• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Chrismart View Post
    Julio Cesar Vasquez - Feb 2020

BEST JAB
    Winky Wright
    : It was a fast, straight and sharp blow. He was constant with it and made it very difficult job to shorten the distance. He had a lot of technique, particularly with that punch.

BEST DEFENSE
    Pernell Whitake
    r: By far, he was the most difficult and had the best defense I’ve ever faced. It was incredibly hard to land shots on him. He had a unique and amazing ability to avoid almost every attempt to catch him with a powerful punch. The way he moved his body, together with his legs, his torso, and his defensive tactics, he was very hard to read. And after those movements, he answered with counterpunching. He was a genius.

BEST HANDSPEED
    Tyrone Trice
    : He was very fast with his hands and could hit you from any angle when you never expected it. I had to think of every move in order to beat him.

BEST FOOTWORK
    Carl Daniels
    : He was fast, a southpaw, and carried himself in an excellent way in the ring. He dominated his opponents with his footwork.

SMARTEST
    Whitaker
    : He was extremely smart. He knew what had to be done and when to do it.

STRONGEST
    Ramón Abeldaño
    : He was well known for his physical strength at that time and for resisting a lot of heavy punching. He rarely got knocked out. When I faced him, he had already been an Argentinean champion and won an international title, so he was confident in himself. He had a lot of experience (Abeldaño was 47-17-19, and Vásquez was 13-0). It was a very tough fight, but I finished it in the ninth round.

BEST PUNCHER
    Aaron Davis
    : He got me with several hard shots – extremely hard. If I hadn’t been properly trained, I wouldn’t have tolerated them and, of course, I wouldn’t have won. I was at my prime. With Boudouani, I wasn’t in the shape I should’ve been in.

BEST CHIN
    Tony Marshall
    : I remember hitting him during the whole fight and Marshall just [kept] taking all the blows and resisted to the end. Also, Akhmet Dottuev, Javier Castillejo, Anthony Ivory and Eusebio Escalante had good chins.

BEST BOXING SKILLS
    Davis
    . He was extremely skillful. It was my mandatory defense of the world title and I had to face someone like him who was an excellent fighter. He was very aggressive and very talented. People generally remember him for his all-action style, but he also had very good movements, good technique with his fists, intelligence, and he had an enormous heart.

BEST OVERALL
    Whitaker
    : No question about that. I have faced lots of very good boxers, I’ve had very hard fights, but there was nobody like him. He was the best by far.

Great one.

Comment

• Nikolay Valuev - March 2021

BEST JAB
      Larry Donald: The jab was one of his primary weapons. He did it better than anyone else I faced.

BEST DEFENSE
      Ruslan Chagaev: Ruslan Chagaev for sure. A somewhat slick southpaw. There was a big difference in size, because he was a lot smaller it was difficult to land.

FASTEST HANDS
      David Haye: He was more of a true cruiserweight than heavyweight and he was a lot faster than anyone else.

BEST FOOTWORK
      Donald: Larry Donald had the best footwork. There was a Ukrainian opponent, Taras Bidenko. I would say Donald.

BEST CHIN
      John Ruiz: I can’t recollect anyone in particular. If I hit somebody flush, they would fold. The only opponents who took the punches well were the ones who rolled with the punches. Most durable, take the intensity, probably Ruiz.

SMARTEST
      Evander Holyfield: The guys with good I.Q. were the guys I lost to, Chagaev and David Haye. Holyfield had the best ring I.Q, although at the time when I fought him, he was significantly older.

STRONGEST
      Jameel McCline: He twisted his knee, but he had a lot of raw power and strength.

BEST PUNCHER
      Holyfield: He was one of my toughest fights. He kept hitting me to the ribs and fractured one of the ribs. I couldn’t breathe properly for a month. It was very unorthodox, it was a punch up close, where he kept throwing hooks on the inside. It was very hard to defend against.

BOXING SKILLS
      Donald: Larry Donald was very classy all-round.

BEST OVERALL
      Holyfield: His ability to fight up close and he was able to continuously land those punches to the ribs.
      buge likes this.

Comment

• Henry Wharton - May 2021

BEST JAB
        Chris Eubank: He fired two jabs; he’d double it up, he almost chucked his first one away and landed the second shot, [it] would come six-to-eight inches longer and obviously that was with his body moving forward. I found his jab really difficult to get past. He seemed like he was very accurate with his left jab that night.

BEST DEFENSE
        Nigel Benn: He dipped really low, he was allowed to get away with going really, really low. The reason I say this is because I was disqualified three times as an amateur for doing something very similar. As an amateur your head in not supposed to go below the beltline. I found it really difficult to catch Benn clean, or to catch him at all. I was hesitant to attack when he was on the ropes because missing punches [meant that he was] coming back with shots.

BEST HANDSPEED
        Robin Reid: His hands were fast. A few times I thought I was out the way [and he hit me]. Maybe I was coming to the end of my career. I could see punches coming but couldn’t get out the way of them. I always thought he was a sharp fighter.

BEST FOOTWORK
        Sam Storey: His ring awareness is fantastic. I watched him long before I boxed him and always admired his style. I did a lot of homework for him and brought the right sparring partners in. He came with experience and his movement was fantastic.

SMARTEST
        Mauro Galvano: I was debating between Mauro Galvano and Giovanni Nardiello. Two smart fighters, very smart, ex-Olympians. [Galvano] was a big, tall guy, he caught me coming in a few times which wasn’t the norm. He was bringing me in and setting it all up. I got to him in the end.

STRONGEST
        Rod Carr: Rod Carr was without a doubt the strongest man I ever fought. Just strong and determined. Even when I tried to hold him to take a breath, he’d force your hands away.

BEST CHIN
        Eubank: That fight’s [back and forth], nobody knows who’s going to win. I hurt him a few times. I hit him and I know I had less effect with him than I would have with all the others. He was just like a rock.

BEST PUNCHER
        Benn: I was never hurt by him, but he hit me with one right hand and I always vividly remember I’d never felt anyone’s power quite like that. The gumshield came out of my mouth and he forced me to move.

BEST BOXING SKILLS
        Eubank: The showmanship took over a little bit, but I do think his boxing skill was brilliant. I think he was a phenomenal athlete. When he really wanted to [perform] and had to, I think he was one of the best.

BEST OVERALL
        Eubank: The night I fought him, I gave everything. I took a lot of punishment due to the eye. He still hit me and I hit him. I pushed him to him to the extreme. I came away from this fight and I don’t think I was the same fighter… I don’t think he was either. It was brutal from both of us, we both went somewhere that night.
        buge likes this.

Comment

Working...
        X