime. It would still be a decent win for Canelo but Trout has a win over Cotto already so you got to keep it in perspective.

If Cotto wins I think it does much more for him especially if Canelo beats Lara. If he beats Lara you can't call him a hypejob because Lara is the best fighter at 154 as it stands today.

If Canelo loses to Lara the fight will still get made and will still be huge. It would be a comeback/do or die type of fight for Canelo to get him back on track.

Comment

**** the detractors! Ive hated on victories myself. You'll never be able to convince me that Martinez knees weren't shot since the end of the Chavez fight and that Roach is not opportunist. That said Cotto did look phenomenal, I dont think he has the chin or power to stop GGG so make the money fights. Canelo and Mayweather are big money fights. Canelo would do a 50/50 or maybe even a 60/40 in Cottos favor. Mayweather will be the prima donna he always is in negotiations. So **** Money and fight Canelo.

Comment

Cotto/Canelo would probably be the fourth biggest fight in the history of the sport.

I also can't think of a PPV fight since Pac/Cotto that was that much of a lock for foty.

Comment

I'm pushing for it because Cotto has the balls (and the skills) to go toe to toe with the younger red-head bomber. And I expect a fire-fight from two of my favorite fighters. Two of the great warriors of the past 10-years. Whether Cotyo has seen his better days or not.

Comment

It'll be a huge event and an exciting fight amongst two of the biggest stars in the sport.

Comment

I would want that fight only if its at MSG!

Comment

The same thing you wrote can be done to every other fight.

Comment

Working...
                    X