No announcement yet.

Marquez: Skilled Cotto studied less skilled Martinez

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MaraVeeYah! View Post
    I personally think that Cotto beats any version of Sergio. Truth is, I was never impressed with Sergio's skills. He was fast and able to jump in on slower guys and be effective. I think Cotto would have timed him and hurt him regardless of age. Keep in mind, Sergio got stopped by a slow Margarito. I see no reason to pretend Cotto could not have taken Sergio out at any time in history. When we really look at Sergio's opponents, I just can't see how Sergio is supposed to give a fighter like Cotto real problems regardless. The fundamentals where just never there for Sergio.
    Cotto would have NEVER beaten a prime Martinez. Never.

Sergio was never a sound technical fighter, but he always pulled through spectacularly regardless. He has his own style and breaks all the rules but he still wins.

Comment

People knew Martinez looked bad in his last fight, knew he had a broken hand in that same fight and was coming off two knee surgeries and you guys still said he was too strong and/or big. He got hurt with the first solid punch Cotto landed, that was because of his knee?

Comment

Originally posted by - Righteous - View Post

Sergio was never a sound technical fighter, but he always pulled through spectacularly regardless. He has his own style and breaks all the rules but he still wins.
        Martinez is a great fighter, that's why he kicked the **** out of Chavez he is a ****ing bum. Just because you a bigger doesn't mean anything... Williams is quite possibly the most overrated fighter on this forum. Sloppy, sloppy fighter and was a KO just waiting to happen and he got beat by Cintron FFS, is it that hard to believe another slick southpaw like Sergio could it?

Comment

Originally posted by Beater_of_ass View Post
          People knew Martinez looked bad in his last fight, knew he had a broken hand in that same fight and was coming off two knee surgeries and you guys still said he was too strong and/or big. He got hurt with the first solid punch Cotto landed, that was because of his knee?
          He never had a fantastic chin, good recoop power though and ways of pulling through. Still don't think him getting dropped 3 times in rd 1 and recovering had much to do with the way the fight played out.

I was hoping he would be his old self again after some rest and rehab, clearly he wasn't and because of it the fight played out the way it did.

Comment

Originally posted by Beater_of_ass View Post
            Martinez is a great fighter, that's why he kicked the **** out of Chavez he is a ****ing bum. Just because you a bigger doesn't mean anything... Williams is quite possibly the most overrated fighter on this forum. Sloppy, sloppy fighter and was a KO just waiting to happen and he got beat by Cintron FFS, is it that hard to believe another slick southpaw like Sergio could it?
            Cotto would NEVER beat a prime Martinez. You can't miss on Cotto with a straight shot. His defense is horrible. Everybody Cotto has fought was able to land on him with ease. Also his stamina is horrible and he has trouble against fighters with movement and speed.

I posted those videos to show that the Martinez Cotto fought was a SHELL, literally a shell of himself.

Cotto beating up a shot fighter has made you people go crazy.
            Last edited by DARKSEID; 06-12-2014, 01:06 AM.

Comment

Cotto is the superior boxer to both Chavez jr and PWill. Sergio would have been a lost soul in there with Cotto 2 years ago too.

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughts View Post
                Cotto is the superior boxer to both Chavez jr and PWill. Sergio would have been a lost soul in there with Cotto 2 years ago too.
                just shoot me..........

Comment

just shoot me..........
                  Sergio has never faced a boxer like Cotto period. He clearly was lost out there and couldn't adjust to the left hook and Cotto cutting the ring. Even with legs of a 20 year old he wouldn't have been able to adjust. Why? Because he didn't know how to. His corner man couldn't even give him correct advice either.

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughts View Post
                    Sergio has never faced a boxer like Cotto period. He clearly was lost out there and couldn't adjust to the left hook and Cotto cutting the ring. Even with legs of a 20 year old he wouldn't have been able to adjust. Why? Because he didn't know how to. His corner man couldn't even give him correct advice either.
                    Paul Williams hit him with harder shots than Cotto's left hook over 12 rounds. Paul Williams hit him with thudding shots that echoed and that you could hear across the arena.

Sergio had the best legs and quickest reflexes of any current middleweight i've seen. He's literally twice as fast as cotto. You don't know what you're talking about.

I don't mean to disrespect anybody but i have to say the truth.
                    Last edited by DARKSEID; 06-12-2014, 01:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Spray_resistant View Post
                      Cotto is the better skilled boxer, Sergio was never a master technician. He was like Roy Jones in the sense that his style relied of athletic talent. Without his legs he had a hard time avoiding Cotto, getting away when he wanted, getting in when he wanted for offense, even if he was able to get in some offense no base of power on weak legs so forget a Paul William's like ko out of nowhere.

If you watch the fight his legs were such jello that in clenches in close Cotto a natural WW was easily muscling Sergio around like a rag doll.

That said, it was a big risk Cotto took not knowing how Sergio would perform, the rest could have rejuvenated him back to 100% for all he or anyone knew but he is getting old and there was no going back so Cotto's risk paid off and he won impressively even when going in favored by most myself included to get stopped.
                      Martinez was moving around that ring quite a bit, trying to avoid Cotto. You people are acting as if Martinez was motionless. Yeah, right.

Comment

Working...
                      X