No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Abner Mares Very Satisfied With Move To Virgil Hunter

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Box-Office View Post
    Mares is obviously impressed with what he saw in Khan 2.0 after the Collazo performance and what Hunter did with Khan.
    But Khan can actually box, Mares doesn't have Khan's attributes, if he teaches him the same thing he's teaching Ward and Khan, Mares will look like Angulo.

Comment

Originally posted by PACnPBFsuck View Post
      But Khan can actually box, Mares doesn't have Khan's attributes, if he teaches him the same thing he's teaching Ward and Khan, Mares will look like Angulo.
      I disagree. Angulo and Mares are 2 completely different fighters. Angulo is awesome to watch but his best qualities are power and chin, he has no feet nor hand speed and he isn't known for his "boxing". Mares on the other hand can box and learns quite well. Ex: Mares vs Agbeko 1. Atrocity of a fight where Mares fought dirty and barely scratched off the win because Agbeko has an awkward style. Agbeko vs Mares II : Mares won easily without reverting to his dirty tactics and was a much superior fighter than when they first met. Mares has shown growth and skill over the years, Angulo has not.

Also, what led to Mares getting KTFO vs Gonzalez? IMO his inability to regain composure. Blame it on his inexperience in such a situation but i assure you if Mares would have held on or gotten on a "bicycle" for the remainder of the round, the fight might have gone a different route. Sadly he didn't and he attempted to slug it out like Khan used to do and ended up being connected by a beautiful hook. Perhaps Virgil can provide a solution to Mares's "machista" moments whenever he is hurt again in his career, which at one point is bound to happen again.

Comment

I still think he's too small to be fighting up there. I mean, when they said they were trying to set up a Miura fight.... utter suicide

Comment

Mares can box too... Did you not see him vs Ponce? Mares is actually versatile and a smart fighter. He barely got the credit he deserved before getting KOed. And now that he got KOed people just make fun of him and talk **** without appreciating what he's done. And forgetting that he actually had the nuts to step up.

This is the reason promoters protect their fighters so much nowadays. Mares didnt get KOed by some bum. He got KOed by a decent fighter who used a very smart veteran like tactic. And it wasnt a weak shot either. It was a monstrous shot from a much bigger man.

Comment

I remember mares in the hill camp when they were doing the 24/7 angulo/ canelo. it was the whole stable angulo, berto, kahn, ward and mares. Seems to me he has been with this camp a while now. I think hunter will be a good fit, mares is a smart and disciplined. His fight game is only going to evolve for the best.

Comment

Mares can box, he would have never got passed Darchinyan if couldn't.

Comment

I politely disagree. Mares is actually a skilled fighter imo. Hunter can help him take less damage i.e. become boring, but Mares will not become Angulo. Then again it waits to be seen.

You don't defeat fighters like Moreno if you're just a straight forward brawler.

Originally posted by Aztekkas View Post
                I disagree. Angulo and Mares are 2 completely different fighters. Angulo is awesome to watch but his best qualities are power and chin, he has no feet nor hand speed and he isn't known for his "boxing". Mares on the other hand can box and learns quite well. Ex: Mares vs Agbeko 1. Atrocity of a fight where Mares fought dirty and barely scratched off the win because Agbeko has an awkward style. Agbeko vs Mares II : Mares won easily without reverting to his dirty tactics and was a much superior fighter than when they first met. Mares has shown growth and skill over the years, Angulo has not.

Also, what led to Mares getting KTFO vs Gonzalez? IMO his inability to regain composure. Blame it on his inexperience in such a situation but i assure you if Mares would have held on or gotten on a "bicycle" for the remainder of the round, the fight might have gone a different route. Sadly he didn't and he attempted to slug it out like Khan used to do and ended up being connected by a beautiful hook. Perhaps Virgil can provide a solution to Mares's "machista" moments whenever he is hurt again in his career, which at one point is bound to happen again.
                Add the fact he was caught cold and wasn't warmed up. It's like Dawson getting sparked out by Stevenson. Dawson is no joke and is certainly better than Bellew who lasted longer.

And yes Hunter will help him chill out on becoming a "macho man".

Originally posted by .:: JSFD26 ::. View Post
                Mares can box too... Did you not see him vs Ponce? Mares is actually versatile and a smart fighter. He barely got the credit he deserved before getting KOed. And now that he got KOed people just make fun of him and talk **** without appreciating what he's done. And forgetting that he actually had the nuts to step up.

This is the reason promoters protect their fighters so much nowadays. Mares didnt get KOed by some bum. He got KOed by a decent fighter who used a very smart veteran like tactic. And it wasnt a weak shot either. It was a monstrous shot from a much bigger man.
                The most annoying part was people saying Mares was exposed. As if Mares was some pampered cash cow. Mares was caught cold vs Gonzalez like Dawson was with Stevenson.

Comment

Working...
                X